Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The portable dvd player is finally here!!!

The portable dvd player is finally here!!!
Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 06:16 AM

I Just received this portable DVD Player in mail and it's amazing! (after more than 2 weeks of negotiation with seller and delivery time... )

Slot-in Disc Loader with 7" Lcd and Anti-Shock. Have been using it in the car for a week, if anyone is interested I can order it from the manufacturer at low price.

[Inline images must be no wider than 500 pixels. -- tooki]

Great quality for the price! If there is enough interest, I can organize a group buy. It's sold for more than US$400 online and you can't find it anywhere here (at least in Canada). I'm glad that I spent the money on this toy. I'm sure you will too. Contact me for detail.

Click here for more pictures and detail
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 21, 2004 at 12:22 PM. )
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 06:18 AM

WTF! Dunno how you guys handle that in Canada, but this sure is illegal in Europe. It's ok if it turns itself off as soon as you go faster than walking speed but otherwise, you're in big trouble.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 06:22 AM

Lots of stuff are illegal, but people still do it.

As for this one, it's mainly for the passengers, and it's playing music most of the time.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2004, 06:27 AM

Most of the time, I'm the only one in the car and the only source of entertainment is my iPod. Nothing fancy.

Anyway, your sig is kind of hard sell. Have fun and drive safety.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2004, 06:33 AM

This should be in the marketplace.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Most of the time, I'm the only one in the car and the only source of entertainment is my iPod. Nothing fancy.

Anyway, your sig is kind of hard sell. Have fun and drive safety.
i know.... trying hard to get enough people so we can run a group buy.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 10:58 AM

thats cool and all but i prefer a laptop in the car

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 11:15 AM

Watch the road!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2004, 12:24 PM

In-dash DVD players are not illegal in the U.S. But installers are required to hard-wire them to the parking brake interlock so that they only play when the car is parked. The law says that you can't have an active TV in the driver's field of vision while driving, not that you can't have one in the car.

tooki

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
In-dash DVD players are not illegal in the U.S. But installers are required to hard-wire them to the parking brake interlock so that they only play when the car is parked. The law says that you can't have an active TV in the driver's field of vision while driving, not that you can't have one in the car.

tooki

Just why is it that you are the one who knows all this shitzkopof rules?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2004, 03:13 PM

I read pretty much everything that comes my way, LOL!

tooki

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 04:53 PM

What the hell do you need a DVD player in the car for?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2004, 05:15 PM

I think the laws vary by state, unless there has been a recent federal law put in place.
In what may be the first trial of its kind in the nation, prosecutors have accused the pickup truck's driver of second-degree murder for watching a movie instead of the road when he crashed head-on into the Jeep.

While no Alaska law prohibits operating a DVD player in view of a driver, prosecutor June Stein said the facts warranted charging Petterson under one of two theories: that he knew his conduct was substantially certain to cause death, or that he knowingly engaged in conduct showing extreme indifference to human life.
Link
(btw: He got off. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2004, 05:51 PM

Many of the vans offer them. It's good entertainment for the children.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2004, 07:32 PM

I can understand rear but... dang... anyway... this sorta thing scares me... cars should be used to get around. Though I spose it could be useful in rush hour.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2004, 01:19 AM

At least we're not in Japan, where driver-side in-dash TVs are factory options from all the big car manufacturers.

tooki

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2004, 10:29 AM

At least we're not in Japan, where driver-side in-dash TVs are factory options from all the big car manufacturers.

tooki
Considering how long they sit in Tokyo traffic, I can understand why.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
What the hell do you need a DVD player in the car for?
Dude, it adds 150whp.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 10:36 AM

How is it mounted?

Uriel
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 12:27 PM

I might be interested in one of these, how much do they run and what kind of installation is required?

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 11:26 PM

I mounted it using some 3M double-sided tape (very strong, for this 1lb unit), or you can use the straps provided to mount it on the headrest or sun visor.

since I'm running it as a group buy (this is one of the forums that shows interest) , it's roughly US$380 (tax included)!!! email me if you want more detail or go to the link in my sig
( Last edited by Alezone; Nov 23, 2004 at 01:09 AM. )

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 11:47 PM

This is so wrong... Hopefully they will put a stop to that.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 01:15 AM

put it this way... it's for the kids in the back seat, so they won't disturb you when you're driving. Keep them occupied. During a long trip (say 2 hours drive), keep everyone in the car awake, it's good for the driver as well, it's not intended for the driver.

I have it because my girlfriend will be quiet when i drive...

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Alezone:
I have it because my girlfriend will be quiet when i drive...
great relationship you have there.

I also like the "I'm too busy to pay attention to my kids" argument, or the other option "I'm a horrible parent and my kids are too rowdy if they don't have flashing lights in front of them".

because that two-hour drive is far more than the average human could be expected to make conversation? because you wish your kids would shut up for two more hours of the day so you don't have to pay attention to your family?

The only DECENT argument I see for getting one of these is simply because you like toys. Trying to pass it off as a way to make your drive more safe is ludicrous. Trying to pass it off as a way to placate your kids makes you look like a horrible parent.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 01:51 AM

Are you asking for someone to break into your car?

Seriously...what's the point?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 01:56 AM

I don't want to make this thread an arguement about the ethic of having a DVD player in the car.

I hope your statement is just a reflection of your bad day, or you just don't have a sense of humor. I"m a very responsible and skilled driver myself, and all my passengers (friends, girlfriend, etc) are more than happy to have something to kill time with when travelling in a car for 2+ hours. For the kids to be quiet in the backseat doesn't mean that you're trying to ignore them, please think before you reply. If providing your family with entertainment is equal to ignoring your family... then I don't know what to say.

And you're right, I like toys, like most guys do. If you watch DVD instead of the road, it'll hurt you and people around you. I never recommend that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 01:57 AM

When I have my wife/kids/friends in the car, I talk to them.

*GASP* what a concept.

No, I'm not having a bad day. DVD players in the car is a ridiculous idea.

Mike

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 03:57 AM

^^^ It wasn't for you, it was for turnpike. And it's your option to talk to your passengers, don't assume everyone on the road is willing to talk for a few hours non-stop.

And don't you think it's kinda distracting to talk to your passengers while driving? I think so, just like talking on the phone, i've encountered so many people who can't drive and to make it worse, they talk on the phone when they drive.

Having a dvd player in the car is not a ridiculous idea, a driver watching dvd while driving is. How about the movie on the big screen when you travel on a plane? ridiculous idea? hm...

Open for any comment

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 04:28 AM

Oh come now, just shoving a dvd player in someone's face and being "oh it's the DVD, watch it!", is going to kill creativity.

I just can't fathom it. I've gone on too many car trips where well, I got bored, sometimes damn bored.. there's only so much of I-5 you can take before you get tired of it, but well, I'm not a truck driver so I can stand it!

Music enhances reality, movies replace it. I agree about this:

(by turnpike)
great relationship you have there.

I also like the "I'm too busy to pay attention to my kids" argument, or the other option "I'm a horrible parent and my kids are too rowdy if they don't have flashing lights in front of them".

because that two-hour drive is far more than the average human could be expected to make conversation? because you wish your kids would shut up for two more hours of the day so you don't have to pay attention to your family?
Come on, 2 hour drive? TWO hours needs a movie to keep you company? Damn I've gone 10 hour drives where the most entertainment I got was from goofing off with my phone at the worst, talking about random stuff most of the time, or messing around with something else.

The idea of a "modern parent" SUCKS. My mom and dad were, and still are (well, my mom is, may my dad rest in peace) great parents! They never had to shove a portable TV or walkman in my face and tell me to "watch it!" to get me to shut up, because according to them (and I can just ask my mom this right now, she'll agree), was never THAT kind of person.

Parents who consider their kids an annoyance need help. That's not to say if you do this, that you're a bad parent, but maybe you should reconsider things! Did your parents make you watch TV when you went on short car trips? Did they make you read a book? Doubt it.

Eventually our watches will have the ability to play movies, and that's going to suck. I like the idea of having stuff if I want it, but hey man there's just times and places where I don't see any need for it.
Aloha

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 05:02 AM

you seem to put my statement in wrong order.

It's the pessengers' preference and I provided. If i were a kid, I'd prefer something to watch other than listening to music while being "tied-up" in my seat. Like I said already, different people have different preference. Don't try to bash something if you personally don't prefer. And stop trying to put your words in my mouth, i never said I'd force the kids to watch movie on the trip to "shut them up". It's an entertainment for them. Are you gonna say the flight company force you to watch movie on the plane so you would shut up? I hope you don't look at it that way. Last trip on a plane for me lasted 15 hours, and I watched 4 movies in a row, and I was glad that they provided it, otherwise I'd be squeezing myself in the tiny seat and trying to sleep, and wake up with back pain. Oh btw, it's the same idea when travelling in a car as a passenger.

The other day i gave a ride to this 4 year old girl, and she loves SHREK, and I let her watch it, she was happy. Better than falling asleep and wake up crying. I do not have kids myself (not that I don't like them, i love kids, but I'm too young to be a parent, let alone marriage).

You like the idea where having stuff if you want it, the kids (or adults) don't want to be bored and prefer watching something they like. I give them what they want and I don't see a problem there. I'm not trying to convince you (or anyone who against dvd player for that matter) to agree with me. I just see a lot of skeptical/conservative/negative views that I don't see on other forums, so I'd like to listen and clarify the idea.

I'm glad that some people are actually asking about the physical dvd player other than focusing on the false usage of the idea that they assumed.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 09:12 AM

And I tought people driving while talking on the phone were dangerous, now I'll have to watch for for movie entousiasts. Or worse people driving while talking to the phone while watching and film and making popcorn in their car microwave oven.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 09:43 AM

Actually, they are pretty popular in many cars in various places in Asia, and naturally cheaper.
The people who are going off on tangents don't know what they're talking about. The in-dash video units aren't for the drives, but passengers.
And yes, it might be overkill but some people could say the same thing about a tricked-out stereo system, or even hooking an iPod up to one.
Lots of customizing houses also offer this feature as it's pretty simple. Now, when you get the ones with video game consoles (I've seen built in PS2 and X-Boxes) that is getting high on the bling-bling.

And like it or not, kids are going to behave better and be less cranky if they have a video to watch. They'd probably prefer Spongebob Squarepants or whatever its name is to all those Clark Griswold-types anyway.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2004, 10:02 AM

You haven't given a make or model on this at all. I'm not planning to drop the money on this, anyway, but I still never even think about buying something unless I have the make and model so I can comparison shop.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 10:38 AM

No one has mentioned that this could be a scam.....

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 06:42 PM

As stated in the manufacturer information that I have. This model is always re-branded and packaged by other companies to sell overseas, comparable model (slot-loaded tablet...) is not even available to North America.

Product Name: Portable Tablet DVD Player
Trade Mark: TOYU
Model: 6004

Product Name: Portable Tablet DVD Player
Model(Color): TOYU6004(silver)
Specifications & Functions introduction:

Description:
1. Product size: 195 x 150 x 25mm
2. with 7"TFT LCD display (16:9)
3. Slot in loader
4. 27MHz 10mbit digital/analog convertor
5. Lithium battery, enable 4 hours continually
6. Auto switch play/still image
7. Built-in stereo speakers
8. Built-in anti-shock system
9. Hi-Fi audio effect
10. Compatible with DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/ CD-R/CD-RW
11. 5.1 channel audio output
12. 3D surround Audio effect
13. High speed search function
14. PAL/NTSC/AUTO switchable
15. Chapter preview
16. Menu display
17. TV and DIVX function (option)

Standard accessory: Remote controller, Rechargeable battery, A/V cable, Adaptor, Car adaptor.
Brightness: 500
Accessories: AC/ DC Adapter, Remote Control, AV Cable, Lithium Batteries, User Manual

Warranty time: 1 year

Screen: AU
Dimension: 195x150x25mm ,
Packing Size(1 pcs): 315X240X80MM
N.W(1 pcs): 1.9kg

-------------------------------------
For those who's worrying about this may be a scam, I can guarantee (well, I know you can hardly trust no one on a board, since most of us have never met). I can post the links to other forums (local car forums mainly that I actively participate in) to verify my identity.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
The people who are going off on tangents don't know what they're talking about. The in-dash video units aren't for the drives, but passengers.
Yes, but installing it on the dashboard is pretty near to the driver and too big a distraction from the road.

And yes, it might be overkill but some people could say the same thing about a tricked-out stereo system, or even hooking an iPod up to one.
I set-up my iPod, select a playlist and i don't touch for the rest of the road. I don't dable with CD anymore and I keep my eyes more on the road then ever.

And like it or not, kids are going to behave better and be less cranky if they have a video to watch.
Sure, I don't have any problem with DVD players in Minivans out of the peripheral vision of the drive. I would not feel safe, knowing that there's drivers all over the roads with DVD players on the dashboard.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 09:29 PM

Think of all the pr0n you can watch!

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Not funny. I saw a guy with one of these in his Beemer last year...watching porn on the Parkway.

Mike

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 10:49 PM

That would definetly keep my eyes off the road.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 07:09 AM

Anyways, flames and jokes aside

price are finalized by the manufaturer. It'll be US$380 or CAD$450 (tax included)

please contact me by email at [email protected] if you want in or want further detail. (I do not own whatever gadget store, just created this gmail account for the group buy purpose, easier to manage the people from different forums across the nation)

if everything goes well, we expect to see the shipment arrived no later than first week of December, make it a great gift for Xmas.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Didn't someone get taken to court for showing porn on their head-rest monitors? And don't most cars offer these as options now (albeit most are SUVs and Minivans)? I have no issues with them in the passenger area. But having then in ANY view of the driver is nuts! "its for my rear passengers/kids" just don't cut it when the damn thing is in plain site of the driver. Because lets face it - you WILL look down periodically.

As for keeping the kids entertained... I'm not sure that having one automatically means that you're a bad parent. Kids get bored, and its a way to keep you focused on the road. I don't advocate using them as babysitters.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2004, 10:49 AM

Dude, that is such a safety issue it's not even funny.

I don't know about Canada, but these things are legal in the US only if they aren't visible to the driver, and frankly that's how it should be. A driver's task is to drive, and that involves keeping one's eyes on the road, not on a DVD screen. "Multitasking" is not possible with the eyes.

If it's for your girlfriend, then do the responsible thing and mount it on the passenger side. If it's for the backseat passengers, do the responsible thing and mount it there.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 03:01 PM

i agree with you.

so anyone who's gonna buy it, please do take the responsibility and drive safe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules