Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This goes way beyond freezer burn...

This goes way beyond freezer burn... (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

I'm still here for you.

/got nothin'
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
No kidding, Shaddim. Don't you think you're being a little self-righteous about your avoidance of frozen dinners? It's just food, okay? And if you're a vegan or organic only or whatever, that's great for you, but quit passing judgment on those of us who do not have the time for home-cooked meals every night.

I also eat strawberries without washing them first. I've been ingesting pesticides since I can remember, and I have yet to grow a second head.
sex change operation?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 12:21 AM

Who gives a damn? She eats waffles. You make suggestions you give advice and then you move on.

And shif: you opened yourself up to this. You diet as described here isn't in any way healthy. Cholesterol, current relative health, are pretty meaningless indicators when compared to what you are apparently living off of. This isn't even from a health-nut perspective.

People will, either because they're trying to be helpful or trying to argue everything, react to these kinds of things. Posting things about yourself that you don't want to be debated/argued/criticized and expecting nobody to do this is a little much.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 12:38 AM

Hmm, sounds good. I love asparagus.

I don't know how much more content I can drag out of a frozen dinner.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
Hmm, sounds good. I love asparagus.

I don't know how much more content I can drag out of a frozen dinner.
you can drag a lot of this kind: Hungry-Man.com | I am a Hungry-Man

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 12:48 AM

*Sigh*

Dude, all I'm doing is calling you out on being a jerk to those of us who don't have the time to cook food every night. QUIT BEING A JERK, PLEASE.

This hearkens back to a thread several months ago where one user was openly mocking and juging those who were able to use credit cards and stay out of debt. Similarly, there are those who do not eat organic food and do not have a fresh-made meal every night, yet still remain healthy.

Please quit behaving in a judgmental manner towards those who eat differently than you. It's mean, rude, and unnecessary.
No, I don't think I will. You're obviously trying to shout me down, but it's just your opinion, just like what I'm saying is mine. I didn't start the aggressive tone, but I will stick around until the end. It's far too entertaining.

It's rare that someone will stay healthy with a diet like that, and when they reach middle age it'll hit them like a ton of bricks. Then they'll be scarfing down Lipitor and Diovan in an attempt to fix what they've been doing to themselves for 30+ years. How do I know? Check out the #1 cause of death in the US, and that's directly related to diet. Why? Because people are too lazy to eat healthy foods.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 01:24 AM

I eat Marie Calendar pot pies. Those are awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 01:39 AM

How about Crock-Pot recipes? Those avoid the problem of being too tired to cook after getting home from work, because you stick the stuff in the Crock-Pot in the morning before you go to work, set it to low heat, and when you get home, your meal is waiting for you (and making your apartment smell delicious).

Here's one I made last week that was pretty good. I think it originally came from some book, or maybe it came with the little recipe sample book that came with the Crock-Pot. I don't remember, but some time ago I thought it looked interesting so I typed it to an RTF file. Anyway, it goes like this: just toss these things into the Crock-Pot and mix them up:

1 1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1-14 oz. can tomatoes, drained and diced
1-14 oz. can artichoke hearts in water, drained
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted and sliced
1 cup nonfat chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 Tbs. quick cooking tapioca
2 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbs. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried sweet basil
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Then, just put the lid on, and set it on low. Come back 6 to 8 hours later, and voilà.

This was pretty good. I will say that it tasted like it could use a little extra spice, though. Next time I make it, I'm going to increase the amount of calamata olives and bump up the basil and thyme too and see what happens.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Nov 20, 2007 at 01:58 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Aussie Pies kick Marie Calendars ass!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 02:16 AM

heh

"assie pies" totally missed the u in there at first glance

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 20, 2007, 06:58 AM

Haven't you read the article on Slate about how Americans need to consume more poo?

Not literally, but we're so obsessed with cleanliness in our society now that people generally have much weaker immune systems than they used to. It's good for you to eat crap on your fruit and veggies once in awhile - it makes your body stronger in the long run.
You must have missed the thread were it was announced eating your boogers could boost your immune system.

So start digging girl.
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, I don't think I will. You're obviously trying to shout me down, but it's just your opinion, just like what I'm saying is mine. I didn't start the aggressive tone, but I will stick around until the end. It's far too entertaining.
Shaddim to be honest your first reply to her was kinda condescending and uppity. So if you make those kind of posts don't be surprised if you get said reaction. And certainly don't act as if it's her fault.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 20, 2007 at 07:04 AM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you like scat singing, shifuimam?
That didn't rhyme. Fail.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 09:21 AM

Not targeted at the OP, but can I suggest to anyone who has problems making time to cook good food in the week to cook triple the amounts on the weekend and freeze in microwave safe containers.

Home frozen food does not contain the sodium preservatives and (if you are careful) saturated fats of shop bought items. The real killer is the combination of saturated fats and sodium (salt) in processed foods, these are a nightmare if you consume in excess and will shorten you life.

Great items to freeze at home are homemade tomato pasta sauce / Bolognese sauce.

1) put the pasta on
2) Take a sauce serving out of the freezer and microwave in the micro-safe container.
3) pour the pasta sauce on the cooked pasta

9 minutes in total, one pasta pan to wash.

A great idea is to make one sauce on the weekend and then convert it into several dishes over the next few weeks, ie:

Make a basic tomato sauce out of finely chopped onion, fresh/canned tomatoes, oregano and olive oil.

Meal 1 just serve with pasta and parmesan on top= Spaghetti Neapolitan
Meal 2 add olives (from a jar), garlic (from a jar or tube) and chopped anchovy (from a jar) = Pasta Putinesca
Meal 3 add chili flakes, basil = Penne Arrabiata or a spicy tomato rice dish.

Also great for pizza sauce at the weekend.

These three are all tomato based and quite similar, so spread them out over two weeks or a month. You can do more complicated things with meat dishes that are just as quick to prepare.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 09:24 AM

I have two kids, my wife works at night, and so I need to handle the cooking.

For me the pre-made dinners are a Godsend. Now I will truly cook a meal but its nice to pop a meal in the micro and feed the hungry horde.

I find it a better use of my time to do that on occasion then try to cook a full blown meal.

On a side note, my Microwave blew up last week, and I had to really cook for a whole week before we had a chance to go out and by a new microwave. Man that was tough but I didn't order take out once

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
Your diet as described here isn't in any way healthy. Cholesterol, current relative health, are pretty meaningless indicators when compared to what you are apparently living off of. This isn't even from a health-nut perspective.
I do eat real food for lunch every day - it's not like my entire diet constantly consists of nothing but empty carbohydrates/sugar. I eat out sometimes for dinner - dates, walking down to Jimmy John's, etc. - and I eat in my office's cafeteria every day and usually get a chicken salad sandwich and/or a fresh salad.

And I do eat real food sometimes. More often than not, I don't, but I still eat real stuff once in awhile (usally on the weekends).

I've asked my doctor multiple times about my general health, and he's not in the least bit concerned, so I'd imagine I'm doing all right, regardless of what holier-than-though members on 'NN may say.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Mmm...chocolate chicken pot pie.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 20, 2007, 12:15 PM

I've asked my doctor multiple times about my general health, and he's not in the least bit concerned, so I'd imagine I'm doing all right, regardless of what holier-than-though members on 'NN may say.
Ever see that episode of South Park when a group of people buy those gas/electric cars and start acting snobbish and started patting themselves on the back so much that they began an addiction to smelling their own farts? (Meaning their poop doesn't stink)

Basically the same concept.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Shaddim to be honest your first reply to her was kinda condescending and uppity. So if you make those kind of posts don't be surprised if you get said reaction. And certainly don't act as if it's her fault.
"Sometimes you have to *slap* them in the face just to get their attention!"

For me it was far worse, the woman I was dating just came over to my place and started throwing my food in the garbage without asking me. She just stood at the freezer and began chucking my frozen dinners, pot pies, and microwavable burritos in the trash, along with pouring out all my soft drinks. However, she brought me several grocery bags full of good food, so it worked out well. Though I really can't say that I was in a good mood at the time.

Besides, it's always their fault. Posting a topic on a public forum opens a person to criticism, and eating habits are fair game!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 03:06 PM

For me it was far worse, the woman I was dating just came over to my place and started throwing my food in the garbage without asking me. She just stood at the freezer and began chucking my frozen dinners, pot pies, and microwavable burritos in the trash, along with pouring out all my soft drinks
That'd be my cue to undate her.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Or punch her in the ovaries.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:20 PM

No kidding. I'm not one to be interested in dating someone who insta-judges me or tries to change my life or me to make me into the girl they want to date.

I actually had a boyfriend who told me that, with work, I could be almost as good as he was. I have since grown a pair of balls and won't waste my time with someone who thinks I have work to do before I'm "good enough" for them. wtf...

Also: just because someone else was rude and condescending to you about something does not give you free license to treat others the same way. Ever.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:23 PM

No way, man. It just showed how much she actually cared.

When choosing friends and lovers, always keep the ones who challenge you. Then you can honestly say that your life will never be boring.
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:24 PM

Yes, I'm frequently turned on by men who think I'm not good enough or my life isn't good enough until I mold myself to what they consider to be the only acceptable standard of living.

/sarcasm

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 03:28 PM

No way, man. It just showed how much she actually cared.
Yeah, she cared enough not to bother asking you and doing what she wanted.

When choosing friends and lovers, always keep the ones who challenge you. Then you can honestly say that your life will never be boring.
No, I love a girl who is a challenge, so much so that I get bored if they can't give me some sh¡t. However, she didn't challenge you. She dominated you.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:29 PM

I actually had a boyfriend.... I have since grown a pair of balls
I know there's penis envy, but this...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:29 PM

Most people live in fear of others who stand up to them, it's just human nature.

Getting beyond that fear and being able to analyze yourself takes guts. More often than not, what they're saying makes sense, we're just too stubborn to see it.
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:30 PM

Undoubtedly.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Or punch her in the ovaries.
+1 to the babymaker!!!
no need for the pill dear, I've crippled your reproductive system

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

tarted throwing my food in the garbage without asking me
More often than not, what they're saying makes sense, we're just too stubborn to see it.
I'd agree if words had been involved. Like, "Honey, you eat unhealthy. Do you mind if I try to improve your diet?"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:36 PM

Some fellow members sound pretty whipped imo, that's ok I was once too.

No one should be throwing anything out without asking first. I don't care if it's a ten year old rotting apple - it could be a super-science experiment.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:37 PM

I'd agree if words had been involved. Like, "Honey, you eat unhealthy. Do you mind if I try to improve your diet?"
Well, there had been words, for about 4 months, I just didn't DO anything about it. Finally she just acted. In the end, she impressed me, it took some backbone.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Some fellow members sound pretty whipped imo, that's ok I was once too.

No one should be throwing anything out without asking first. I don't care if it's a ten year old rotting apple - it could be a super-science experiment.
Why, would it hurt your feelings?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:43 PM

No kidding. I'm not one to be interested in dating someone who insta-judges me or tries to change my life or me to make me into the girl they want to date.

I actually had a boyfriend who told me that, with work, I could be almost as good as he was. I have since grown a pair of balls and won't waste my time with someone who thinks I have work to do before I'm "good enough" for them. wtf...

Also: just because someone else was rude and condescending to you about something does not give you free license to treat others the same way. Ever.
I can tell, you seem like the type of person who bristles up when someone crosses a boundary. It really throws you off balance.
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:44 PM

There was this chick I dated in college, just because she put out like there as no tomorrow, and I'm going for something in one my kitchen cabinets, and I see like, 3 cans of tuna and a box of Saltines. I ask her where they came from, and she said she bought them and brought them over. She was totally moving in on my kitchen, which is total no-no.

End of game.

I got some one last time, then sent her on her way.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
There was this chick I dated in college, just because she put out like there as no tomorrow, and I'm going for something in one my kitchen cabinets, and I see like, 3 cans of tuna and a box of Saltines. I ask her where they came from, and she said she bought them and brought them over. She was totally moving in on my kitchen, which is total no-no.

End of game.

I got some one last time, then sent her on her way.

Did she already have a toothbrush in your bathroom?
- Thomas Paine

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 03:54 PM

Well, there had been words, for about 4 months, I just didn't DO anything about it. Finally she just acted. In the end, she impressed me, it took some backbone.
Discussion or agreement? Cos if you agreed to it and never got around to it... well you totally just had her do the work for you.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:56 PM

Did she already have a toothbrush in your bathroom?
I always kept extras for potential stay overs, so that was a given for any gal.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 03:58 PM

Why, would it hurt your feelings?

Would destroying a super-science experiment hurt my feelings? Are you mad?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2007, 03:58 PM

*tries to think of joke involving "canning" and "tuna."*

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:00 PM

Discussion or agreement? Cos if you agreed to it and never got around to it... well you totally just had her do the work for you.
We'd talked, and I had said I would, but I just hadn't followed through yet. I was dragging my feet and she kicked me in the ass to get me started.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Would destroying a super-science experiment hurt my feelings? Are you mad?
I'm a little crazy, but I wouldn't say I'm "mad".
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:05 PM

It's just as well. Trying to form a serious relationship, while attending college, is too distracting.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:06 PM

My god people, relax... What is with all of this psychoanalysis and righteous, unsolicited verdict of Shaddim here? Are you guys really that high on yourselves that you think you have all the nuance of the relationship figured out after just a few sparse posts of his?

Why so insulting? If you really think that he was originally being insulting to Shifiumam, since when do two wrongs make a right?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:09 PM

How many dates were necessary before you told them about pooping in the Empire State Building? You must have kicked ass with the ladies! How many did you have sex with?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:10 PM

My god people, relax... What is with all of this psychoanalysis and righteous, unsolicited verdict of Shaddim here? Are you guys really that high on yourselves that you think you have all the nuance of the relationship figured out after just a few sparse posts of his?

Why so insulting? If you really think that he was originally being insulting to Shifiumam, since when do two wrongs make a right?
Dude, shifuimam is my intarnet grrlfriend, so I have to stand up for her. BACK OFF!!11!!1!ELEVEN!!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 04:11 PM

Eleven!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:13 PM

eleventy billion

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:13 PM

I can tell, you seem like the type of person who bristles up when someone crosses a boundary. It really throws you off balance.
If by "crossing a boundary", you mean me dating someone who openly told me multiple times that I was less of a person than he was, but that if I just "worked at it", I had the "potential to be good enough", then yes. That doesn't just throw me off balance; it pisses me the hell off, because it's more or less abusive and manipulative.

If you meant that it "throws me off balance" to have some egotistical Mac fanboy telling me I'm less of a person than he is because I stoop to the level of preprocessed food, then no. That doesn't throw me off balance. It just makes me roll my eyes and assume that you're a similarly self-righteous jerk in real life.

I'm looking forward to my waffles tonight. Moreso than usual, even. All that warm butter and maple syrup...mmmmmmm.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:14 PM

The gentlemanly thing to do.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:14 PM

How many dates were necessary before you told them about pooping in the Empire State Building? You must have kicked ass with the ladies! How many did you have sex with?
The Empire State Building was recent.

Back in college, though, we would just get large fruits, like grapefruits or whatever, then call chicks, grunt, and drop the fruit into the toilet so it'd make a nice, loud "ploop" sound.

And yes, as you can imagine, teh laydees swarmed me like flies to a moose carcass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules