Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OSX nothing but problems

OSX nothing but problems
emilesc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2001, 09:49 PM

Hi -

I work in a small office where I'm the most technically proficient person there, which is a bit sad because I'm not an expert. Anyway, a sales person managed to convince my boss that it was absolutely necessary to upgrade to OSX and it caused nothing but problems. Our DSL would no longer work, the couldn't print, and it kept freezing, it took forever to choose Classic for the Startup disk (even though we have enough memory). We hated it so much we downgraded to OS9.

Since we have it already, I guess the best thing to do is to learn to use it and adjust. I have some questions though: with OSX, do we have to reinstall all of our software (such as Microsoft Office) or buy new software completely? Will I be able to find the settings for our DSL or do we also need to reinstall that? As I mentioned, it's a small business and we don't have a lot of money to throw around considering we've been happy with OS9 as it is.

Can anyone give me tips or perhaps point me in the direction of an OSX for dummies site? :->

And on a personal note, I used the upgrade for 9.2 to update 9.0.4 on my ibook. Was it worth it? I know the adage don't fix it if it ain't broke, but I haven't always been happy with 9.0.4 because it froze on me even though I did routine maintenance on my ibook, so I was hoping 9.2 would be better. Should I keep it or go back to what I had?

Thanks for the help,

Emile
The Strange and Wonderful World of Emile St. Claire
www.emilesc.com

Napier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2001, 12:52 AM

Your ass hole sales person should work for apple. Mac OSX.1.1 is noway ready for anywhere real work has to be done and profits have to be made.
Don't go any further than 9.1, 9.2 is built for classic in OS X.

Napier

Cipher13
Nov 21, 2001, 04:17 AM

Couldn't agree more.

DO NO update to 9.1 or 9.21 via a download - get a 9.1 CD and use the full install, and you'll be running extremely sweet.

Avoid OSX... it hasn't grown up enough to play with the big boys yet.

As you yourself said, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

<emilesc>
Nov 21, 2001, 11:46 AM

Thanks, guys. We used the CD that came with OS X to upgrade to 9.2, so no downloads for us. Unfortunately 9.2 wiped out my bookmarks in Netscape and I've already had a problem with freezing twice on my iBook. Where can I find a 9.1 CD? Is that more stable?

Thanks,
Emile

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by &lt;emilesc&gt;:
<STRONG>Thanks, guys. We used the CD that came with OS X to upgrade to 9.2, so no downloads for us. Unfortunately 9.2 wiped out my bookmarks in Netscape and I've already had a problem with freezing twice on my iBook. Where can I find a 9.1 CD? Is that more stable?

Thanks,
Emile</STRONG>
MUCH more stable.
I'm not sure where you can get one though... I say, if you bought OSX, then pirate the 9.1 CD. Hell, I bought OS9.0.0, so there was no way I was gonna pay for 9.1.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 02:27 PM

I guess your meaning is not shared by the prople on the OS X forums Cipher

I use OS X all the time and I really love it, it has frozen 1 (!) time and after a reboot nothing was lost.

You OS 9-ers are just nostalgic

I now hate the interface I used to love for years
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Cipher13
Nov 25, 2001, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

MUCH more stable.
I'm not sure where you can get one though... I say, if you bought OSX, then pirate the 9.1 CD. Hell, I bought OS9.0.0, so there was no way I was gonna pay for 9.1.</STRONG>
That should read "if you bought OS 9, then pirate..."

Little too late to just edit it. Oops.

It isn't nostalgia. I'd drop it in a second if there was a better alternative... loyalty means nothing in this game.

OSX quite simply sucks.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2001, 06:08 PM

Funny, OS 9.2.1 is every bit as stable as OS 9.1 on my PMG4.

Where you get this info from, Cipher?
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Cipher13
Nov 26, 2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>Funny, OS 9.2.1 is every bit as stable as OS 9.1 on my PMG4.

Where you get this info from, Cipher?</STRONG>
Personal experience; and it isn't just idiosyncratic. Also conclusions drawn logically from certain observations.

What kind of PowerMac is yours?
A QS?

If not, you will run into problems soon enough. Of that I gaurantee you.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2001, 07:59 AM

<STRONG>Personal experience; and it isn't just idiosyncratic. Also conclusions drawn logically from certain observations.
</STRONG>
the thing is, you say this all the time about the latest iteration of OS 9.x without giving any examples. how can we agree that your conclusions are logical (and not idiosyncratic) if you don't tell us what these mysterious "certain observations" are? in short, we can't.

-r.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2001, 01:43 PM

<STRONG>

Personal experience; and it isn't just idiosyncratic. Also conclusions drawn logically from certain observations.

What kind of PowerMac is yours?
A QS?

If not, you will run into problems soon enough. Of that I gaurantee you.</STRONG>
Been running OS 9.2.1 since the day it came out. No problems here at all, stable as a very stable thing on a windless day.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 08:22 AM

I used to run 9.1 when I had my G4 Cube and now I am running 9.2.1 on my brand new 500Mhz iBook (w 384Mb RAM). I really can't say that I noticed any difference in regards to stability.

I am running iTunes 2, Office:Mac 2001, and Internet Explorer.

Agent69
Agent69

BobK
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2001, 10:47 AM

HUMMMM, I use X full time at home. I just changed jobs, old job used X full time (graphic design) ran all the standard GD apps, Quark, photoshop etal.
In my new job I am running 9.2( waiting for a new machine, then I will use X full time)
I have not seem any of these problems. I have been able to make X crash 3 times. All 3 times occured when trying to import mail from Outlook Express in 10.3.
I can't wait to be back in X !!!-9.? seems like a set back in time.
I have grown to depend on the key board short cut in X to connect to server. How did I never notice that there is no key board short cut for the chooser! Death to the CHOOSER!

What are you doing at your office? What machines are you using?
Send you feedback to Apple.
I would like to hear more info on what is going on.

Cipher13
Nov 30, 2001, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>

the thing is, you say this all the time about the latest iteration of OS 9.x without giving any examples. how can we agree that your conclusions are logical (and not idiosyncratic) if you don't tell us what these mysterious "certain observations" are? in short, we can't.

-r.</STRONG>
Actually, I've said it that many times, that I've given up with examples. Check my earlier posts and you will see plenty of examples.

Most, if not all cases include hard drive damage and file corruption; regular system errors and so forth.

It's quite simple really. I run a full OS 9.1 right now. People come here for advice. We all give it. If somebody chooses not to take my advice? Then thats either their problem or their triumph in the end.

I *will* laugh at anybody who has a problem with OS 9.2, however

Just as I'll laugh at anyone trying to install a second HD in a Cube.

Take it or leave it, what I'm saying is correct. It really really doesn't bother me if somebody elses system ****s up because they didn't pay attention.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2001, 05:52 PM

I have a friend who is having nothing but problems in 9.1 I told him that he should upgrade to 9.2 , anyway enough about that. I use OS X as my fulltime OS and have no problems with it. The problems I have had have been resolved by running TechTool Pro and Norton and Disk Warrior. I have never had a problem with OS X at all. I run Photshop, Golive and Dreamweaver in classic then I run IE, iTunes and Entourage and sometype of IM software all at the same time. Though I believe before going to OS X planning should be done. for example seeing if there are drivers for your printer or if it can print in Classic mode. Your tech guy sounds like he just upgraded him willy nilly before finding out if things would work. What type of DSL do you have? I know Verizon will work, but it takes some time. emilsc email me if you want I can see if I can help you with your problem.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 11:44 PM

I'm not so sure you're right cipher. Let me add a little antecdote for you to chew on. When i first updated my imac to 9.2, it became horribly irratic. The sytem was a mess somehow, and there wasnt a damn thing i could do about it. Both the system and programs crashed riduculously often. I had to force restart at least 3 times a day. Sincei was running low on hard drive space, i decided to buy a new drive for the machine. I did all the system installs at once. OS9.0.4,OS9.1,OS9.2,OSX.0.1,OSX.1. I installed the updates from booting off the 9.0.4 and OSX.0.1 cd. I added all my applicatoins, both OS9 and OSX, and then began to use my computer as normal. THe machine gained heaps and bounds, as far as stability and speed. I was amazed at the difference in performance. I mean its ridiculous, the system boots in half the time, both OS9 and OSX. OS9 hardly ever crashes, and seems significantly slow. I realized immediately that whatever had been slowing down had really taken a toll on it. I was baffled by this, and can come to only one conclusion about it: Using system upgrades, downloaded from apple, and installing them over long amounts of time, somehow makes the system less efficent.

Now wait, i know there are some of you who would supsect my problems with 9.2 were related to some other outside factor. Well, i'll just have to convince you. The machine, itself came with os8.6. When i had updated that to os9.0.4, and then to 9.1, i noticed the same problem. The system just gets slower as you add updates over an extended period of time. They dont seem to have the same effect, however if you install them all at the same time.

So, Cipher, it is my opinion that the problem people keep having with 9.2. Its not that the operating system (9.2) is faulty itself, its just that continuous updates over an extended period of time will, indeed decrepitate your system.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Cipher13
Dec 4, 2001, 03:06 AM

When I use system updates (not anymore... not since 9.1 and 9.21), I reinstall the OS first. That's always been the process I used.

Updates are not good at all, when it comes to your system.

What you say is correct, and makes sense. But that doesn't discount what I'm saying re. the fact that system updates are a bad idea full-stop.

I refuse to use them anymore... I'm running 9.1 (full), and 9.0.0 (full) - both are very sweet.

I'm about to delete 9.1 and reinstall it cause it got a little messy a while ago, so I need to clean it up; and I haven't got the time to sort it out by hand. I'm also going to update to 9.04 at the same time (minor updaters seem fine).

The two best systems I've ever used, on seperate drives. Can't go wrong.

Avoid major system updates (9.0x -&gt; 9.1; 9.1 -&gt; 9.21).

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 10:04 AM

I had been using 8.6 over the past two years. But the last few months it was becoming less stable. Anyway, with the RAm prices dropping I began the process of moving eventually to OS X; I now have 384 MB RAM. Then last Friday I bought OS X 10.1 (with 9.2.1), but have only installed 9.2.1. My goal was to get everything working correctly in 9.2.1 and then move to X 10.1 in the near future.

Aside from a troublesome Control Strip module from Shockwave which disabled the Control Strip, I have had no problems. Once I removed the Shockwave CS that has not been a problem. I also work with Hebrew and Greek fonts as well as English. No problems. And now I am planning on installing the Language Kit for Hebrew.

System: Beige G3/300 Mhz/384 MB

Software: FrameMaker 6, Nisus Writer 6, PageMaker, Netscape 6.2, iCab 2.6, Reunion 6, Office 2001.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules