Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2001FP remote control

2001FP remote control
cb2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 09:05 PM

I want to put a Mac Mini in the living room, and was thinking of using a Dell 2001FP as a monitor+TV. Instead of going the Elgato way, I just thought it would be easier if I connect the Mini using DVI and TV from my VCR out as the 2001FP takes in S-Video/Composite. Audio goes to receiver (might invest in a M audio Transit), and bluetooth mouse and keyboard would let me control the mini.

The only problem I see, is switching between TV and Mini requires me to leave the couch go to the TV and hit the switch input button on the 2001FP. Is there a way to get a remote control functionality on the 2001FP, either through the Mini or otherwise?

Failing that I will have to resort to an old extendable radio antenna to poke the switch from afar

-cb

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cb2001
Failing that I will have to resort to an old extendable radio antenna to poke the switch from afar
That's your only option. The 2001FP has no remote control ability. I have two of them on my PC.

cb2001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 01:49 PM

Cadaver,

Is there anyway of affecting a remote like ability from the PC/Mac using the USB port on the monitor? Or is the USB port a simple hub.

-cb

ender2002
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 05:08 PM

is there ANY way to affect the change of input via the computer itself (software). if so, then you can get a simple USB wireless remote.

itguy05
Forum Regular
May 22, 2005, 08:04 PM

Probably not because it wasn't designed as a TV/Monitor. I think Sony, Viewsonic, and Sharp make some that do this. They are designed as TV's and monitors and can do the switching from the remote control.

And knowing Dell and how they de-content their stuff I'd doubt there is any sort of hacking that will get this to work.

In short, if you want quality, don't shop at Dell. Everything Dell does is on the cheap and stripped down, EVERYTHING!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by cb2001
Cadaver,

Is there anyway of affecting a remote like ability from the PC/Mac using the USB port on the monitor? Or is the USB port a simple hub.

-cb
Just a hub. Nothing more.

Link
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 04:15 AM

You could always make some sorta IR controller to replace the button on front of the monitor That'd be tricky, but possible.
Aloha

cb2001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Link
You could always make some sorta IR controller to replace the button on front of the monitor That'd be tricky, but possible.
Yeah, the Lego Robotics option !! I am actually trying to see if I can hack up a mechanical device controlled by RF or IR to do this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules