Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendation for Tray-less external port-multiplier enclosure??

Recommendation for Tray-less external port-multiplier enclosure??
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 03:02 AM

I was hoping that someone could provide a reference for a site that sells (or a company that makes) a 'tray-less' eSATA Serial ATA port-multiplier enclosure with 3, 4, or 5 bays?

I am essentially looking for an enclosure just like this one, except one that's tray-less and won't require a screwdriver to mount/unmount the drives from a hot-swappable tray every time I want to add/remove/change one...

This is something I have been searching for for a really long time without any success, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

OreoCookie
Mar 7, 2008, 05:29 AM

Try Wiebetech's RTX series. They're tray-free.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 04:21 PM

I use and very much like a CFI 8-Bay Terratower, but it is a trayed solution. The four screws take 60 seconds to put in, but like you I was originally looking for a trayless solution. The hitch was needing a port multiplier e-sata interface due to limitations of my PCI-X equipped Powermac Digital Audio. I never could find a multi-lane host card that would work.

Along the way I also found and was very interested in the trayless solutions...

8-Bay SATA II Hot-Swap Dual-MultiLane Enclosure with SATA II QuickSwap Racks

They also have a five bay solution Hardware RAID SATA II Port Multiplier 5-Bay Removable Rack QickSwap System Sil4726

Personally, I'd get as many bays as you can afford. The closter to 5 drives you have in RAID5, the more efficient your storage capacity.
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Mar 7, 2008 at 05:38 PM. )

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Try Wiebetech's RTX series. They're tray-free.
Nice! Thanks for the link!

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose you have might know what the main differences (in terms of performance) one could expect when comparing the Port-Multiplier version of this enclosure, compared to the JBOD version?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 10:19 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules