Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Questions about XServe

Questions about XServe
peterflaken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2008, 07:25 PM

Hi, I'm considering buying a new XServe an using it as a workstation.
I have only 3 concerns:

a) Can the video card be upgraded? (even if I have to buy a new ATI or NVIDIA one - what would be the best one to acquire?)
b) How loud is this thing under normal load conditions? I remember the XServe G5 was always loud but recently I saw a video on youTube (YouTube - Xserve en e-market (2)) where an XServe was very quite.
c) Where can I get a vertical stand?? I remember Marathon Computers use to sell one - but now they've closed shop.

Best regards,
Peter

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 09:50 PM

Can I ask why you want to use an XServe as a workstation?

jwpacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2008, 10:36 PM

I just wrote an article on the Xserve over at LEM.

The Xserve has two expansion slots, one x8 and one x16 PCI slot, so yes, you can definitely do so. It comes standard with an ATI Radeon X1300 (64MB SDRAM), but you can save $50 if you opt not to have it installed.

I've not been in a room with one of the newest ones, but they are not quiet enough for most people to serve as workstations. Certainly not as quiet as a Mac Pro.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 12:00 AM

a) Yes, but you're limited to single slot cards.
b) Loud enough you don't want it outside of the server room.
c) I'd be very hesitant about putting a 1U server vertically; significant chance of tipping unless there is something on both sides of it.

Why do you want to use an Xserve as a workstation? I can think of very few situations where it makes sense.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2008, 02:13 AM

They're larger than you think. XServes wouldn't make a very good workstation. A Mac Pro might be a little cheaper. If you buy it as a server, you'll get OS X Server Unlimited Client with it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2008, 02:18 AM

An XServe is basically a Mac Pro in a 1U form factor with some additional redundancies, and with less attention paid to silent computing. The XServe uses standard consumer grade components just the same as a Mac Pro, so you aren't gaining a more robust rig, and last I checked the Mac Pros have a healthy number of free drive bays and expansion possibility.

What is the point? I really can't think of one...

OreoCookie
May 17, 2008, 04:11 PM

You should not use servers as a workstation replacement. Servers are designed differently than workstations. They can be unbearably loud. You usually don't have the same type of options for graphics cards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peterflaken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Can I ask why you want to use an XServe as a workstation?
Processing power - against volume/space ratio.

peterflaken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
a) Yes, but you're limited to single slot cards.
b) Loud enough you don't want it outside of the server room.
c) I'd be very hesitant about putting a 1U server vertically; significant chance of tipping unless there is something on both sides of it.

Why do you want to use an Xserve as a workstation? I can think of very few situations where it makes sense.
The stands I'll be using won't allow it to tip over.
One of the reasons of having it vertically is to maximize the surface area - allowing to cool better.
I'm hoping the newer ones are able to run cooler.

peterflaken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
They're larger than you think. XServes wouldn't make a very good workstation. A Mac Pro might be a little cheaper. If you buy it as a server, you'll get OS X Server Unlimited Client with it.
They're a few inches longer than my current G5 - but a whole lot thiner.

peterflaken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
An XServe is basically a Mac Pro in a 1U form factor with some additional redundancies, and with less attention paid to silent computing. The XServe uses standard consumer grade components just the same as a Mac Pro, so you aren't gaining a more robust rig, and last I checked the Mac Pros have a healthy number of free drive bays and expansion possibility.

What is the point? I really can't think of one...
The XServe when fully loaded (2 CPUs & RAM ) weights less than a Mac Pro.
I don't plan on using the expansion slots other to upgrade the video card - most of my equipment is run prof the USB & Firewire ports ( including the sound card ).

peterflaken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You should not use servers as a workstation replacement. Servers are designed differently than workstations. They can be unbearably loud. You usually don't have the same type of options for graphics cards.
If I can find a one good - one slot GPU that fits the 16x PCIe slot that would be enough.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by peterflaken View Post
One of the reasons of having it vertically is to maximize the surface area - allowing to cool better.
I'm hoping the newer ones are able to run cooler.
The cooling through the sides isn't very significant. Even if it was, there is a significant difference in heat transfer ability between horizontal and vertical surfaces.

They don't have very many USB or FW ports, so you'll have to use hubs if you have much equipment.

The 2600XT is single slot.

OreoCookie
May 18, 2008, 06:32 AM

Although it has been mentioned before, but I'm not sure you have heard how noisy servers can be. To be honest, I don't have first-hand experience with Intel-based XServes, but G4 and G5-based XServes were very loud. They'd be ok, if you put them in sound-proofed racks, but unbearable if you had to work with them.

I bought my parents a used IBM server a few years ago. When my parents moved from a house to an apartment, the server was so loud, they opted against keeping it.

Even if you think that you can bear it, what's the point? The new Mac Pro has ECC RAM as well, four drive bays (instead of three) and plenty of room for expansions. Plus, they're not cheaper either.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules