Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finally caught a break! (Macbook Refurb Story)

Finally caught a break! (Macbook Refurb Story)
jwpacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2008, 10:20 PM

Woohoo!

After months of missing the boat and having somebody snake them out from under me, I finally scored at the Apple Refurb store.

2.2 GHz Black Macbook/1GB/160/SD - $1049

I'm totally stoked at getting into this unit - instead of the $200 Black Mac Tax, I'm paying $50 (they had a near equivalent White MB for $999, slightly smaller HD, but otherwise the same). And between the great price I got, and the $90ish dollar upgrade to 4GB of RAM from OWC, I'm going to have one hell of a hot little notebook on my hands.

Anybody got any advice for a new refurb owner?
( Last edited by jwpacker; Mar 25, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: hit submit too soon)

idykenano
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2008, 10:23 PM

refurbs ftw. I'll be ordering my refurb 2.2 white mb as soon as the gift card I ordered comes in the mail (long story involving my need to pay with gift cards and 2 credit cards, which you can't do).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 10:27 PM

Congrats with the purchase! You'll love it. Refurbs are a great deal, cheaper than normal, with normal specs, but just a brown box instead of a nice white one

jwpacker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 06:00 PM

Well, it arrived yesterday, and I could not be happier.

Somebody at the refurbish center loves me, too, because it came with 2GB of RAM instead of the 1GB that was advertised.

I see, now, what everyone's been talking about in terms of fingerprints and the like, but it does come with a nice little black chamois to keep itself clean, and thus far it's been wicked fast with everything but, oh, Office 2004 (non-Universal binaries)

Can't recommend the refurb route enough.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2008, 06:02 PM

That's pretty awesome that it came with extra RAM, good deal there. My friend's iBook G4 came with 640 mb over the standard 256 mb, back when 640 mb was pretty amazing for an iBook

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2008, 04:26 AM

Congrats. That's a very nice deal on a good Mac.

Quite often actually refurbs come with better specs than announced. I've gotten more HD, more RAM, and even more VRAM with various refurbs. I think anybody who finds a suitable and cheap refurb should get it. They're usually a very good deal as your story illustrates.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2008, 09:52 PM

I bought the exact same Mac, and mine also came with 2 gigs when it was supposed to come with one.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules