Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 10)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
You sure you're not powering the block next to the track instead of under? I'll test tonight.
I'm not gonna pretend I'm sure of anything. What I feel 99% confident of was I tried controlling a powered rail with a method I used previously and it was non-responsive in several configurations.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Blaze, I think my system is too slow for water elevators. By the time I see I'm at the top I've fallen down. Even tried swimming with no boat. And now I'm stuck midway up and can't move in any direction. When you log on tonight, can you beam me somewhere else? Thanks!
My MacBook struggles for 10 fps on the server, but for some reason when I toggled the Open GL option I went up to a blazing 15 fps with the integrated graphics card.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2011, 11:49 AM

Sure. You'll have to be logged in. As Sek and Dakar found out last night I can run commands from the console without being logged in. I'm pondering what to do to make that more visitor "friendly." I really need to get cracking and add destination switching to my track network.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2011, 12:08 PM

Will do.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2011, 01:08 PM

The problem with your water elevator was that everytime I placed a boat it turned black and ended up half in the wall. These blackened boats could not be destroyed and impeded any attempt at using a new boat. I ended up swimming straight up and poking my head out for air at intervals.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2011, 02:15 PM

If you click in the water then you're placing it on the block in the back wall since you can't focus on the water. When i learned this is was in my first water elevator and I had the ladder I used to build it. This one I build without the ladder. There's probably special handling for placing boats when your clicking air but the elevator is too narrow. What happens if you try to place a boat above you in th air?... I place it on the edge of the pool and push it in.

I don't see the logic behind the boats being damaged with use beyond annoyance. c'est la vi.

andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2011, 10:18 AM

When the voice of God (ie, The Server) tells you to go to work, you best do it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 10:23 AM

*stretch*

Well, as long as I don't get sleepy around 8 tonight, I'm think I'm taking the night off. Between setting up the new cart station, troubleshooting it with Blaze, and mining for Gold on my lower levels, I'm pretty spent. I could use a night off not worry about stuff, like setting up a reciprocal station on my end...

(Of course that thought will bounce around my head all day)

Oh god, it's already started... I already had an outline of a Crossroads (that's my nickname for the physical location where my North entrance, the stairs to the surface near Bogues/Andi and the tunnel to Andi/JB meet) rail system that connects to sek's and I feel one that connects to my place from JBs stirring...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2011, 01:31 PM

Couldn't resist being the voice from beyond.

Was actually checking to see if Sek was complaining about the door to the deeps being locked yet. Of course he could just bash through the wall. I haven't done anything like line it with lava.

Yet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh god, it's already started... I already had an outline of a Crossroads (that's my nickname for the physical location where my North entrance, the stairs to the surface near Bogues/Andi and the tunnel to Andi/JB meet) rail system that connects to sek's and I feel one that connects to my place from JBs stirring...
Night off, smight off. Go for it. I'll be on tonight, but not until 10:00 CST. Wednesdays are an all-day affair.

andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2011, 03:35 PM

I'm thinking I will waste less glass if I get some sleep. Then again, my new garden isn't complete yet... or my library...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 03:36 PM

I'll be on, my plans for tonight got cancelled.

JB, I plan on getting off by 12 at the latest, so it won't matter much to you anyway.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 03:59 PM

Hopefully I'll complete my third tower bridge after the rest of you have called it a night. I'm getting tired of working on my structure and not having time to add niceties. My place needs some color.

Andi, you mind if I create a cobblestone path/road almost to your place? I need some sort of connection. I've been a bit of an isolationist so far (except for the times when I creep into your homes and sleep on your beds -- I'm not telling whose). I suppose I should finally mine out a bit more space and complete a rail to the rest of the tunnel system also. I've stockpiled a wealth of iron.

andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2011, 04:18 PM

Nope, a road is good. It can end around Bogues's waterfall/bridge? If that's ok with him.

I do have plans for the hill behind me, a staircase curving up to the sand mountain. Let's see what Dakar's ideas for a railway are so we can sync up if needed. I've just begun to think about railway.

This game, you are never done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 04:20 PM

Blaze will have to teach me about rail switches. If I can create one that selects whether I want to to andi or JBs, that will be a freakin' coup.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 04:21 PM

Everything I've looked up on rail switches seems like I need to sit down and try to wrap my head around it for a half hour or so. I need to find some video tutorials.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2011, 04:45 PM

I've been pondering how to do a rail switch system for some time. Most use a switching system and then a pair of tracks to each destination or a loop. Everything I have now is single point to point tracks that cant handle traffic in both directions simultaneously. The five of you are close enough that either if these would work. Theres no way I'm laying a second line of track all the way to the pyramid. My current ruminations involve a redstone wire signaling system only with the propagation delay its probably gonna require large redstone circuitry.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 04:49 PM

The design I have in mine will leave a control switch on my side. That means andi and JB will have to use the track blind. Unless there's a way to have multiple (wooden) switches flip in parallel so up is always one destination and down is always the other.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2011, 05:13 PM

You'd need to use a button and then a latch per destination to hold the track in position till the cart leaves. You can't tie switches together or what I want to know, propagate the value of one button 100 blocks to another.

Thats relatively easy, its preventing mid track collisions thats got me. Wait, redstone signals won't propagate across unloaded chunks so thats out. Looks like it's double tracks.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Apr 27, 2011 at 05:20 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 05:31 PM

Eh, I can live with some double tracks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:32 PM

Next up on the Fatty Destruction Tour:

8 blocks of TNT at once, going to crawl deep into the caves to set this one off. If 4 at a time is any indication of power then 8 at once should produce a decent hole, hehe.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2011, 05:44 PM

When the first goes off the others are thrown away in the various directions. The one on top has a tendency to fall to the floor before detonating.

I tried using this and sand as a spacer but it didn't work. Its better to drop them off an overhang if you want to drill down. (place them on the side or bottom of a block then trigger them.)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 05:49 PM

sek, we should check if any of the areas in my cavern have a dead end in gold/diamond country worth prospecting.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:59 PM

True that, i just want to make sure I am not near anyone's basements, this will be a large blast.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 06:00 PM

We'll try it on a weekend or something. God knows we'll have to do some scouting.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2011, 11:34 PM

I ran across a dungeon an came up with a good way of clearing out the mobs and lighting it up to disable the spawner. Tunnel over the opening and poor lava in it, just not to close or it will burn the chests too. Its an skeleton spawner but with the spawner I have a more efficient supply of arrows. It may be used in a booby trap though.

With a lucky chunk rendering error here's an "aerial" view of my spawner/grinder. Half of the dark room is missing, but you can see the spiders in it, and the passive mob room above it, with what looks like unhappy cows, at the far end. Each grass rectangle you see is 14x6. By standing out at that end the bulk of the surface above is water so the spawn rate isn't affected my nightfall. Unfortunately the changes in 1.5 means the output of the passive section is very low. But I don't need the drops badly enough to expand it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 12:41 AM

I've got loads and loads of gunpowder...I'm just sayin'...

[EDIT] Apparently I don't? Hrrmmm...must've remembered incorrectly.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Apr 28, 2011 at 06:39 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 06:38 AM

What could happen at 5:30 AM to make a student pastor nearly let loose with a line of expletives that would make Scorsese blush?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2011, 07:52 AM

He was trying to punish you for your vanity?

If you want the gunpowder you need to kill them not let them explode.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2011, 08:21 AM

yike.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 28, 2011 at 08:47 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What could happen at 5:30 AM to make a student pastor nearly let loose with a line of expletives that would make Scorsese blush?
A.I.'ed griefing?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2011, 10:41 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 11:59 AM

Blaze with the burn.

Jawbone my last Creeper encounter also wrecked a corner of my bedroom under construction. SOmething interesting I read on the wiki:

Although creepers cannot see through walls like spiders, many players mistake them to be able to see through walls. Because of their traffic-map like ability, they appear to path near your base, or wherever you are the most. Consequently, they are hard to avoid, and mostly blow up what you work on the most first.
To me that really doesn't explain how a creepr who saw me at my South entrance would suddenly be waiting for me at my West Entrance 10 seconds later, but whatever.

Fun fact, the Washington Monument is taller the entire world of Minecraft by a third.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
He was trying to punish you for your vanity?

If you want the gunpowder you need to kill them not let them explode.
Oh, no, I was running back home after having gone much, much further down the coast than I anticipated. I turned the corner, came face to face with a creeper next to my window, and ran as fast as I could towards the water.

...just not fast enough.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Blaze with the burn.

Jawbone my last Creeper encounter also wrecked a corner of my bedroom under construction. SOmething interesting I read on the wiki:

To me that really doesn't explain how a creepr who saw me at my South entrance would suddenly be waiting for me at my West Entrance 10 seconds later, but whatever.
I'm not entirely convinced that they're not programmed to seek out your place. Every freaking time that nightfall hits, I can look out my window and watch them start appearing. They're drawn to my bedroom and back door.

Fun fact, the Washington Monument is taller the entire world of Minecraft by a third.
No kidding...

Well, that sucks. I wonder how far I am from hitting the "top." I've got about a dozen more blocks to go before I'm finished.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 02:45 PM

That counts starting from bedrock, in case that's unclear.

Eh, you're definitely closer than most, but unless the clouds look like they're getting closer I figure you've got some distance yet.

The very top of my tower is exactly half-way to the sky ceiling. I imagine you'll be closer to 3/4ths when done.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 02:54 PM

Yeah, upon further inspection, I've got a ton of distance remaining.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 05:10 PM

I'm going pretty nuts with TNT creation. Been spending alot of AFK time in blaze's grinder.

I think I may need to travel to a new location for blasting, I'd hate to punch into anyone else's work at this point.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 11:56 PM

So i was checking out your place Dakar, and I saw a small brick structure outside the south entrance and decided to check it out.

The first creeper just blew a hole in the ground, but the second one got me as i was heading back inside. Didn't bust the door or any fancy stone slabs, but punched into the floor below. I patched it up quick with dirt but you'll probably need to re-stone a corner.

Oops!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 10:14 AM

Other reasons I hate creepers: Visiting other people's places you start gambling both with your life and the other persons stuff. Which is why I usually take my tunnels and never go outside people's places.

sek: SOunds like you got nailed in the same spot I got nailed the night before. Hopefully no purple wool or brick was harmed.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 10:52 AM

Sek I don't know if you noticed but when we were looking for a spot for the TNT, I was constantly looking around with bow in hand. Your island should be 80% safe now, it's the bridges and the unlit tops of trees were they could spawn or wander in.

I think I solved the lighting issue in my courtyard, haven't had any hostiles in there for days.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 11:23 AM

Only stone and dirt were harmed, I was more near the brick than your fruity bedroom.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 11:40 AM

The brick is part of my bedroom, genius.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 12:21 PM

The brick was unharmed, jerkass.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2011, 12:21 PM

Do we have to separate you two?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 12:28 PM

Says the creeper magnet.
(and now I've drug you in too)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 01:58 PM

I'm terrified of getting near all of your places. I'm positive that some creeper is going to destroy a wall next to one of your storage chests or furnaces that are full of freshly-smelted gold.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 02:03 PM

Well only my landscape would take the hit, my house is Obsidian, and therefore creeper-proof*

*Except for doors, windows, pressure plates, note blocks, etc....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 02:03 PM

Also...weird stuff from last night:

andi without a bottom half:

sek as a ghost:

I didn't manage to capture Blaze being completely invisible for a bit (for obvious reasons). I had no idea he was even in andi's mine until he logged out and then back in.

As I approached the bottom of my stairs into the mine below, I noticed a massive hole ahead and to the right, which just looked like a huge room that someone mined out but didn't light with torches...

When I approached the edge and looked up, I could see lights, and even saw one of you guys moving around.

You'll need to blow this picture up to see it.

Then I looked down...

This game gets really weird at times. At first I thought that it was a series of massive holes that were formed by y'all's TNT adventure, then realized it was far too large. Then blocks began reappearing from the darkness, especially when I would put a new torch on the ground beside the hole to the abyss.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well only my landscape would take the hit, my house is Obsidian, and therefore creeper-proof*

*Except for doors, windows, pressure plates, note blocks, etc....
You know you'd still be irritated.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2011, 02:14 PM

I feel somewhat like the laziest little pig, who built their house of sandstone, er, straw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules