Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Turn Antivirus OFF when updating or installing Boot Camp

Turn Antivirus OFF when updating or installing Boot Camp
Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 04:22 PM

This might be obvious, but I just wasted a few hours because I failed to turn off MaCafee before installing the BootCamp update. The machine just kept hanging in the middle of the install and terminating the install abnormally set up a whole chain of installer failure events requiring me to restore my entire Windows partition from a backup.

It was all because MaCafee was blocking something in the Boot Camp installer.

Turning off MaCafee antivirus allowed the update to install correctly.

It's something so simple, but can cost a LOT of time.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2008, 05:35 PM

It's so obvious I'm sure a lot of people have struck themselves in the head for not thinking of it until AFTER going through the kind of problems you have. It's good to be reminded of this. It would have been good if McAffee had actually TOLD you that "Boot Camp Update is trying to..." But then, they're McAffee...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2008, 08:48 PM

Stupid anti-virus software, misses viruses and "catches" user-initiated updates. LOLZ.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2008, 08:57 PM

We did both mention that it was McAffee, right?

I've never liked their AV stuff; it's always been way too invasive and way too clunky to configure or adjust. At least Norton/Symantec will tell you "Program 'BlahBlah' is attempting to write to your hard drive" or something similar. Having a hint is way better than just sitting there wondering.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 01:57 AM

Yep. McAfee just silently made the process mysteriously hang. Some sort of notification would have made things a lot better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules