Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sheikh Yasin murdered.

Sheikh Yasin murdered. (Page 6)
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
What exactly has the UN tried? All I see is condemnation after condemnation for Israel's behavior and little to no recognition of its security issues.
The UN has never been able to do anything since the US has a history of vetoing anything that doesn't favour Israel. And the condemnations have always talked about Israel's security issues. The condemnations have been about Israel using too much power and violating international laws.

This assumes that fundamentalists on both sides will just accept the UN solution. That's a risky assumption IMO. Besides, aren't US soldiers 'helping' the Iraqis right now by deposing an evil tyrant? Doesn't seem to have made them much more popular.
So now we should listen to the fundamentalists? The Iraqis don't view you as helping them. They know very well the history of their nation and won't be fooled as easy as others have regarding this war. Then when you kill about 10k people you can expect that their relatives won't be too happy with your involvement. And since when did you care what the world thinks of you?

I'm against it because I think it's unnecessary and could easily backfire. Get the two sides to respect each other and treat each other as equals, and peace will grow from there. I think it's untrue to suggest that pro-Israeli posters on this forum don't see Palestinians as equals.
But you thought the Iraqi war was necessary and couldn't backfire? How can the two sides respect each other when one side is denied the basic freedoms of life? How can the two sides start to respect each other when one side has to cross checkpoints in their own land? How can the two sides respect each other when they both on a weekly basis blow each other up?

They can't unless they are forced to by an outside force that separates them.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by eklipse:
Evidence?
You mean besides the decades of near ceaseless violence?

edit - I misread the original quote, which was "no, one side wants peace" - I read it as "no side wants peace"

I agree with the latter, not the former. Neither side wants peace. The extremists are in control of both sides.
( Last edited by fizzlemynizzle; Mar 22, 2004 at 07:53 PM. )

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
No, one side wants peace.
Not true, zim.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
You mean besides the decades of near ceaseless violence?

(damn depleted uranium has caused me to grow a third hand.)

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
(damn depleted uranium has caused me to grow a third hand.)

^

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2004, 08:05 PM

The title of this thread is mistaken. Yassin was not murdered, but killed.

In fact, the thread ought to read, "Israel rids world of heinous arch-terrorist."

Yassin was a terrorist to be sure. He is responsible for the deaths of 377 innocent citizens, and that doesn't count the number of suicide bombers which he spurred on to killing.

Yassin was an extreme radical who distorted Islam - more's the shame to him and his followers. Yasin was not a moderate force within Hamas, he incited violence at nearly every turn.

Sheik Yassin has repeatedly made clear his views about temporary accommodation with the Jews. In an interview in 1995 he said:

�Reconciliation with the Jews is a crime .... If reconciliation means a truce and a cessation of fighting for a specified period of time, Islam allows the imam [leader] of the Muslims to undertake such a reconciliation if he believes that the enemy is strong and the Muslims are weak and need time to prepare and build up. I single out Palestine in particular, because it is a land of holy places and an Islamic religious endowment (waqf) that cannot be conceded by any ruler, president or king. Nor may any generation concede it, because it is the property of all generations of Muslims until the Day of Judgement... As for the permitted duration of the truce, many Islamic jurists are of the opinion that it must not exceed 10 years.� (Filastin al-Muslimah, March 1995)

In April 1999, for example, he said:

�We are in the stage of liberating a land, resistance, and Jihad... �

�There is only one way, namely to abandon the capitulationist road [of the Oslo negotiations] and move to the course of resistance and Jihad until the objective is reached. Anything else is impossible.� (Filastin al-Muslimah, April 1999)

Hamas' main objective is to establish an Islamic Palestinian state in place of Israel. This is the classic 'kill all Criminal Zionists (read Jews)' and disenfranchises Christian Arabs as well.

This news is good news for Palestinians who are rid of a corrupt radical.

As for the bodyguards and his two sons who were killed as well, they were hardly innocents. They were in touch with all the terrorists who came in contact with their father. Terrorists and the supporters of terror are not only criminals but combatants in this war.

Hamas can be expected to retaliate for this killing, but this should not deter Israel from killing terrorists and terrorist leaders. To be deterred would be cowardice and appeasement, both of which have been shown as practices that fail.

The terrorists can vow whatever they wish to vow- they killed before Yassin's death, and would have killed had he remained alive. Better that the head of the snake that is Hamas is cut off.

This is not an intifada. This is not a conflict. This is war, declared on Israel by Hamas, Arafat, Fatah, Tanzim, Al-Aqsa, Islamic Jihad, PFLP, DFLP, et al. There is no shame in Israel's fighting the war and winning. The terrorists shouldn't start wars if they don't want to accept losses.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Splinter
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Not true, zim.
I will have to agre with LBK here

the statement should read only ones sides "Army" "prepetrators" "aggerssors" whatever you want to all them would rather peace.

and as usual smackdown award goes to vmarks lol the living history book.
What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. Yiddish proverb

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:14 PM

Yes, please read them. You'll see I hate no one.

Stop being dishonest.

[/b]
[/B][/QUOTE]
If I ignore this, and the hundreds of other threads, your right.

Then again, David Duke considers himself very peaceful and loving.

I'll leave it there, the hazards of you holding a role of power are another thread.

The UN has never been able to do anything since the US has a history of vetoing anything that doesn't favour Israel. And the condemnations have always talked about Israel's security issues. The condemnations have been about Israel using too much power and violating international laws.
The reason why the US is just as bad as anyone else. It blindly backs and signs it's name to anything.

Though, the Bush Administration is obviously not thrilled about this latest assasssination, saying it's "concerned" or something to that effect about the events.

Quite interesting, considering the US historically has been behind this type of stuff. Though I guess this guarantees a giant wave of attacks against Israel, and the US doesn't want to look like a target with Israel.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it would have been a bit more productive if the US outright condemned any use of violence in the conflict. Allowing the US to look more neutral, and into peace.

If the US is serious about this "roadmap", we should condemn any actions that cause someone to drift off the road.

We owe it to ourselves to push the world to end this rediculus bickering and look towards non violent fighting.

If we are getting involved, as we have for years, lets at least be a referee, looking to help the situation, rather than making ourselves a substitute target.

Again, lets overthrow the governments, for the good of the world.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
The terrorists can vow whatever they wish to vow- they killed before Yassin's death, and would have killed had he remained alive. Better that the head of the snake that is Hamas is cut off.
The problem is that these targeted assasinations inspire more bitterness on the part of ordinary Palestinians than anything else. Killing a terrorist leader isn't going to solve anything, someone will just take his place. The real solution is one that cuts off Hamas', PFLP's, etc's influence and hands control over Palestinian affairs back to the moderates. I fail to see how killing Yasin will improve the prospects for peace in any appreciable fashion.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
The problem is that these targeted assasinations inspire more bitterness on the part of ordinary Palestinians than anything else. Killing a terrorist leader isn't going to solve anything, someone will just take his place. The real solution is one that cuts off Hamas', PFLP's, etc's influence and hands control over Palestinian affairs back to the moderates. I fail to see how killing Yasin will improve the prospects for peace in any appreciable fashion.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:26 PM

�Reconciliation with the Jews is a crime .... If reconciliation means a truce and a cessation of fighting for a specified period of time, Islam allows the imam [leader] of the Muslims to undertake such a reconciliation if he believes that the enemy is strong and the Muslims are weak and need time to prepare and build up. I single out Palestine in particular, because it is a land of holy places and an Islamic religious endowment (waqf) that cannot be conceded by any ruler, president or king. Nor may any generation concede it, because it is the property of all generations of Muslims until the Day of Judgement... As for the permitted duration of the truce, many Islamic jurists are of the opinion that it must not exceed 10 years.� (Filastin al-Muslimah, March 1995)
heh, sounds like a muslim Ben-Gurion.

Ayelbourne
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 08:28 PM

And as I write this, Hezbollah has launched retaliatory attacks... mortars and rockets... Israel countering with airstrikes...

Way to break that cycle of violence, fellas.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 08:34 PM

....This is the classic 'kill all Criminal Zionists (read Jews)'...
No - you want it to 'read Jews' so that you can portray the conflict as a religious/rascist one in an attempt to further demonize the other side.

There is a reason why the distinction between Jews and Zionists is usually made.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 08:52 PM

If they want a Civil war, I am pretty sure I know what side is going to come out on top.
Yes, that is a pretty logical explanation for what Sharon is trying to do.

-s*

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Ayelbourne:
And as I write this, Hezbollah has launched retaliatory attacks... mortars and rockets... Israel countering with airstrikes...

Way to break that cycle of violence, fellas.
Once again, mission successful. Sharon has ensured it continues for another night.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:01 PM

Evidence?
they were planning peace talks... until 10 people were murdered in the last two suicide attacks over the last 2 weeks.

Just proves, if you're a terrorist leader in this day and age, you will get killed. Now, they just need to load up and go after the rest.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:04 PM

No - you want it to 'read Jews' so that you can portray the conflict as a religious/rascist one in an attempt to further demonize the other side.

There is a reason why the distinction between Jews and Zionists is usually made.
and everyone knows how hard the suicide bombers try and only hit "Zionists".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
Once again, mission successful. Sharon has ensured it continues for another night.
Gee, and here I thought it was the latest suicide bombs that were responsible... Hmmm...
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
and everyone knows how hard the suicide bombers try and only hit "Zionists".
About just as hard as Israel tries to avoid to hit innocent civilians in their "surgical strikes"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:15 PM

About just as hard as Israel tries to avoid to hit innocent civilians in their "surgical strikes"
Lay with dogs, and you'll get fleas. Hang out with terrorists, and you'll get killed.
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 09:20 PM

Lay with dogs, and you'll get fleas. Hang out with terrorists, and you'll get killed.
Take another mans land pay the price.

See my line, nor your helps at all and doesn't solve anything. Innocent bystanders(like 5-12 year old children) are not legitimate collateral damage IMO.

But I guess that is the difference between the pro-Palestinian side and the pro-Israeli side. We on the pro-Palestinian side can actually condemn actions taken by "our side" while the pro-Israeli side can't and probably never will be able to condemn Israels actions.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 09:25 PM

And now Hamas has released this statement.

O Murderous Zionists, you have bestowed martyrdom upon our Sheikh, and we will bestow violent death upon you on every city and every street.

O masses of our Mujaheed and Islamic people, the sons of our Palestinian people:

The terrorist Zionist Nazis have targeted our founding leader His Eminence the Mujahid Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, after performing morning prayers at the Islamic Complex [Al-Mujamma al-Islami] Mosque.

What the Zionists have committed today illustrates the pinnacle of breakdown and failure.

By directing their rancorous rockets at the chair of the disabled Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, they thought they had killed him.

The Zionists did not know that millions of Muslims will go out to "visit with destruction all that fell into their power" [part of Koranic verse].

Today, Ahmed Yassin will come out from every city, street, and alley to grant them violent death, after they have granted him martyrdom, which total paralysis did not prevent him from seeking.

Today, the criminal [Israeli Prime Minister Ariel] Sharon has issued a death sentence for hundreds of Israelis on every street and every inch of land occupied by the Zionists.

We vow Sheikh Abu Muhammad [Ahmed Yassin] to continue our march, and pursue Zionists everywhere they hide.

Abu Muhammad, your martyrdom-seeking sons will inform you of their retaliation soon.

So rest in peace our leader, teacher, sheikh, instructor, icon, our joy, and our dearest.

O Sheikh, Palestine and the Islamic nation will not miss you because you have planted strong righteous men in every house and every street. They have carried your thought and marched on your path.

While announcing to the entire world the death of the founder of the Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas, and the guide of the Muslim Brotherhood Group in Palestine, His Eminence Leader Sheikh Ahmed Isma'il Yassin, also known as Abu-Muhammad, and his companions, Ezzedin al-Qassam Martyrs, stresses the following:

1. He who made the decision to assassinate Sheikh Ahmed Yassin has made a decision to kill hundreds of Zionists.

2. The Zionists did not take such a step without the approval of the terrorist US administration. Therefore, it should bear responsibility for this crime.

3. The Zionists will soon see, not hear, our response, God willing.

4. The response to the assassination of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin will not be made on the level of all the Palestinian people's mujahideen factions only, but all Muslims in the entire Muslim world will have the honor to respond to this crime.

They ask you when will that be, say: Maybe it will be quite soon [Koranic verse].

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 09:26 PM

And now Hamas has released this statement.
They sound a little upset.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:31 PM

See my line, nor your helps at all and doesn't solve anything. Innocent bystanders(like 5-12 year old children) are not legitimate collateral damage IMO.

But I guess that is the difference between the pro-Palestinian side and the pro-Israeli side. We on the pro-Palestinian side can actually condemn actions taken by "our side" while the pro-Israeli side can't and probably never will be able to condemn Israels actions.
I have no problem with seeing the bad side of Israel's actions, I just see their actions as completely justifiable. As far as "taking their land", the Israeli's bought that land. The Palestinians are simply pissed that it was sold in the first place.

It's unfortunate that the Palesitinians have had civilian deaths, especially children. Maybe they should rise up against the terrorist Hamas pigs that are causing them all these problems. Hmmm?
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 09:32 PM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
They sound a little upset.
Nothing a few 300 mega-ton FAE bombs can't cure.
- Thomas Paine

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 09:35 PM

It is official: The world is f*ck�d.

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2004, 09:39 PM

Good article on Hamas
Legitimate fighters? Who strap bombs on to little children without their knowledge? They're pigs, and they should/will die... unless they cease and desist, turn over a new leaf, so to speak. Tell ya what, they stop with the suicide bombings for 3 months, and we'll see how much traction they get with the US and Israel. Otherwise, Israel may decide to repeat what happened a couple decades ago... with a much higher casualty count.
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Splinter:
and as usual smackdown award goes to vmarks lol the living history book.
Indeed.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:42 PM

If I ignore this, and the hundreds of other threads, your right.

Then again, David Duke considers himself very peaceful and loving.

I'll leave it there, the hazards of you holding a role of power are another thread.

Again baseless.

Please show the HATE.

Give me examples of me HATING.

Nice David Duke comparison.

You've gone loony. Seek help.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes, that is a pretty logical explanation for what Sharon is trying to do.

-s*
Yeah I am sure it wasn't to get rid of a evil terrorist that is responsible for hundreds of innocent lives being taken ON PURPOSE.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:46 PM

Gee, and here I thought it was the latest suicide bombs that were responsible... Hmmm...
Yeah they don't want to admit anything like that. Or the fact Israel would have no reason to launch said attacks if it wasn't for these ignorant death squads.

If anything, people should be blaming the terrorists.

But some people can't learn what they refuse to see.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 09:47 PM

It was never their land. Ever. Spin that somewhere else.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 09:50 PM

+1

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 10:24 PM

I'm speechless. They could have just walked in and wheeled him off to court. Sharon is plumbing new depths every day.
e-gads

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2004, 10:31 PM

gadster you sure they could have just taken him and hauled him off?

No resistance would have been met with at all I am sure.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 10:31 PM

Retaliation?

pawn
n.
A chess piece of lowest value that may move forward one square at a time or two squares in the first move, capture other pieces only on a one-space diagonal forward move, and be promoted to any piece other than a king upon reaching the eighth rank.

A person or an entity used to further the purposes of another.

A bishop is worth a few pawns.

Quiet in the gallery please.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 10:44 PM

Who's land was it, then ?? (<-- Serious question here. It definitely didn't belong to the people who have it now.)

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Who's land was it, then ?? (<-- Serious question here. It definitely didn't belong to the people who have it now.)
Really? Then who did?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 10:56 PM

So now those strong anti-terrorists in the Bush admin are criticizing Israel for taking out this terrorist.
"We're deeply troubled by this morning's events in Gaza," said Richard Boucher, the State Department spokesman, adding that all sides, including Israel, should now "exercise maximum restraint" and "do everything possible to avoid any further actions that would make more difficult the restoration of calm.

An administration official acknowledged that a change of tone was chosen only after a torrent of criticism erupted throughout the Arab world, and was then joined by condemnations from the European Union and Britain, the United States' closest ally in the Iraq war.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
So now those strong anti-terrorists in the Bush admin are criticizing Israel for taking out this terrorist.

Hmmm...

Sounds like Bush is playing Al-Qaeda's agenda...

Damn!.... Why am I thinking of Spain now?

Someone?

Help me please?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 11:50 PM

Lets look at the facts:
Jews ruled the land for aprox 550... lets just call it 800, since we can assume there some unknown years.

BUT, they occupied the land originally by invading and slaughtering the Canaanites, which according to historians occupied the land for an estimated 5000 years. The canaanites are technically ancestors of the modern day Palestinian population (I believe syrian as well, though could be another neighboring country).

So unless every historian is wrong, and all the archeological evidence is completely wrong... your wrong.

Historical evidence also shows that the Jews were a nomadic people for the majority of their existance. If they claim all as their land, it would extend from north africa into western europe, and into asia.

So according to history, the rights are rather joint. Far from "it was never their land". At a minimum "it was both their land".

Splinter
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 05:01 AM

Lets look at the facts:
Jews ruled the land for aprox 550... lets just call it 800, since we can assume there some unknown years.

BUT, they occupied the land originally by invading and slaughtering the Canaanites, which according to historians occupied the land for an estimated 5000 years. The canaanites are technically ancestors of the modern day Palestinian population (I believe syrian as well, though could be another neighboring country).

So unless every historian is wrong, and all the archeological evidence is completely wrong... your wrong.

Historical evidence also shows that the Jews were a nomadic people for the majority of their existance. If they claim all as their land, it would extend from north africa into western europe, and into asia.

So according to history, the rights are rather joint. Far from "it was never their land". At a minimum "it was both their land".
so any land conquered in this fashion is no longer a legitamet conquest of that nation?... thats how it was done back then... dont like it? build a time travel device and fix it. Untill then STFU or give denmark back to sweeden give ukraine back to russia give pakistan back to india (or whatever happened there) and give america back to the indians and go back to Europe.
What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. Yiddish proverb

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Retaliation?

pawn
n.
A chess piece of lowest value that may move forward one square at a time or two squares in the first move, capture other pieces only on a one-space diagonal forward move, and be promoted to any piece other than a king upon reaching the eighth rank.

A person or an entity used to further the purposes of another.

A bishop is worth a few pawns.

Quiet in the gallery please.
Ahhhh... but don't discount the knight, he is a sneaky bastard.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 05:49 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2004, 06:21 AM

Yeah I am sure it wasn't to get rid of a evil terrorist that is responsible for hundreds of innocent lives being taken ON PURPOSE.
Most definitely not.

There would be absolutely no point to doing that they way it was EXCEPT to incite further violence.

You are right, though: In an all-out civil war, Israel might actually come out on top. I'm beginning to believe that this is exactly what Sharon is planning. I see no other explanation that doesn't imply his total incompetence.

Unfortunately, all-out civil war is probably the worst thing that can happen - for everybody on the planet except Sharon.

-s*

saab95
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Nicko:
They just turned a martyr into a saint.

How exactly does this improve things?
Terrorists are only saints to the criminal minds.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

saab95
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 08:36 AM

The title of this thread is mistaken. Yassin was not murdered, but killed.

In fact, the thread ought to read, "Israel rids world of heinous arch-terrorist."

Yassin was a terrorist to be sure. He is responsible for the deaths of 377 innocent citizens, and that doesn't count the number of suicide bombers which he spurred on to killing.

Yassin was an extreme radical who distorted Islam - more's the shame to him and his followers. Yasin was not a moderate force within Hamas, he incited violence at nearly every turn.

Sheik Yassin has repeatedly made clear his views about temporary accommodation with the Jews. In an interview in 1995 he said:

In April 1999, for example, he said:

�We are in the stage of liberating a land, resistance, and Jihad... �

�There is only one way, namely to abandon the capitulationist road [of the Oslo negotiations] and move to the course of resistance and Jihad until the objective is reached. Anything else is impossible.� (Filastin al-Muslimah, April 1999)

Hamas' main objective is to establish an Islamic Palestinian state in place of Israel. This is the classic 'kill all Criminal Zionists (read Jews)' and disenfranchises Christian Arabs as well.

This news is good news for Palestinians who are rid of a corrupt radical.

As for the bodyguards and his two sons who were killed as well, they were hardly innocents. They were in touch with all the terrorists who came in contact with their father. Terrorists and the supporters of terror are not only criminals but combatants in this war.

Hamas can be expected to retaliate for this killing, but this should not deter Israel from killing terrorists and terrorist leaders. To be deterred would be cowardice and appeasement, both of which have been shown as practices that fail.

This is not an intifada. This is not a conflict. This is war, declared on Israel by Hamas, Arafat, Fatah, Tanzim, Al-Aqsa, Islamic Jihad, PFLP, DFLP, et al. There is no shame in Israel's fighting the war and winning. The terrorists shouldn't start wars if they don't want to accept losses.
I agree, vmarks, but the one who started this thread is clearly anti-Israeli.

Consider the source.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

Ayelbourne
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 08:42 AM

Ayelbourne says:

"Captain, we are within scanning range of Cheron."

"Is it within visual range?"

"Coming within visual range now."

"Chekov, put it on the screen, extreme magnification. What are you picking up?"

"Several large cities, uninhabited. Extensive traffic systems, barren of traffic. Lower animal sand vegetation encroaching on the cities. No sapient life-forms registering at all, Captain."

"There is no evidence of natural disaster, yet there are vast numbers of unburied corpses in all cities."

"You mean, all the people are dead?"

"All dead, Captain. They have annihilated each other totally."

"My people, my-- all dead?"

"Yes, Commissioner, all of them."

"No one alive?"

"None at all, sir."

"Your band of murderers did this..."

"Your insane asylum maniacs did this!!"

"Stop it! What's the matter with you two? Didn't you hear Spock? Your planet is dead! There's nobody alive on Cheron because of hate. The cause you fought about no longer exists. Give yourselves time to breathe. Give up your hate! You're welcome to live with us. Listen to me - you both must end up dead if you don't stop hating!"

"You're an idealistic dreamer..."

"Bele? The chase is finished."

"He must not escape me!"

"Where can he go? Bele?"

"Shall I alert security, sir?

"No, Lieutenant... where can they run?"

"Captain, I have located them on ship's sensors. Someone has activated the transporter mechanism."

"Spock, anyone in the transporter room?

"Negative, Captain. Transporter room is clear. However, there is a life-form materializing on the planet. It is Lokai. He is back on Cheron."

"There's nobody there to try him... his judges are all dead..."

"Captain, the transporter mechanism has been activated again. Of course - it is Bele, Captain... and another life-form has appeared on Cheron."

"It doesn't make any sense."

"To expect sense from two mentalities of such extreme viewpoints... is not logical."

"But their planet's dead. Does it matter now which one's right?"

"Not to Lokai and Bele. All that matters to them is their hate."

"Do you suppose that's all they ever had, sir?"

"No... but that's all they have left."

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Ayelbourne:
Ayelbourne says:

"No... but that's all they have left."

Great classic trek episode. Perhaps it woudn't be so bad to give each side a few nukes...let the impending mushroom cloud sort them out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules