Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Music Mixing Software

Music Mixing Software
Zencapop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 01:14 PM

Hello,

Is there a simple non-real time music/audio/mp3 mixing software available for Mac? I want to be able to change the pitch/tempo of the tracks and mix together multiple tracks so as to create non-stop sets.

I used to use Acoustica's MP3 Audio Mixer on the PC but they don't make it for Mac. Anyone know of a similar program for Mac?

Please help!

Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 01:50 PM

Before anybody suggests it, GarageBand can NOT do time-stretching/pitching.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 12, 2009, 02:02 PM

How about Audacity? It can do a lot of different effects, including mixing.

putrid
Jun 14, 2009, 02:21 AM

Howdy Zencapop, seems we're in the same boat here. I'm used to Acid Pro when working with wave files. Unlimited tracks, pitch and tempo flexibility. And the ability to sinc to foly. I'm still on the hunt for something affordable for Mac.

Zencapop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by putrid View Post
Howdy Zencapop, seems we're in the same boat here. I'm used to Acid Pro when working with wave files. Unlimited tracks, pitch and tempo flexibility. And the ability to sinc to foly. I'm still on the hunt for something affordable for Mac.
Hmmm. This is irritating. I can't believe that they don't have something for Mac. But hey putrid, do let me know if you come across any software and I will let you know if I find something.

By the way, I tried Audacity and it sucks big time.

putrid
Jun 14, 2009, 12:55 PM

Audacity is good for adding effects and some EQ that Acid Pro didn't have. I think it's better for a tape recorder type app for folks who just want a quick playback.

I'm guessing from what you posted you do house or DJ mixes. I do back ground mixing. In Acid I can take a single short wave file ( say thunder) and use it in 4 to 6 tracks. I can extend it out wile lowering it's pitch, Then finally add ambients across two tracks ( far left, far right) to have it fade off in the distants.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 01:57 PM

Open-source, free:

ardour - the digital audio workstation

I haven't looked at it, yet.

putrid
Jun 14, 2009, 08:52 PM

Now this IS interesting! Totally cool link Spheric Harlot. The first pic isn't very helpful. Mostly plug-ins over the top of the work space. However the second showing the tracks and what I'm guessing is the overall mastering mixdown looks like a lot of fun to play with. Strait forward looking software.

As far as costs go this is copied strait from the site.

"As noted elsewhere, you have a choice of paying something (anything!) for the version with AudioUnit state & preset handling, or getting a version without those features for free."

It would seem that choosing to pay a bit would get you a program with more features.

The big thing that's missing is a page or two on just what this program does and how it handles wave files, live feeds or pre recorded songs. I guess taking the time to read threw the forum would give you most of it's features. but it would be nice not to have to hunt for em.

TOTALLY cool find Spheric Harlot. Thanks for posting!

Zencapop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2009, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the link, Spheric Harlot. It looks like a nifty little software but it's full of bugs. I downloaded the free version (I paid $0) just to check it out and it kept crashing. Also, it is unable to import .mp3 files. I only used it for a few minutes but it kept hanging up on me. It also requires something called JACK to be installed on your Mac before it can run. Although it really looks good and powerful, it just does not work too well.

And ya, putrid. I do electronica DJ mixes. Even though I have explored many styles, I find that progressive house/trance is what I do best.

OreoCookie
Jun 15, 2009, 05:17 AM

You can do that with DJay: even though it's `live' DJ software, you can hit the record button and it's very simple to use.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 05:41 AM

If you use Traktor or Final Scratch, you can just feed that into, say, GarageBand (using the free "SoundFlower"), and record there.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2009, 02:20 AM

You could also use Ableton Live, pre-mix a set, and then export it as a .wav or .aiff.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

putrid
Jun 17, 2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Open-source, free:

ardour - the digital audio workstation

I haven't looked at it, yet.
Been checking out the on site forum and it seems you have to be well versed in program coding to get the bugs out yourself. Don't understand why anyone would voluntarily pay for something that didn't work. Oh wait, I bought a Vista, never mind.......LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules