Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mac Mini

New Mac Mini
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 04:31 AM

How did this not get leaked?

Full port complement including HDMI:

Easily accessible RAM slots?!

It seems like a far-fetched Photoshop mockup but it's on Apple's site!

Apple - Mac mini - The most affordable, energy-efficient Mac.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:34 AM

It's very very nice but it is unholy expensive. £629 here in the UK with a base spec of 2GB RAM and a crappy 2.4GHz C2D processor. The server weighs in at £929.

Those prices are just insane.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 04:35 AM

yeah.

Beautiful.

Built-in power supply.

EXPENSIVE.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:48 AM

The price...especially in Germany (€809.-)...is incredible!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 05:41 AM

Easy bet:

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 06:02 AM

It's pretty impressive that everything fits inside that small case!

P
Jun 15, 2010, 07:37 AM

Yes it's pretty, and yes it's more accessible, and they even added some ports (is that thing on the right an SD slot?), but why do they have to raise the price? This means that the mini is now fully a HTMac rather than a "beginners try it out" Mac like the original stated purpose.

Also: Store is down AGAIN? More coming?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 08:16 AM

It is indeed an SD slot:

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:18 AM

$699???? What the hell? Why is the Mini, the supposedly affordable option, the only Mac that has gone up in price twice in recent years?

This this launched at $500. It's supposed to be the cheapy. At $700 it's a freaking joke.

(Throw in an Apple keyboard and mouse and you are at $820 bucks. Buy a third party monitor and you're at around $1,000... which is basically the price of a baseline iMac with much better specs and probably a much better screen.)

Blahblah don't buy one than blah blah.

Yeah, I know and I won't.

The thing is I want a new Mac, but I don't really want one with a built in screen, nor do I want to spend $2500 bucks on a tower... So where does that leave me? With this thing for $699? No thanks. There is a hole in Apples desktop lineup so big you can march a parade through it.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 15, 2010 at 08:31 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 08:38 AM

I notice that the only thing the bottom "snap-off" cover reveals (besides RAM) is airport card (or screws on its cover).
What's the attraction to making Airport accessible? They burn out often? Access to their antenna connection if you want to jury-rig an external antenna (something Apple probably does *not* want to encourage)?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 08:50 AM

It’s probably just for the benefit of actual repair people. If they’re going to stick an opening in there for customers to upgrade RAM, why not make it a little bigger and make a few other bits more accessible? And I’m sure the designers thought a big circular opening looks more elegant than some random off-center rectangle. I doubt they expect many actual buyers to ever think about the AirPort card.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:58 AM

Is the HD easily accessible?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 09:01 AM

Also, glad I’m not the only one WTFing about the price going up again¹. I mean, the design is cool, but if it the new space constraints or the unibody shell made the whole thing more expensive, it doesn’t seem worth it. Of course, Apple’s made plenty of Mac pricing decisions that I didn’t like, and their bottom line still does okay.

¹Well, okay, you could say that the price stayed the same, since the one new model is priced at the average of the two old ones it replaced. But entry price is up.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 09:16 AM

That's the one. Yes, it's up $100 but it looks to be worth it. For the Home Theater PC crowd (the ones who seemed to have breathed life back in to the mini of late) the $100 added expense will solve more than $100 worth of expense, hassle, adapters and cable to make their systems work well.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 09:54 AM

Beautiful, beautiful piece of hardware. Did not see this caliber of refresh coming at all. Kudos, Apple.

I sincerely wish I had a need for one. I'm already jealous of anybody who'll be ordering.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

P
Jun 15, 2010, 10:05 AM

It makes a lot of sense for an HTPC. I'd probably place it within reach of the couch (it's certainly beautiful enough) and run a long HDMI cable to the TV, but I already have an HTPC.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

-Q-
Jun 15, 2010, 10:09 AM

It is a sexay little beast. I've been needing to replace my mini that I use as a HTPC for awhile now (GUI regularly locks up when invoking expose or anything else that requires the graphics card). This is very, very tempting.

I don't have HDMI on my surround receiver. Anyone know if I have audio going out of the HDMI port (to the TV) it'll still allow audio to go out of a Toslink-to-Optical Mini Plug cable so I can use surround when I want?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 10:21 AM

Overpriced or not, I feel like I need to consider this thing. My 2006 17' iMac is stru-ggl-ing doing the most simple tasks and I'm not in the mood to buy another iMac.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 10:33 AM

I wouldn't care about the $699 if it came with 4GB of RAM standard. But still, what a gorgeous design, and very functional. I'll probably get this for my parents.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2010, 11:17 AM

The antenna is down there under the cover to improve reception. If it were inside all that aluminium the signal would be weakened. Think bunny ears; this is as far out as Apple's designers would let them stick out

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2010, 11:22 AM

Look, the price is between the last two minis and better than either of them in performance, expandibilty and looks. If you are into Mac, you have already signed up to pay more for fit, feel and sexiness. Will $100 really hurt you that badly, so badly you'll buy a Windows machine? Really?

Anyway, we are opening a satellite office and this is 99% of what we wanted to pair with a 30" monitor.

The only thing is lack of an SSD option. Does anyone know if I can get a third party SSD that will fit? Or at least what the biggest fastest HD that will fit is?

Thanks,

Nina

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by gperks View Post
The antenna is down there under the cover to improve reception. If it were inside all that aluminium the signal would be weakened. Think bunny ears; this is as far out as Apple's designers would let them stick out
Just think how cute it would be to have rabbit-ears airport antennas! How retro! More seriously, Apple must've tested the wireless reception, but you gotta wonder about the advisability of an aluminum case. Here's hoping the wireless range is excellent!

On the hardware side, everyone should notice that you can't order the base model with a 7200 rpm HD.

That being the case, why wouldn't you order the server model, which comes with adequate RAM and 2 7200 rpm 500 GB drives? You'd put you flavor of OS X on it (eg you're not locked into using the server software.)

-Q-
Jun 15, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post

That being the case, why wouldn't you order the server model, which comes with adequate RAM and 2 7200 rpm 500 GB drives? You'd put you flavor of OS X on it (eg you're not locked into using the server software.)
In my case, it's because I need use the mini as a DVD player. I don't really have the time, hard drive space or inclination to rip all the DVDs. So I'd need one with the media drive.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
Look, the price is between the last two minis and better than either of them in performance, expandibilty and looks. If you are into Mac, you have already signed up to pay more for fit, feel and sexiness. Will $100 really hurt you that badly, so badly you'll buy a Windows machine? Really?
It falls between the prices of the previously grossly overpriced models. This is supposed to be the budget line. If you don't care that Mini is small and cool looking, and all you want is a computer for as little cash as possible... it's a complete bust. You can buy a similarly specced Dell for about $300. And it comes with a mouse and keyboard.

As a beautiful but expensive home theater accessory, this thing is amazing... as bare-bones PC for the budget conscious... it's a joke. For $300 more you can get a MacBook with the exact same specs... plus a keyboard, trackpad and screen... not to mention portability and 10-hour battery life.

It's just not a good deal.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It falls between the prices of the previously grossly overpriced models. This is supposed to be the budget line. If you don't care that Mini is small and cool looking, and all you want is a computer for as little cash as possible... it's a complete bust. You can buy a similarly specced Dell for about $300. And it comes with a mouse and keyboard.

As a beautiful but expensive home theater accessory, this thing is amazing... as bare-bones PC for the budget conscious... it's a joke. For $300 more you can get a MacBook with the exact same specs... plus a keyboard, trackpad and screen... not to mention portability and 10-hour battery life.

It's just not a good deal.
But a Dell is a Windows machine, which means it can't run the OS we love.

And who decides what it is supposed to be? You? No, that would be Steve Jobs.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2010, 01:19 PM

I´m buying one. I was looking to replace an aging PC with a current spec one, but I think this new mac mini fits the bill quite nicely. I will upgrade the hd to 500GB.. memory can be done later on. I even had already a retail copy of Win7, so now I will have both OS´s.

P
Jun 15, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
The only thing is lack of an SSD option. Does anyone know if I can get a third party SSD that will fit? Or at least what the biggest fastest HD that will fit is?
Most likely it's a 2.5" slimline, meaning that any SSD will fit, and almost all laptop HDs. I think I saw a 1TB model the other day. Personally, i'd put a Momentus XT in mine if I were to get one - which I won't, with that price. We'll see how the market reacts to that. The mini was launched as a "starter" Mac, for people who wanted to try it out, and it has evolved into a home theater computer over time. This last update is the last step to that (note that even the plug is a double-isolated plug common on home theater equipment rather than the three-pronged computer plug), so the starter Mac slot is now empty.

fashizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2010, 01:55 PM

I'm all over this, since my current HTPC is a Quicksilver 933! lol! hey, that little machine has 4 1TB HD's in it and plays MAME on a 56" LCD! going from that machine to a little Mini is going to feel like getting off of a skateboard and into the Shinkansen!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Most likely it's a 2.5" slimline, meaning that any SSD will fit, and almost all laptop HDs. I think I saw a 1TB model the other day. Personally, i'd put a Momentus XT in mine if I were to get one - which I won't, with that price. We'll see how the market reacts to that. The mini was launched as a "starter" Mac, for people who wanted to try it out, and it has evolved into a home theater computer over time. This last update is the last step to that (note that even the plug is a double-isolated plug common on home theater equipment rather than the three-pronged computer plug), so the starter Mac slot is now empty.
I guess someone could always get the last mac mini as a refurb for a song pretty soon (not bad for a starter system). But, I guess the world has become more about mobility. Is the iPad the new "starter" mac with reduced capabilities ? Whatever the case, the new mac mini is wildly appealing to me. I had looked at the lower end ($599) on before but planned on popping open the case and upgrading immediately. The new one will make that much easier (though its still unclear how accessible the hard drive will end up being).

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:18 PM

Why couldn't the Apple TV be replaced with this new MIni? The software functionality could easily replace Front Row and you'd have a much more useful box.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 04:19 PM

Because its 3 times the price?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:33 PM

Well, as with the iPad, pricing the product lower can result in greater sales. And it's not the Apple TV has been bought in any great numbers either.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 04:35 PM

Not Apple's MO in the desktop market so far. Not to mention they just got done raising the price $100.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:38 PM

I agree. Seems nonsensical to raise the price, even given the improvements. If they really wanted it to sell, they'd improve the features and find a way to drop the price.
( Last edited by rjenkinson; Jun 15, 2010 at 06:23 PM. )

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
That's the one. Yes, it's up $100 but it looks to be worth it. For the Home Theater PC crowd (the ones who seemed to have breathed life back in to the mini of late) the $100 added expense will solve more than $100 worth of expense, hassle, adapters and cable to make their systems work well.
AGREED.

(speaking as someone who bought a refurbed mini and spun a bunch of cycles trying to get the image to show up correctly on my hdtv)

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 05:08 PM

I think the mini is evolving away from a cheap, entry level Mac and into a HTPC/small form-factor Mac. In Apple's eyes, the iPad is the entry-level.

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
Why couldn't the Apple TV be replaced with this new MIni? The software functionality could easily replace Front Row and you'd have a much more useful box.
I think the new Apple TV, if the rumors are true, is going to much cheaper and smaller than what we have now.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2010, 05:45 PM

To each its own but 100 USD won´t break you in anyway. If 100 USD makes a difference looks like there are other priorites that have to be taken care of before buying a computer (any computer for that matter).
regards

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:45 PM

Very pretty. Regarding price polendo is right. Sure, it's expensive compared to the $500 original price point, and it's not good to continue seeing Macs get more expensive. But then again computer buyers and tech consumers in general are spoiled by the advancement of technology that makes things magically cheaper as time goes on. Most things in the world get more expensive over time, if only to keep pace with inflation. A $200 increase years after the original mini for a far more functional unit isn't that bad on its own. Maybe it seems that way in comparison to the competition of Dell and other low-end, low-margin box fillers, but it's not so bad relatively speaking. The same group of consumers who can't wait to buy the iPhone 4 on launch don't have much room to complain about $100 here and there, not if you consider how much that iPhone costs in total over its contract life.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 15, 2010 at 05:52 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 05:49 PM

If I had to set up a Home Theater I'd buy one in a heartbeat, though I wish they'd make an SSD option more do-able.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
I guess someone could always get the last mac mini as a refurb for a song pretty soon (not bad for a starter system).
Unfortunately, the last one can’t necessarily be had for a song. It’s out of stock online, and when it was in stock, the only option was the previous “better” model at $679.

Granted, it already had 4GB of RAM, and the clockspeed is faster (though I’m not conversant enough with the Intel lineup to know what that means). But people hoping for a deep discount relative to the new one were out of luck. For education shoppers, it was $30 more than the unibody.

And like I was saying, it’s gone. So if you want a refurb, you have to hunt around other online retailers or hope there are some at your local Apple dealer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:59 PM

Just because they're gone now doesn't mean more refurbs won't show up in the future. They go in and out of stock all the time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:21 PM

Refurbed Minis have a very short lifespan on the Apple Store.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 07:46 PM

Good:
SD slot
RAM accessibility (it was a beast to upgrade in all previous revisions [the G4 less so, but still])
Awesome, crazy thin aluminum design (I'll be it is stronger, too [you couldn't stack much stuff on top of the old one without interfering with the optical drive])
Integrated AC adapter (this was a particularly big gripe of mine, considering that this is a small-form-factor machine and the brick was huge)

New Badness:
SD slot is in the back
cheapest new Mac is now $700

Retained Badness:
No keyboard and mouse? for $700? It's $800 with the cheapest new keyboard and mouse! (I'd go generic on both counts for $30 tops)
Continues not to have a common monitor connector such as DVI, necessitating an adapter for non-modern-Apple monitors
HDD and CPU (if it isn't surface mounted, which may have been required to achieve the thickness) remain difficult to upgrade

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
Continues not to have a common monitor connector such as DVI, necessitating an adapter for non-modern-Apple monitors
It comes with HDMI to DVI adapter, the last gen came with MDP to DVI.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It comes with HDMI to DVI adapter, the last gen came with MDP to DVI.
That's good to hear.

Are you sure the last gen one came with MDP-DVI? I could have sworn I've ordered a few for profs here at PUC who needed them. Perhaps I misremember.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 11:57 PM

Mac mini (Late 2009) - Technical Specifications
In the box
  • Mac mini
  • Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
  • 110W power adapter and power cord
  • Install/restore DVDs
  • Printed and electronic documentation

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
That's good to hear.

Are you sure the last gen one came with MDP-DVI? I could have sworn I've ordered a few for profs here at PUC who needed them. Perhaps I misremember.
We're both wrong It was mini DVI to DVI (thanks AKcrab)

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 03:07 AM

That is one sexy machine. It will sell like crazy. The home theatre market just lost their minds.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 04:26 AM

I'd have bought the new pricing if it had been fitted with an i5 chip but slinging in a slower C2D than the old version boasted is just taking the piss. I guess someone at apple over ordered at INtel and they need to use them.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 04:28 AM

OK So I specced up a mini. Upgraded the cpu to the faster option. Maxed out the RAM and added a bigger HD and a remote (you know because it's a media centre and media takes up loads of drive space). £1288. Shippings free though. Which is nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules