Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken 2007 - anyone still using?

Quicken 2007 - anyone still using?
bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2011, 12:55 PM

Hi -- Still using Quicken 2007. However, my bank downloads quicken items in the ofx format, but quicken only permits importing in the qif format. Very frustrating...
I'm guessing perhaps I need to update the software and will look into that later on.

Plus, sometime during the summer, quicken on my laptop opened ... not the proper data file. i didn't notice and have progressed nicely and there's really no difference EXCEPT that, despite the fact that I have the data file on dropbox, my desktop cannot see the file. Any clue? It can see a COPY of the file (I made a copy, obviously) but not the data file Quicken is actually using.

So ... I'm wondering a couple things. If I backup to .mac, and then restore from that backup, will that solve the weirdness with one computer not seeing the file? If I update (NOT upgrade) will I get the ability to import ofx files? Are there problems with that?

I've toyed a bit with chucking quicken all together and going with moneywell and/or ibank. Thus far the biggest problem is trying to reconcile the old data, as my quicken file goes back at least 10 years.

Am very confused...

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2011, 02:16 PM

Mint is great.

D1STORT1ON
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2011, 03:11 PM

I'm sort of in the same boat. My bank changed format to csv files and Quicken 2007 can't handle them. I played with iBank this morning and it seemed to do what I want and worked well. I'll probably switch to that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2011, 03:29 PM

I'm still using 2005. My credit union exports for Quicken 2000 and newer as .qfx, which 2005 handles.
45/47

sparker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Hi -- Still using Quicken 2007.

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>

I've toyed a bit with chucking quicken all together and going with moneywell and/or ibank. Thus far the biggest problem is trying to reconcile the old data, as my quicken file goes back at least 10 years.

Am very confused...
I got tired of the annual "I'm going to corrupt your database, but won't tell you where... And... while I'm at it, I'll delete a couple random transactions from your reconciled data from years back"... I had entries in my quicken DB dating back to the late 80's (entered retroactively, of course, but it's still a lot of data) that Quicken kept corrupting, and support couldn't fix (and really didn't care, I had to fight them every step of the way.

I converted to iBank about 2 years back, and have been happy ever since. I've extracted what I could from the old Quicken data, but it did take a while to do. But I'm not losing entries, and my database has never corrupted itself like it used to do annually, forcing me to go back a few days and restore from backups.

Never again, Intuit.... Your apathy and lack of stability in the Mac platform is legendary...

Steve
Steve

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm still using 2005. My credit union exports for Quicken 2000 and newer as .qfx, which 2005 handles.
Well, 2007 is SUPPOSED to be able to, as well. But when I click import, the only choice is qif. Am I missing something?

I've never had corruption issues (KNOCK ON WOOD HERE!!!!!) but am still ready to chuck it all and switch.

I'll have to give ibank another look.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2011, 04:26 PM

Just looked at Mint. The fact that it's online concerns me a bit (of course, all my bank info is, too, so maybe I'm just being silly! But I can't find my bank, so it's a non-starter.

Looks interesting, however.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2011, 07:21 PM

Quicken for Mac is and as been pathetic.

I switched to Quicken for Windows. It's the only app I run in Parallels.
So much better,even though a bit sluggish due to the virtualization.

-t

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Quicken for Mac is and as been pathetic.

I switched to Quicken for Windows. It's the only app I run in Parallels.
So much better,even though a bit sluggish due to the virtualization.

-t
I've been considering that. But it frosts me royally to pay twice for something, and then have to run it in a less-than-stellar environment on top of it. Why should I give Quicken any more money? But I AM used to it, which is a big plus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules