Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hello IMac

Hello IMac
HyperX
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 04:25 PM

This saturday, I purchased the new 2 Gigahertz Intel Duo Imac, with 2 gigs of ram, 250 Gig hard drive. I have a total of three windows servers at home (running my www.hyperx.com site) exchange 2003 and four Windows XP machines. So far so good. I was impressed how after I turned on the Imac, it found my two all in one HP printers. It looks like a solid machine, and seem to be quick to open programs. From a Windows/Linux user, the interface will get some getting used to, however, most of it is very intuitive. I was able to use SMB to connect to my windows share, and my Terrastation (have a lot of movies/mp3s there)

Ran into a problem I hope I can solve quickly. When i got firefox, and went to cnn.com to watch news videos, I was prompted to download a plug in. Somehow, the plugin associated itself with Excel. So, needless to say it didnt install right. I think it was some Microsoft plugin for the media player, so I guess this is expected. Someone told me I need stuff it, so I just ordered a copy of it.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I got the Mac to learn the new OS, I have no problems with my Windows setup. Never had a virus, trojan or anything like that, but I did have some registry issues, where the file is just too big. I love the fact that Mac doesn't use one file to control everything.

I will be posting questions, so bear with me. I think I am a quick learner.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 04:27 PM

-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

gambo
Mar 15, 2006, 05:40 AM

flip4mac doesn't work w/ intel chips or atleast not for me

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 06:05 AM

I'm waiting for an intel update to flip4mac

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 06:51 AM

You're right, my mistake
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 12:23 PM

I've notced the incomplete downloads from Firefox look like excel documents before they finish. (I think they put a funny extension on the name that Excel thinks it owns.) It sounds like maybe the download of the plug in didn't finish.

Do you know what format the clips you were trying to view were in?

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

Forum Links
Forum Rules