Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > macOS Sierra

macOS Sierra (Page 2)
And.reg
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Dec 7, 2016, 12:39 PM

Why is Safari not allowing me to Quit?

Also could not log out because Safari "interrupted the process." All I did was try to load a print job from my work.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2016, 02:02 PM

Check around the screen for a Safari dialog box. Possibly behind another window.

P
Dec 7, 2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
There is no "Wake for network access" option.

I have:

Turn the display off after: (slider bar)

then checkboxes for:

Put hard disks to sleep when possible
Slightly dim the display while on battery power
Enable Power Nap while on battery power
I only have that checkbox in the "while on AC power" tab. If I am on the battery tab, it is gone.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2016, 07:10 PM

Typing "caffeinate sh" in the Terminal, without the quotes and followed by a return, will also cause the computer not to sleep for the duration of time that the Terminal window is open. Somewhat geekier than the screen corner solution, but also much more difficult to do by accident and waste a lot of energy.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

And.reg
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Dec 13, 2016, 02:52 PM

If you update to 10.12.2 - Apple's battery menu will not show you how much time you have remaining on battery, according to this article.

Fortunately for me, I purchased iStat Menu Pro. Great set of gadgets that tell me random stuff.

Hey Apple... just a thought, might also want to remove the WiFi icon since I always get 4/4 bars and it's not always accurate...

And.reg
The Mighty
Jan 13, 2017, 10:47 PM

Ever since upgrading to 10.12.2, I've been seeing a white line maybe 1 pixel high and about a thousand pixels long that lasts 1/4th-second usually in Safari after I am done watching videos or just after I quit the browser. What's going on? Is this a hardware glitch? I have the 2015 Pro MacBook with just the iGPU. Also happens sometimes when I am changing desktop pictures and I press F11 to move all of the windows out of the way, then I see the glitch.

I'm also seeing weird momentary glitches when changing the volume in Dark Mode while watching a video on YouTube. This happens maybe 5% Again, concerned that it's more than the OS.

I should also mention that I am using a scaled resolution equivalent to 1280 x 800, instead of the mid-res default.
( Last edited by And.reg; Jan 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM. )

And.reg
The Mighty
Jan 25, 2017, 10:39 PM

[...about two weeks later...]

Well, this is a hard one to catch a screenshot of, I keep missing it since it goes by so fast.

I'll try to describe it again. Occasionally, a narrow white line of pixels flashes on my display. It's like a GPU glitch or something, a narrow horizontal line of white pixels, faint but presents itself then goes away in a split second, happens every maybe 10 minutes, usually when closing a bunch of windows and/or Safari. I never saw this pattern before 10.12.2. It seems to take up the same width as my Safari window when it happens, and IF it happens.

Also happens when I browse a bunch of wallpapers in Bing and have lots of tabs open. This sounds like a memory graphics bug that Apple introduced.

What's going on?
( Last edited by And.reg; Jan 31, 2017 at 10:06 PM. )

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 14, 2017, 08:32 PM

Hey anyone see this yet or just me?

Go to your home folder in Finder, go to View > Show View Options

There's a new checkbox "Show Library folder"

No more having to use Terminal or the Finder Go menu.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2017, 08:33 AM

Hey anyone see this yet or just me?

Go to your home folder in Finder, go to View > Show View Options

There's a new checkbox "Show Library folder"

No more having to use Terminal or the Finder Go menu.
That's in El Capitan as well.

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 20, 2017, 10:37 PM

[...about two weeks later...]

Well, this is a hard one to catch a screenshot of, I keep missing it since it goes by so fast.

I'll try to describe it again. Occasionally, a narrow white line of pixels flashes on my display. It's like a GPU glitch or something, a narrow horizontal line of white pixels, faint but presents itself then goes away in a split second, happens every maybe 10 minutes, usually when closing a bunch of windows and/or Safari. I never saw this pattern before 10.12.2. It seems to take up the same width as my Safari window when it happens, and IF it happens.

Also happens when I browse a bunch of wallpapers in Bing and have lots of tabs open. This sounds like a memory graphics bug that Apple introduced.

What's going on?

THIS:

^ What causes THIS line?

I caught it on video, it happens around the 3-4 second mark:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_e...ew?usp=sharing

reader50
Administrator
Feb 20, 2017, 11:02 PM

It's confined to the Safari window, so it has to be either a Safari/Webkit rendering hiccup, or a compositing error. Which would be either a driver glitch, or a handoff glitch between integrated & discreet GPUs. If you have both GPUs. What Mac model is this?

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 21, 2017, 11:35 AM

MacBookPro11,4 with iGPU only.

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 21, 2017, 09:45 PM

Maybe I asked this before, but how do I change the default background color in Finder multi-column view? White is too bright at night. How do I make it, like, #5A5A5A?

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 23, 2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It's confined to the Safari window, so it has to be either a Safari/Webkit rendering hiccup, or a compositing error.
No actually I've caught it happening like a minute after boot, in Finder, before I launch Safari. For instance, if I'm in Finder multi-column view and I use Command-[ a few times, I've seen it happen to the Finder window as well. Safari was not opened yet since boot.

And sometimes when closing the last Finder window, a line/glitch will blink spanning the width of the display higher up than as I had depicted in the post with the video on Safari.

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2017, 09:52 AM

No actually I've caught it happening like a minute after boot, in Finder, before I launch Safari. For instance, if I'm in Finder multi-column view and I use Command-[ a few times, I've seen it happen to the Finder window as well. Safari was not opened yet since boot.

And sometimes when closing the last Finder window, a line/glitch will blink spanning the width of the display higher up than as I had depicted in the post with the video on Safari.
I'd also say that this is not a Safari problem. I have seen it mostly when closing the JDownloader application. In my case these lines do not disappear until I use a finder window to wipe it away.
Haven't seen it since a few days now though. Maybe it has been corrected in one of the latest Betas.

And.reg
The Mighty
Feb 26, 2017, 09:37 AM

That's your software. My problem is the line always goes away within a fraction of a second.

I was just worried that the line was hardware damage from when I tried to put a Speck shell on it.

New question:

How do I change the Reminders preference to not automatically "Remind Me" on some date just because the reminder that I add has a day number or day name (e.g. "on Monday")?

And.reg
The Mighty
Mar 20, 2017, 08:54 AM

And another question:

Why does Safari show me these websites even after I have cleared all of my browser data, and how do I permanently prevent them from showing up? I don't care to go to:

cuview.net
Databases

fcunsub.us
Databases

gnc.com
Databases

healthtap.com
Databases

homedepot.com
Databases

myhealthbowl.com
Databases

sugarloaf.com
Databases

thestockmarketwatch.com
Databases

tirerack.com
umainealumnicard.com

xboxonezone.com
Databases

And.reg
The Mighty
Mar 31, 2017, 06:54 PM

Why does Apple Reminders not update on my iPod Touch running iOS 10.3 when I connect it via cable to my Pro Macbook and click Sync in iTunes? It's supposed to sync with whatever was in my Reminders without me having to be on the internet if I connect via cable. Why is it NOT doing this??

P
Mar 31, 2017, 07:38 PM

I think reminders only syncs over iCloud now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

And.reg
The Mighty
Apr 16, 2017, 12:07 PM

More and more glitchy at startup...

It seems that the cursor needs increasingly longer time to register on the trackpad after I startup my Pro Macbook and log in, before I see it on the screen.

And.reg
The Mighty
Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 PM

Regarding Spotlight, I just reproduced a bug where it will not find a TextEdit document saved as rich text (.rtf) if I copy something with image data that requires the conversion to .rtfd - and then if I go back into Spotlight and search for old text content still in the document (newly-converted), Spotlight won't find the file even though I just used the same search term and did not change that part of the document.

And.reg
The Mighty
Apr 22, 2017, 06:53 PM

^ What causes THIS line?

I caught it on video, it happens around the 3-4 second mark:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_e...ew?usp=sharing
So, no one else has ever seen this? It's a daily occurrence for me, at least 5 times per hour, and more when pinch zooming/using magnification in the Dock.

And.reg
The Mighty
May 15, 2017, 02:56 PM

Update:

Just did a full erase-and-reinstall of 10.12.4, and I found that IF the GUI bug occurs, it occurs a lot less frequently than before the erase.

Apple really needs to get their 10.12.x incremental updaters to get their graphics right.

Update again: Nope, GUI bug came back in full and I have no idea why.
( Last edited by And.reg; May 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM. )

Mugge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2017, 01:21 PM

Have many weird bugs in my 10.12.4 and 10.12.5 ?

And.reg
The Mighty
Jun 11, 2017, 09:50 AM

Yes.

And I still have to wonder, with 10.13 on the horizon:

Will Apple EVER make editing photos in Preview fast again like in 10.6?

Even on a quad-core editing a 10 MP with sharpness and other controls just lags...

See: http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...a/#post4367001
( Last edited by And.reg; Jul 16, 2017 at 01:53 PM. )

And.reg
The Mighty
Jul 21, 2017, 06:40 PM

Insanely epic face palm moment from Apple.

So, a representative at Apple just replied to one of the bugs that I replied through the beta Feedback Assistant.

But it's not for the High Sierra beta.

This reply was for the 10.12 beta, from LAST YEAR They're just today getting around to my message, which I don't have a copy of what I reported anymore since I'm not even on the beta, and I can't reply to the message, because it's a donotreply address.

This really tells me that Apple engineers are extremely overswamped and I expect a rather buggy High Sierra GM release.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2017, 07:54 PM

Some things don't change. I once reported a bug in the Leopard Finder. After months of waiting, they finally replied. They were concentrating their resources on Snow Leopard, and the bug would be fixed in the upcoming SL Finder.

I was on a PPC G5 at the time. Had paid good money for it, and would remain on it for several more years.

And.reg
The Mighty
Jul 28, 2017, 05:27 PM

How do I keep the "Show Calendars List" side panel there so that each time I launch Calendars, I don't have to keep going into the View menu and selecting "Show Calendars List"?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work by:
1. Closing Calendars.app
2. Renaming ~/Library/Calendars folder to ~/Library/Calendars (backup)
3. Opening and closing Calendars.app, this creates a new Calendars folder at ~/Library/Calendars
4. Deleting the newly-created Calendars folder
5. Renaming ~/Library/Calendars (backup) folder to ~/Library/Calendars
6. Relaunching Calendars.
( Last edited by And.reg; Jul 28, 2017 at 08:43 PM. )

And.reg
The Mighty
Jul 29, 2017, 09:32 PM

Also, testing a new MacBook Pro laptop, why does the new laptop show a blue outline to maximize a window when I drag it to the top of a screen? I never saw this before on my previous MacBook Pro. And how do I turn off this option? It is annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules