Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Core 2 Duo EFI install failure

Macbook Core 2 Duo EFI install failure
davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2010, 08:28 PM

I was trying to help my mother update her Macbook...I followed the EFI instructions...at least I think it did...now all it does on start up is beep 3 times short, 3 times long, then 3 more short, and restart over and over. It is long out of warranty...when I insert a snow leopard install disc and hold the c key...it just spits out the disc after a while...I also can't get the Macbook to connect in target mode via firewire 400. Any suggestions?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2010, 01:48 PM

Try resetting the PRAM by holding down Cmd+Option+P+R and pressing the power button. Wait for it to chime once, then chime a second time, then let go of the keyboard keys.

If that doesn't work, also try resetting the SMC. Info on how to do that for your machine is here.

If none of that works and the machine is under warranty, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your closest Apple Store and see what they can do for you.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2010, 04:01 PM

[o/t]

Hey shifu, long time no see. Glad to have you back. Merry Christmas.

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2010, 04:44 PM

Shif, can't you make a CD to recover the machine in event of a bad firmware flash? I'm sure I read about it sometime?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2010, 06:33 PM

Sure you can. You DO need a working machine to create the disk:
Firmware Restoration CD 1.8

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks AKcrab.
I'm thinking he'll want version 1.7 for that MacBook Firmware Restoration CD 1.7

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2010, 06:39 PM

Probably. I was lazy and didn't look for the exact one.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2010, 07:29 PM

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, I will make the disc right away and give it a try!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2010, 08:44 PM

Problem solved! I didn't describe the Macbook in sufficient detail, it is a Late 2007 13" 2.0Ghz Macbook, as such it needed Firmware Restoration CD 1.6. I've learned something new...I've never had a firmware update go south on me before. Thanks to my fellow Mann'ers I now know would to do should it happen again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules