Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > maybe here will help

maybe here will help
squrly wrath87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 08:36 PM

ok people i need help with my iMac. i have an old iMac G3 266 with OS 9. and i was wondering if somone can help me. i use my iMac for typing papers for classes. wich need to be printed. and i dont know how to connect my printer, because its connected through a network (with the TCP/IP number and such) any help?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2006, 08:45 PM

If you're on the same network subnet, you should be able to find the printer listed in the Printer menu of the Print sheet. If you're on a different subnet you can try IP printing, which is explained in general terms here.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 09:57 PM

It's nice that you actually *read* the guys post before you dumped a useless reply on him. I see his post saying he runs Mac OS 9, and not Mac OS 10.3.3... You can go to the Apple Menu, go to the Chooser and see if it's listed under laserwriter8, if the printer has Appletalk enabled on the printer it might show up in there, if not you should be able to type in the printers IP address and find it that way. It will ask you to select a PPD file, a generic is good enough for most printers, adversely you may need to find a PPD file from the printers manufacturer, or find a PPD that accurately fits the description of the printer you're attempting to print to.

I hope this helps.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

squrly wrath87  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 10:57 PM

ok thanks. ill have to try that.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 11:31 PM

As far as IP printing under Mac OS 9, I believe you will need to use the Desktop Printer Utility. I don't think you can create an IP printer via Chooser. Desktop Printer Utility should be in the Utilities folder. Select LPR printer. Then choose the proper PPD and enter the IP address as the Network Address. You can click Verify to make sure it is able to communicate with the printer before you actually create it.

NOTE - I am going completely from memory here, so some details might not be exact. Been a looooong time since working with OS 9.

squrly wrath87  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2006, 01:32 PM

thanks alot! i did what you said and it works fine

Forum Links
Forum Rules