Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about Ti/Lombard/Pismo Hinge

Question about Ti/Lombard/Pismo Hinge
Cellery
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 04:56 PM

My Lombard's screen hinge failed after about 14 months, severing the display cable and failing to hold the screen open. My friend's Pismo 500 is also exhibiting signs of a weak screen hinge after a year as well, though not to as much of an extent. Understandably, I'm concerned about this happening with my new Ti550.

How does everyone treat their Powerbooks? Do you open/close it frequently, or leave it open most of the time? I'm concerned that the open/close cycles would wear out the hinge, but also that the hinge holding the screen open would wear it out too. Any input/suggestions would be most welcome, thanks!

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2001, 05:29 PM

I've seen people treating their laptops like they cost 20 bucks. I've had my Pismo for 14 months and I open and close the top 4 or 5 times every day. I use one smooth action to open and close it taking about 2 seconds. The hinge is as tight as the day it was new. There's not even a hint of play in it. The thing cost me 2500 bucks and I treat it like that.

PeteWK

BigPapaPump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2001, 06:00 PM

I also open/close my Ti550 many times a day. I release and open the screen with my right hand placed on the top middle of the screen.

The Dude
Banned
Nov 23, 2001, 08:18 PM

I've had my Pismo/400 for 13 months and the hinges have a fair amount of play in them. I open and close the clamshell a few times a day, no more than 5 times.

Hopefully this is as bad as it will get, because I don't want or need a floppy LCD.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: The Dude ]

Paul S
Senior User
Nov 23, 2001, 10:15 PM

I've heard of other people having this problem. I have 2 Lombard G3s myself. They are fine. I have noticed the people with the problem carrying their laptops from the top of the screen with the machine open and running. That may have been their peoblem. Do you do this too?

<mackymac>
Nov 26, 2001, 04:44 AM

I own a 400MHz TiBook, and recently had the opportunity to try out a buddy's brand-new 667. My hinge feels noticeably looser, not to the point of being floppy, but definitely not as solid as the new machine. as a student, I open the machine about 5-6 times a day. I'm concerned my TiBook will go the way of my 400 Pismo and 333 Lombard, which both ended up with floppy screens after about a year of usage. i treat them very well, and open the computers slowly and carefully. Ah well.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 26, 2001, 09:34 AM

I believe the hinge problem in the "clamshell" model powerbooks was due to the clutch mechanism Apple used. I noticed a similar degree of play in my old Wallstreet. As for the Ti. Apple uses a completely new clutch mechanism and we will just gave to see how it fairs over time. My Ti500 which was purchased about 7 months ago shows signs of "ease" in the lid movement but I think that is just a matter of the clutch "loosening" up.

people ruin everything....

Forum Links
Forum Rules