Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Feature Requests for Future Version of DL

Feature Requests for Future Version of DL
mrdlcastle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 11:30 AM

Now that we can see some of the features that are being added to the new version of DL (see Wired's First Look: Delicious Library 2.0 [ First Look: Delicious Library 2.0 Burns With Animated Cool ]), I thought we should start a thread for things we would love to see to make this the best kick ass product around.
First wouldn't it be best to have DL spend time on features that really further the app? I have seen many requests that are somewhat better left for the end-user to figure out than building it into the app. For example, there is one where it is suggested that the Location in Building be altered to support more specific sections.

In my opinion, adding a way to document where the book/cd/movie is in your house should be done by the user instead of DL. Think about it, you have room>bookshelf>shelf, I may want room>box>location in box.
I took care of this by doing my own, for my DVDs I do 'Silver003.02B' which translates to DVD Storage Case #3 Sleeve #2 Side B.
For those that want to do the same for your bookshelves, label them like I did and you'd be all set.
The ideas presented by cbarra were pretty good especially the following:
- Share one library across multiple computers in your house
- Have the database hosted on a higher performance solution (MySQL, CoreDB,..)
- Publish the database to the web
One way that the sharing can happen is with maybe a free widget/applet that allows one to read the DL data file. If the second suggestion is implemented it would make it much easier, but it could be done with the third suggestion as well (It seems like DL2 will have this option already in place).

As for a feature that I would like considered for inclusion on the next update/version.
I apologize if this is repetitive, but I would like for a way to allow DL to archive my DVDs and allow me to play them right from the shelf (much like sintax software's Matinee). This could be done easily with adding a couple of fields, location of Video_TS at the item level and Video_TS player in preferences.

Anyway, that is my .02.

What other features would you guys/gals like implemented in DL that would enhance the application further? Please make sure you read the First Look to make sure your suggestion is not already slated to be included in the next release.
( Last edited by mrdlcastle; Nov 8, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to add final portion...)

Feynman
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2007, 12:26 PM

I'm sure many would agree with me here; TV on DVD as it's on shelf and not shared with the Movies shelf.

TV is a separate type of entertainment and with my TV on DVD collection growing to over one hundred series, with multiple seasons of each, I for one do not want them mixed with my movie collection

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2007, 02:18 AM

Comics, comics, comics, comics.

comiccollectorlive.com has a sticky thread on their forums: Comic Collector Live!

Note comment near bottom from Joe Butler, CEO of CCL regarding opening up their DB to other clients. DL is *specifically* mentioned as a suggestion.

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 09:11 AM

I already have comic book integration with GCD working. I'll be improving it when DL2 comes out.

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2007, 01:31 AM

Nice hack (truly), but I'm thinking of something a lot more streamlined. For one thing, there needs to be a quick and easy way of saying "This series, next issue" instead of starting from scratch every time.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:18 AM

If he builds an API, and makes it available for linkage (translating into sales) along the lines of what Amazon does, either we or someone else would inevitably integrate comics into Delicious Library.

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 08:15 AM

Yep, I have a plan for that. I've been talking with the GCD guys and have gotten an export of their database. This'll allow me to return Similar Items, without doing heavy searches on their end, which I'm thinking would be the previous two issues, and the next four issues. In DL1, you could drag and drop them to your Shelf; in DL2, you'd be able to click the magick plus sign. This should make "next issue" be pretty easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules