Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using 6100 PPC as file server.....SCSI trouble and more.....

Using 6100 PPC as file server.....SCSI trouble and more.....
euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 04:02 PM

....well i�m not sure if this belongs in here so mod�s feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

My situation: I use an old 6100 Powermac as a file and backup server for my Tibook. My setup:

Powermac: running the generic 60 MHz CPU, 24 MB RAM, two SCSI disks on the internal SCSI-II bus (50 pins), the data disk is an 18.2 GB IBM Ultrastar HDD DDYS-T18350 10k RPM connected to the bus via an SCA::SCSI-2 adaptor (80 pins to 50 pins), the other disk is a "generic" Apple drive (Quantum pro, 350 MB) running the system Mac OS 8.1
When i choose "Information" concerning the 18.2 GB HDD it reads the correct amount (minus the space lost during formatting) of 17.6 GB. The disk is formatted in HFS, the only option running system 8 AFAIK.

When i connect my Tibook (667 MHZ, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.1.5) with the server using Ethernet, Appletalk and DHCP the 18.2 GB disk is mounted on my desktop without any hassle, but when i retrieve "Information" about that mounted volume it reads "1.99 GB capacity, used disk space unknown". when i try to transfer a folder bigger than 1.99 GB the transfer is aborted directly after clicking OK giving an error message "the selected volume is too small to save "XYZ""

Do i have to format the disk in HFS+ in order to get the whole capacity remotely? And if so, how can i do this?

Any input will be highly appreciated,

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
....well i�m not sure if this belongs in here so mod�s feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

My situation: I use an old 6100 Powermac as a file and backup server for my Tibook. My setup:

Powermac: running the generic 60 MHz CPU, 24 MB RAM, two SCSI disks on the internal SCSI-II bus (50 pins), the data disk is an 18.2 GB IBM Ultrastar HDD DDYS-T18350 10k RPM connected to the bus via an SCA::SCSI-2 adaptor (80 pins to 50 pins), the other disk is a "generic" Apple drive (Quantum pro, 350 MB) running the system Mac OS 8.1
When i choose "Information" concerning the 18.2 GB HDD it reads the correct amount (minus the space lost during formatting) of 17.6 GB. The disk is formatted in HFS, the only option running system 8 AFAIK.

When i connect my Tibook (667 MHZ, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.1.5) with the server using Ethernet, Appletalk and DHCP the 18.2 GB disk is mounted on my desktop without any hassle, but when i retrieve "Information" about that mounted volume it reads "1.99 GB capacity, used disk space unknown". when i try to transfer a folder bigger than 1.99 GB the transfer is aborted directly after clicking OK giving an error message "the selected volume is too small to save "XYZ""

Do i have to format the disk in HFS+ in order to get the whole capacity remotely? And if so, how can i do this?

Any input will be highly appreciated,

Pat
I remember that. It's either an appletalk thing or a HFS thing. I think HFS had a file limit of 2GB, but I'm not sure.
Putting 8.5 (or is it 8.6) or 9 on the machine would work, although it'd be slow. A ram upgrade would work (and I think my old 6100 is around somewhere if you need one), and then you'd get HFS+. I can't guarantee that will solve the problem though.
Maybe searching apple's knowledge base will help?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

John Strung
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 06:50 PM

From the horse's mouth: Mac OS 8 and 9 File Sharing Limits

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, Scott and John!

Update: i reinstalled the system on the 18 Gig disk and now the remote capacity is displayed as 3.99 GB
Weird!?!

Quote (from Apples support page): "Personal File Sharing Restrictions

No more than 10 users at one time can be connected.
No more than 10 volumes can be shared.
No more than 10 folders can be shared.
Cannot transfer a file that is larger than 2 GB."

Why is my capacity now 4 GB?

And: Could FTP be a solution for my probs? Could it bypass the limitation of personal file sharing using OS 8?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 09:01 PM

Your best bet is to install YellowDog Linux on the 6100. It will work great and comes with AppleFileSHaring, web (apache), ftp and everything else you'll need. Of course if you wanted a really good file server, you'd need to get a machine that has IDE so you can buy a cheap 200 GB drive and stick that in there
But I've run linux on 6100s a bunch of times, it works very well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules