Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Speed Enhancements

iBook Speed Enhancements
DrSpookles
Sep 6, 2002, 03:17 PM

Hi All

I am the proud owner of an iBook700 combo, and before Jaguar, had done several things to tweak out the speed.

Actually, starting at the beginning, I maxed out the ram. That helped.

I set my display to 16-bit color, which sped up the user interface significantly.

I was using renicer, which really helped out a lot, and now with Jaguar, I cannot use it (it crashes regularly, etc).

What have you done with your iBook that helped out speed issues? I'm especially curious about those using Jaguar, but also not is good too

-DrSpk
"wishing he could run photoshop smoothly"
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 09:03 PM

I just added an extra 256MB RAM to my iBook 600 (384MB total now). I don't know what everyone complains about, I feel that the speed is great in Jaguar.
Perhaps because I don't have a dual G4 or something laying around to compare it to? Anyway, I leave it as-is, because it works great for me.

pilauh
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2002, 11:53 AM

yup,

running the little white rabbit with at least 384MB of RAM is surely the best thing to do... !

the thousands of color situation might help, in my case i used to be in thousands, now in millions and I couldn't say what is the best... so I stay in millions and enjoy the sharpness of the icons on the desktop.

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2002, 08:48 PM

For the most part, I've been pretty happy with the speed of my iBook 600 w/384MB ram under Jaguar. Under Jag, the Finder is just *so* much quicker. I love it.

The best performance tip I can offer is this: don't run iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I love that app. It's just that it sucks so much of the system's resources that there is a very noticable negative impact on the rest of the user experience. If you're lucky enough to own an iPod, listen to that instead. I don't have one, and I can't live without music, so I'm still addicted to iTunes. However, if you can pull yourself away from the beat, you'll have a quicker-running system.

DrSpookles  (op)
Sep 7, 2002, 10:36 PM

Whoops, almost forgot to post this link ... it has somewhat helped out the speed on my iBook, though it should for any Jaguar system.

DrSpk
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2002, 06:03 AM

I know you can run Norton or TechTool Pro 3.07 and diskwarrior to speed it up
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 04:47 PM

Yes, running Norton's Speed Disk should enhance it... I should really look into buying that, I haven't run that ever while running OS X for the past 10 months or so.

One thing to enhance the GUI is to do things that will make the system *appear* to be snappier. A few things I do:
* make the dock small enough so it can hold a few docked windows without having to shink all the icons to fit them in the dock - this makes minimize animations seem a lot smoother
* pin the dock to one side of the screen, so it only has to grow one way, not both sides
* turn off dock magnification... I loved it, and it's weird to not have it on at first, but you get used to it and then like not having your icons get all big when you go to click on them

iTunes, I agree, slows down the computer a lot. However, in Jaguar, I'm just playing it and letting it go, screw performance, I want tuneage

Forum Links
Forum Rules