Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Setup a new MacBook for God, and make it PERFECT

Setup a new MacBook for God, and make it PERFECT
tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 11:11 PM

Premise: God asks you to setup a new MacBook Pro for him.

Details: He wants EVERYTHING, and he wants it to work PERFECTLY. God needs his mac for a lot of things: design, coding, video, making music, office work, etc.; and he wants the best set of applications and workflow design possible. Also, he will run XP occasionally (but only if he has to).

Options: How would you do it? What software would you hook him up with? From top to bottom how would your setup function? Would you instal Ubuntu on it? How would you organize directories for document organization? What GUI modifications would you instal? How would you make it easy to maintain? How would you ensure it is easy to update? How would you keep it running perfectly? Leave no stone unturned -- this is God we are talking about, and he uses a mac.

Postscript: I know the use of God as a character in this fiction opens up lots of room for flaming, trolling, and hijacking, but I'm hoping it will be funny and add to the process of discussing the best mac setup of all time, so keep it brief!!
( Last edited by tracheopterix; Oct 28, 2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: meant MBP not MB)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 11:24 PM

So even God can't afford the MacBook Pro, eh? I guess you really do have to make more money than God to afford a decent graphics card in a Mac laptop.[/color][/quote]For the Lord thy God art a smart shopper. Thou shalt not rip off the Lord thy God.[quote][color=white]
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 27, 2006 at 11:31 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 11:31 PM

OH man, my bad. Of course he has a MacBook pro. Let me fix that...

*snap* C2D MBP 2.33GHz 3GB Ram 160GB HD

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 12:02 AM

Amen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 03:36 PM

I'll bite...

Originally Posted by tracheopterix View Post
Details: He wants EVERYTHING, and he wants it to work PERFECTLY. God needs his mac for a lot of things: design, coding, video, making music, office work, etc.; and he wants the best set of applications and workflow design possible. Also, he will run XP occasionally (but only if he has to).
Never going to happen. This sounds like a trick task an evil boss would ask a underling to perform. The correct answer is, "there is no way to set up such a system."

I'm guessing I would install the applications and hand it over to him/her.

Originally Posted by tracheopterix View Post
Options: How would you do it? What software would you hook him up with? From top to bottom how would your setup function? Would you instal Ubuntu on it? How would you organize directories for document organization? What GUI modifications would you instal? How would you make it easy to maintain? How would you ensure it is easy to update? How would you keep it running perfectly? Leave no stone unturned -- this is God we are talking about, and he uses a mac.
I'm not going to list the applications because that's just too ambiguous. We have NO IDEA what he/she is going to use. Video for example... are we talking iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut? There are simply too many variables.

I wouldn't install Ubuntu (you have OS X). I wouldn't install Windows (you have OS X). If you need Windows, install boot camp and XP.

I wouldn't reorganize directories. Applications go in the applications folder, documents go in the documents folder (I guess I would create a folder for every application that he would be using in the documents folder. I would use the structure of OS X.

I wouldn't install ANY GUI modifications.

OS X is already easy to maintain. No need to do anything more.

OS X is already easy to update. No need to do anything more.

There is NO WAY to keep any computer working perfectly.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 10:18 PM

I'd install:

1) Flip4Mac
2) RealPlayer
3) VLC
4) Google Earth
5) StuffIt 9.0.2
Skype and Office if He needs them

Set:
Exposé Application Windows: Upper left
Exposé All Windows: Upper right
Exposé Desktop: Lower right

Two-finger right-click: on

Install:
2GB PC5300 SO-DIMM

Run:
Apple Hardware Test
Software Update

And send Him on His way.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 10:30 PM

someone make a funny picture of God with a MBP!

my CS2 trial expired...

adam

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 10:54 PM

Psh. God doesn't need anything but a command line. He's obviously a Unix wizard.

dndog
Oct 29, 2006, 11:34 PM

Does god prefer the glossy or matte screen?
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 01:53 AM

God uses flash for every presentation he does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules