Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Sort items alphabetically....

Sort items alphabetically....
Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 02:44 PM

Hey,

is there a way to sort items alphabetically by title and ignoring the words The or A for example?

Thanks

P.S. for version 2. Maybe better way grabbing information from Amzon.de so the description is correct.
( Last edited by Scrubelicious; Sep 30, 2007 at 03:52 PM. )

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2007, 05:28 PM

To sort items by title, select title from the sort descriptor at the top of the screen (in shelf mode) or click the title column (in list mode). Bear in mind the Recent Imports shelf always sorts by import order.

The articles that are ignored depend on your localization. This list is located in your localization bundle's Localizable.strings file, under the comment:

/* Comma-separated list of definite articles in your language (including spaces), for ignoring during sorting. */

In English, the list is:
"A ,An ,The " = "A ,An ,The ";

In German, the list is:
"A ,An ,The " = "Der ,Die ,Das ";

If you are using the German localization and want to ignore all size, I guess you can change this to:
"A ,An ,The " = "A ,An ,The ,Der ,Die ,Das ";

Scrubelicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 06:04 PM

Sorry but I got lost at
Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
The articles that are ignored depend on your localization. This list is located in your localization bundle's Localizable.strings file, under the comment:

/* Comma-separated list of definite articles in your language (including spaces), for ignoring during sorting. */
I did a search for the file Localizable.string/s no luck or is this located some where else

I found the way to sort my Title but not where to ignore "The, A & An"
So there is no setting in Applications itself?

Thanks for bearing with me.
( Last edited by Scrubelicious; Sep 30, 2007 at 08:29 PM. )

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2007, 11:00 PM

Sorry, that was the decision of your localizers. I guess they didn't think that Germans are at least bilingual! To correct this, select the application bundle (probably in /Applications) and right- or control-click to bring up the contextual menu. Select "show package contents," then surf in to the Resources directory. Locate your localization (sounds like German.lproj) and the Localizable.strings file therein. Edit it in any text editor.

Scrubelicious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 11:32 PM

Ahh it is in the Application Container.
Found it and fixed it. Yeah I had to change the Englishl.proj

Yeah bilingual over here.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules