Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Nice windows theme worth porting: SHADED

Nice windows theme worth porting: SHADED
Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 08:20 PM

I hope nobody has pointed this one out before. I really like this theme SHADED:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

I'd love to try porting it, but I have hardly any free time, and if you know me, you'll know that I have never finished any of the many themes I've started

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 10:30 PM

Can't be done (publicly), Heylove doesn't allow ports.

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2007, 06:29 AM

Ah, that must be why Heylove read and ignored my message.

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2007, 10:53 AM

It has already been done by a certain very telented themer, but like digitaljames said it can't be made public because the author
[whiny voice] doesn't allow ports [/whiny voice].

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2007, 08:52 PM

What a shame. Looks so much nicer on OS X, too

Azazell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 10:03 PM

hmm. Heh. all lets email him

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007, 09:54 AM

her
you can try - we did when the Aesthetic Groove thang was in the worx . . . she said "No".

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007, 11:49 AM

Both pc and mac can only be themed to a certain degree. If theme designers aren't happy with the outcome of a (partial therefor not perfect) port, I think we should respect their wishes.

Azazell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 12:47 PM

Well, there are only a few themes from windows worth porting, including Thinbar. Someone think somthing up!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2007, 09:26 AM

agree Gerrit - I tried to port part of "Decadence" and discovered that there are many areas the require interpretation as opposed to a clean port. It was a project in humility.

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 03:40 AM

I happen to like the way themes look "interpreted" through the OS X GUI but I guess not everyone shares that sentiment. =P

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrit Vanoppen View Post
If theme designers aren't happy with the outcome of a (partial therefor not perfect) port, I think we should respect their wishes.
I respectfully disagree...

As long as the original author is credited I personally don't see the problem with porting themes to other platforms. It's not like anybody's making any money from theming (people do it because they enjoy it) so where's the harm if someone wants to bring your work to a platform that otherwise wouldn't have benefited from it? If the author wants creative control over how the port turns out, they should do it themselves, otherwise they should let someone else pick up the ball if they want to.

Same goes for mods, denying permission for mods of a theme just seems arrogant to me; my work is perfect, who dares improve it? Worse, only allowing mods to be distributed in certain places just means that the wrong people are getting ad revenue from people's work.

This whole permission business is just holding things back on both sides. I think that themers should look to the open source movement for inspiration on how to work as a community for the benefit of the community.

[/soap box]

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2007, 06:18 PM

Just get Cerebro and that's all you will ever want.

Makki
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 06:22 PM

Oh shite not this argument again. History repeating itself.
Gerrit have you heard from XCali at all i miss her so much.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by glypht View Post
I respectfully disagree...

As long as the original author is credited I personally don't see the problem with porting themes to other platforms. It's not like anybody's making any money from theming (people do it because they enjoy it) so where's the harm if someone wants to bring your work to a platform that otherwise wouldn't have benefited from it? If the author wants creative control over how the port turns out, they should do it themselves, otherwise they should let someone else pick up the ball if they want to.

Same goes for mods, denying permission for mods of a theme just seems arrogant to me; my work is perfect, who dares improve it? Worse, only allowing mods to be distributed in certain places just means that the wrong people are getting ad revenue from people's work.

This whole permission business is just holding things back on both sides. I think that themers should look to the open source movement for inspiration on how to work as a community for the benefit of the community.

[/soap box]
I agree with you, Glypht. She should be taking it as a compliment that the Mac community wants to port her visual styles. I see nothing wrong with sending her the final outcome for approval before releasing it, but really, what does she think she stands to lose from Mac users having ports of her themes? Nobody's looking to make any money off the themes. We just want to be able to enjoy the themes on our platform. It just comes off as whiny and arrogant when people don't "allow" ports of their themes.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Forum Links
Forum Rules