Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone/iPod touch 2.0.2 Software available

iPhone/iPod touch 2.0.2 Software available
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2008, 05:28 PM

Downloading now

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 05:45 PM

Downloading,248 MB big.....they for sure don't like those small updates lately in Cupertino.

There are rumours that 3G reception is improved.....
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pete.z View Post
There are rumours that 3G reception is improved.....
Rumors, fact or hope?

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 05:54 PM

If I where a software engineer at Apple,I would simply make the signal bar a bit higher......but:

from macrumors.com
The iPhone Blog reports that iPhone firmware 2.0.2 will be released at 5:00 PM Eastern time, just a few minutes from now. According to their source, AT&T has said that "the results of this software release will improve the customer’s experience while operating on our network." While details of the update remain unknown, it may address the 3G connectivity issues being experienced by 2% of iPhone customers.

Apple continues to seed beta versions of the iPhone firmware 2.1, suggesting that the 2.0.2 update may consist of only minor "bug fixes" or be focused on only a small number of issues requiring immediate attention by Apple.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 06:00 PM

The 248 is the entire OS. Apple has been replacing it rather than just updating parts of it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 06:08 PM

Well,in that case,my entire OS is replaced by now,no dramatic changes as far as I can see.
3G reception here in my house is still close to nothing,but that doesn't say much
MOSTLY HARMLESS

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 06:10 PM

I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs first. Curious to see if anyone gets better 3G reception after the update.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2008, 06:10 PM

Can't see anything new here either. I am hoping for an option that allows you to use 3G for data and Edge for voice.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2008, 06:29 PM

If it's primarily to cover 3G issues, I will wait on updating my 1st Generation iPhone.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 07:01 PM

I hope it fixes the random freeze-when-waking-up-from-sleep thingy my iPod touch has been having since the 2.0.1 update (or possibly 2.0 update)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 18, 2008, 08:20 PM

I'll give it a try, but I don't expect much in terms of 3G reception; any reception in my apartment sucks. My iPhone doesn't do any better than my RAZR.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2008, 09:39 PM

It seems "snappier".

Sorry, someone had to say it.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
It seems "snappier".

Groan.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2008, 10:30 PM

No, no they didn't.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
Downloading now
Waiting to hear if it fixes more problems than it creates ...

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2008, 11:01 PM

Big alert here - they seemed to have fixed the long backups! I just upgraded and sync'd and watched it do a full backup in 8 seconds flat. Super awesome!

edit: well that is a bust. For kicks, I decided to do a manual backup just to confirm the quickness of it and watched it take just as long as it did under 2.0.1..... huh, some sort of weirdness there.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 01:17 AM

In my experience -- a pair of post-2.0.2 backups -- it's still the same BS, 5 minute long process... More like 15 minutes, with no cancel option, while iTunes was actually doing the 2.0.2 update.

I also get the MDC Crash Report (or somesuch) has quit unexpectedly error every $&#%ing time I plug in for a sync, as well.

After a half hour of surfing around and using my 2.0.2 iPhone, I've noticed only one thing different. Safari hasn't crashed on me with multiple tabs open.

Speaking of Safari and tabs, a big use for me is when using Google Reader. You click on stuff you're interested in and it opens in a new tab. Why is it then that every time you switch to a new tab it refreshes the page? It's so frustrating to click the tabs button on Mobile Safari, see the info you want on a particular tab, click the tab, have it go full-screen, then re-&#%$ing load... Especially since AT&T sucks so bad I'm perpetually on EDGE (good thing they're scamming me for an extra $10 a month for their non-existent 3G "service").
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I also get the MDC Crash Report (or somesuch) has quit unexpectedly error every $&#%ing time I plug in for a sync, as well.
I've been getting this a lot for a week also. Is this a known issue?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 03:13 AM

In my experience -- a pair of post-2.0.2 backups -- it's still the same BS, 5 minute long process... More like 15 minutes, with no cancel option, while iTunes was actually doing the 2.0.2 update.

Googling that, it seems "MDC Crash Reporter" is a MOZILLA app, and part of Mozilla and Firefox.

Not sure what it has to do with the iPhone.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 03:23 AM

No, not really.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 03:23 AM

Supposedly the Contacts/Camera lags are gone. Can anybody confirm that? I'm going to update later as soon as I get around to it.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Supposedly the Contacts/Camera lags are gone. Can anybody confirm that? I'm going to update later as soon as I get around to it.
The contacts are MUCH faster. It's actually usable now!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 08:49 AM

Hmmm... The update corrupted my iPhone.

Restoring now.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 10:26 AM

I can confirm that the contacts are much smother now - still a tiny bit of lag, but almost gone. If by camera lag you mean the amount of time it would take to go back and forth between the photo library and the camera once camera was launched, yes that is much faster then it was for me previously. A nice improvement.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 11:20 AM

GPS seems improved some, too. I get a quick GPS lock every time now. Under 2.0.1, it would lock on once or twice per session, but I'd have to power off, then on again to get subsequent locks. That, I can report with certainty, is thankfully fixed. However -- and you knew there'd be one -- GPS seems slightly less accurate. Under 2.0.1, it would put the blue pulsating dot over the exact room I was in at home or work. Now it's off up to 100 feet or so. Still, I consider it an improvement.

Anyone else see the browser tab behavior I referenced a couple of posts up, where it refreshes the page when you select a tab which had previously loaded in the background?

Lastly, absolutely ZERO keyboard lag while hammering out my too long posts in this thread.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2008, 11:31 AM

My list of contacts is also coming up noticeably faster.

However, the biggest surprise in the first 14 hours for me was at how much longer my battery is lasting on a charge. Not enough time with the new firmware yet to attribute that (solely) to the 2.0.2 update; but I sure hope I get the same performance out of it tomorrow. Might even make it through a whole day on a charge now. As reference, that's on a 3G iPhone with all the features enabled, (push data services, 3G, WiFi, etc.)

Kfunk
Aug 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by issa View Post
My list of contacts is also coming up noticeably faster.

However, the biggest surprise in the first 14 hours for me was at how much longer my battery is lasting on a charge. Not enough time with the new firmware yet to attribute that (solely) to the 2.0.2 update; but I sure hope I get the same performance out of it tomorrow. Might even make it through a whole day on a charge now. As reference, that's on a 3G iPhone with all the features enabled, (push data services, 3G, WiFi, etc.)
I noticed the same thing with my 1st generation after one day. Let's cross our fingers...

kkthompson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 05:57 PM

Anyone else see the browser tab behavior I referenced a couple of posts up, where it refreshes the page when you select a tab which had previously loaded in the background?
Yes, it too drives me to distraction when using Google Reader. I was hoping for an app for Reader. I'm not sure if it's something Apple or Google needs to fix.
Kelly Thompson

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 06:01 PM

Contacts still lags for me from time to time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Contacts still lags for me from time to time.
Same here.

Immediately after the update it opened very quickly and I thought they had fixed it. But now a few hours and two syncs later it's again got this nasty 2s lag after launch where it simply doesn't react to any input. I'm guessing the lag is a lot worse for people with hundreds of contacts. It's a PITA.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2008, 03:44 AM

But now a few hours and two syncs later it's again got this nasty 2s lag after launch where it simply doesn't react to any input.
This closely describes what I'm experiencing on "the morning after". The list of contacts pops up nice and quick. But then there's that unresponsive second or two, during which I reflexively move my finger to try and scroll. And it's that stumbling sensation that makes operation feel most cumbersome.

On the bright side, overall operation feels good with 2.0.2. The jump from the Camera app to the Film Roll after snapping a shot does feel more responsive. And, best of all, I'm continuing to see much better run time out of my battery today.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hmmm... The update corrupted my iPhone.

Restoring now.
Contacts were fast immediately after my restore. Now it's just as slow as it was before.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 09:10 AM

Why can't Apple get this right? Are even the developers convinced that Apple can do no wrong, and therefore aren't trying to do it right?

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2008, 09:13 AM

Same thing for me. It was fast again for a while; now it's slower than before. 8s before I could type this time....

Pair of iPhones

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 09:49 AM

Things seem slightly snappier on my Touch.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 10:08 AM

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 11:19 AM

I installed it today, and noticed that the lag in typing an SMS is still there. For crying out loud, this is the second update since 2.0 came out. Are we going to have to wait until the 2.1 update in September to see bugs like this squashed?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 01:46 PM

I'm wondering what bugs are being fixed? The "it can be jailbroken" bug?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 01:50 PM

I still completely fail to understand the thinking behind Apple's update descriptions. Why even go to the effort of having an information window if all you're going to put there is "Bug fixes". At least with some regular Mac updates, they'll give you a link to Apple's site where they list a few specific issues that are being addressed, but it's still pretty dismal. I'm certainly not complaining that they're updating frequently, but what's the harm to having some guy type out a few bullet points as to what they worked on? Maybe Steve thinks it's beautifully minimalist, but it just comes off as having no clue how to communicate with your customers.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I'm certainly not complaining that they're updating frequently ...
except, they don't seem to be fixing anything in their bug fixes/updates.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 02:26 PM

Exactly- There's nothing to gauge by, except that they used the plural form of fix, so we can assume that they fixed at least two things. Then again who knows if this means "3G connectivity issues as well as SMS responsiveness", or simply "we misspelled a couple things."

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 03:24 PM

My battery seems to be lasting longer. And I haven't dropped a call in two days; whereas, before I would drop 3-4/day.

corporate ZOMBIE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 04:21 PM

I haven't noticed too many issues with the update on my 1st gen phone. Contacts still lag a little, but it's not bad. Haven't had any apps crash yet. Camera is a lot better. I do not get the nasty lag when moving it around to take a photo. So far I haven't had lag in my typing yet, but we'll see how long that lasts. Phone reception still poor in places. Really hoping that gets fixed with the 2.1 update. The newest thing I noticed (and this may have been a part of the 2.0 update, but I didn't try it or hear anything about it) is that you can save pics from your email to your phone. Was pretty excited about that.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Except that Contacts was bog slow in 2.0 and has gotten considerably faster in 2.0.1 and 2.0.2, so it isn't just placebo.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:06 PM

"bug fixes"...sounds boring.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bpl323 View Post
"bug fixes"...sounds boring.
What's with the slew of one-line posts?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 02:55 AM

except, they don't seem to be fixing anything in their bug fixes/updates.
At this point we might want to remind ourselves that there is a difference between "they didn't fix anything" and "I can't see what they fixed". What would Apple's motivation be in wasting a lot of money on serving a bug fix that fixes nothing? Obviously there is none. It's a real PITA Apple doesn't offer details on these fixes, but it's silly to assume they fix nothing at all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 08:41 AM

At this point we might want to remind ourselves that there is a difference between "they didn't fix anything" and "I can't see what they fixed". What would Apple's motivation be in wasting a lot of money on serving a bug fix that fixes nothing? Obviously there is none. It's a real PITA Apple doesn't offer details on these fixes, but it's silly to assume they fix nothing at all.
Exactly. When they say "bug fixes", the expectation is that the fixes are going to fix the bugs we see. When the bugs we see aren't fixed, it leads us to wonder what exactly they're wasting a lot of money on.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2008, 10:14 AM

Exactly. When they say "bug fixes", the expectation is that the fixes are going to fix the bugs we see. When the bugs we see aren't fixed, it leads us to wonder what exactly they're wasting a lot of money on.
But then if they give us a list of low-level fixes that aren't readily apparent to the user (i.e., only the nerdliest would understand what's been changed/corrected/updated), another whole group of people shows up to complain "Why bother telling me that you fixed this piece of code or that part of a framework?"

QS

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 10:26 AM

Why not just put a link that says: "for a full list of issues addressed in this update, visit this article:"
It's not like you can't make both parties happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules