Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 11)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 02:24 PM

Nahhhhh. It distinguishes it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 02:25 PM

Sandstone looks good, though. Its a shame the blast durability is dangerously low.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 02:40 PM

Definitely looks good. My stone/glass is starting too look very, very plain (almost corporate), while andi's sand castle has some personality and better color. The rest of you guys have a unique aspect to all of your buildings too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 03:27 PM

At first I thought that it was a series of massive holes that were formed by y'all's TNT adventure, then realized it was far too large. Then blocks began reappearing from the darkness, especially when I would put a new torch on the ground beside the hole to the abyss.
This is a known SMP chuck rendering error like the one in my last spawner picture. Its amusing to watch someone ride a minecart across open space. Placing torches causes it to redraw and also fixed the invisible leaves bug.

My stone/glass is starting too look very, very plain (almost corporate)
But its the only one. Most of the others aren't so consistent in their design.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 03:41 PM

Your castle is consistent, but looks fantastic.

No worries, I'll fix mine in time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 03:52 PM

I am not a fan of symmetry in general when it comes to buildings. I like your structure Jawbone, but it needs some kind of face details to provide visual separation between the levels.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Definitely looks good. My stone/glass is starting too look very, very plain (almost corporate)
Just your conservative side seeping through...

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
But its the only one. Most of the others aren't so consistent in their design.
*ahem*

Your castle is consistent, but looks fantastic.
Its unfortunate there's no smooth stone stairs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I am not a fan of symmetry in general when it comes to buildings. I like your structure Jawbone, but it needs some kind of face details to provide visual separation between the levels.
Bingo. Also, the glass plays a part in deemphasizing the breaks between levels. I love being able to see out of most of the building, but there's just no personality in it thus far. I'm definitely going to be making some adjustments once I'm done with the top (need about 300 more stone blocks).

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Just your conservative side seeping through...
Ha!

*ahem*
Yes, he's talking about you.

Your love for the smooth stone stairs is as readily apparent as mine for glass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 04:47 PM

You were talking about his castle being consistent, but the lack of smooth stone stairs breaks the continuity.

Also, I use smooth stone slabs.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 04:50 PM

*ahem*
Oh? mister wood + stone + wool + brick in his facade. At least with bogues the wood is plainly decking. Levels -1 and below are but the logic of your original stairs still evades me.

My stone/glass is starting too look very, very plain (almost corporate)
Seemed very modern to me. I was expecting to see the AC ducts exposed in the high ceiling. Don't worry to much you'll spend 70% of your time in the house crafting. Unless you replace everything block by block.

I could switch to half stones but then the lengths double and it really looks disproportional.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 05:22 PM

You were talking about his castle being consistent, but the lack of smooth stone stairs breaks the continuity.
His is consistent, but the design isn't boring like mine.

Also, I use smooth stone slabs.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Seemed very modern to me. I was expecting to see the AC ducts exposed in the high ceiling. Don't worry to much you'll spend 70% of your time in the house crafting. Unless you replace everything block by block.
I'm not going to replace everything. Although the general structure will remain, I will be replacing some blocks with some fancier materials. I've started checkering the base-level bedroom floor with obsidian, for instance.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2011, 05:32 PM

Excellent. Maybe pepper some obsidian in the facade and you'll go from impressive modern building to ominous mysterious structure.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

You know you're playing too much minecraft when:

While getting dinner ready, your 3-year-old sits waiting at the table. Suddenly you hear her whisper, "I think there's a creeper in your house..."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

While getting dinner ready, your 3-year-old sits waiting at the table. Suddenly you hear her whisper, "I think there's a creeper in your house..."

That's just a little bit sad.

Last night I showed my youth group our little world, and after about five minutes, they all started backing away slowly. One said, "I feel so sorry for you."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

sek being ominous:

Yep, ready.

The aftermath...

I don't care what anyone says -- these guys know where my bedroom is.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 02:03 AM

After this mega-AFK session I will be setting up a 500+ TNT explosion for your viewing pleasure.

My goal is to crash the server!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 02:34 AM

Yeeeeeeah, buddy. You need a scheduled time for that.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 08:11 AM

Hah hah hah. See this, this is my not funny face.
If you want to blow up the world do it in ssp.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 12:21 PM

500 is a bit optimistic, ill start at 250.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 12:52 PM

Just say it's 250, but actually go with 500.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 1, 2011, 02:51 PM

Heh, don't log on a saturday night, hear that cool stuff went down for a change.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 01:00 PM

Oh? mister wood + stone + wool + brick in his facade.
Well, the wood is gone. As for the wool, who can even tell from anywhere close than right next to it.

Levels -1 and below are but the logic of your original stairs still evades me.
I'm not sure what you mean.

I could switch to half stones but then the lengths double and it really looks disproportional.
That wasn't a complaint, that was a lament. It's either wood or cobblestone for efficient stairs.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

It'd be better if she was all like "Thasssssss a niccccce dinnerrrrrr you got therrrrrrrrrrrre."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 01:55 PM

So I wasn't on much this weekend, but since Bogues' brother got on and move onto the island I recommended for Jawbone, I quickly put up a bridge. Not completely sold on it (when am I ever), but it does cut a nice new line in my skyline.

Also, its strange, but I have 8+ stacks of iron sitting unused, but I'm seriously surviving on barely keeping two stacks of coal at all times, and I've stopped smelting iron ore because it's pointless.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 03:23 PM

I've cut down/replanted the trees behind my Exxonâ„¢ Corporate Building probably ten times to replenish charcoal. I never worry about coal anymore. Coal found in mining just becomes torchlight.

Also, I started work on an underwater tunnel connected to my basement, screwed up, viewed several tutorials, and am now ready to get back to work. I'm hoping to craft an open-water observatory connected via tunnel. Would be nice to connect to some of these other underground systems, but I'll wait for volunteers. It is tedious work, after all.

Lastly, sheep, pigs, and cattle have apparently stopped spawning behind the ECB. I have trees, grass, water...what's the deal?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 03:28 PM

I've cut down/replanted the trees behind my Exxonâ„¢ Corporate Building probably ten times to replenish charcoal. I never worry about coal anymore. Coal found in mining just becomes torchlight.
That's where I was when I started, (Tree farm!) but after carving up the lower floors I was way in the surplus on coal. After the past few projects the balance has finally tipped the other way again.

Also, I started work on an underwater tunnel connected to my basement, screwed up, viewed several tutorials, and am now ready to get back to work. I'm hoping to craft an open-water observatory connected via tunnel. Would be nice to connect to some of these other underground systems, but I'll wait for volunteers. It is tedious work, after all.
I don't understand. You're connected to us already, and there's a shit ton of ground and zero water between us. Where are you going?

Lastly, sheep, pigs, and cattle have apparently stopped spawning behind the ECB. I have trees, grass, water...what's the deal?
Mob spawning adjustments in 1.5 I'll just say I'll be a little surprised if it doesn't get tweaked eventually.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 03:50 PM

That's where I was when I started, (Tree farm!) but after carving up the lower floors I was way in the surplus on coal. After the past few projects the balance has finally tipped the other way again.
Ah, I thought your tree farm was solely aesthetic.

I don't understand. You're connected to us already, and there's a shit ton of ground and zero water between us. Where are you going?
Ha...you'll see. It'll make sense when you see it.

Mob spawning adjustments in 1.5 I'll just say I'll be a little surprised if it doesn't get tweaked eventually.
Saw on Notch's Twitter today that he doesn't expect 1.6 to be out any time soon (more or less). Guess I'll have to find my ham in a distant land.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 03:54 PM

Ah, I thought your tree farm was solely aesthetic.
My outside trees are aesthetic. My Forest Biome trees get cut down with some regularity. They just get immediately replanted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 04:43 PM

Feeling the itch to explore caves I ventured to an old connection that Blaze and I discovered through the ceiling of my cavern.

Massive cave system, gold in the open (12+) lots of lava pools, 5 diamond, and more to be discovered. I'll save the rest for tonight and anyone who wants to spelunk with me.

Oh yeah, I also almost died on two separate trips due to tons of zombies and creepers. At one point I was huddled in a corner while creepers dropped from the ceiling above me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 04:50 PM

Your cavern is such a large and sprawling area we practically need a map to know what you're talking about.

Much like me and my 16 levels of Lair.

Edit: By the way, you have no idea how much I enjoyed that you once referred to a meeting spot at my place by its appropriate name, "The Hub".

(Also, I'll go spelunking. I could use the coal and gold)

Edit 2: Slight nitpick, but I've been using stone swords lately, because the game has some poor logic. If I hit wheat with my sword it counts as a use (maybe even two). I believe it works that way for most of the tools. But if were to hit it with a torch, or a sapling, that would never run out. Which is preposterous.

andi*pandi
May 2, 2011, 06:05 PM

I planted a tree at the bottom of the mine to see what would happen.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 2, 2011, 06:35 PM

I decided last night while brushing my teeth that I'm gonna glass over the hole in the ocean I made. Just a question of 1 or 2 below the surface.

For underground trees, I find a 7x(6+n)x8 room with a n long strip of saplings down the middle works well. Every time I log in it's 80% trees and there is a surpluss of saplings every generation.

I'm wondering when link is going to find the crater in his back yard.

Jawbone my grid mine extends 60 or 70m out into the water between us, but it's down u the bottom 1/4 of the map and only 1/3 of the way across.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 01:18 AM

I want to take a look, blaze.

Things I learned today:

1. Mining with others is enjoyable, you get a ton done in little time, and watching them divvy up the loot is bizarre.

2. Link built a really big place, really quickly.

3. Build Sherwood Forest...

4. Cut down Sherwood Forest...

5. I used incredibly poor judgment when creating my "observation deck." I'm going to have to re-think this one...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 11:29 AM

Things I learned today:

1. Mining with others is enjoyable, you get a ton done in little time, and watching them divvy up the loot is bizarre.

That was far more successful than i could have imagined, though i still think we beat the odds. Also, I'm real ****in' lucky I decided to mosey over when I heard you guys were exploring, and I actually found you.

Added bonus: Since we were straight up mining, no need for armor.

3. Build Sherwood Forest...

4. Cut down Sherwood Forest...

Well, I certainly underestimated the scale to which you worked. Did you replant it again?

I utilized my Forest Biome for wood yesterday so I could manufacture some reserve charcoal for torches. The irony being after last night, I'm set on coal again for a while (got two maybe even three stacks to add to the dwindling reserves).

5. I used incredibly poor judgment when creating my "observation deck." I'm going to have to re-think this one...

What do you mean?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 11:54 AM

That was far more successful than i could have imagined, though i still think we beat the odds. Also, I'm real ****in' lucky I decided to mosey over when I heard you guys were exploring, and I actually found you.

Added bonus: Since we were straight up mining, no need for armor.
Speak for yourself. I was so close to dying, I lost a good ten minutes making my way back up to my ground floor and cooking up some pork.

Well, I certainly underestimated the scale to which you worked. Did you replant it again?
I was gathering my saplings to replant, then abandoned those to join the crew in the little expedition.

I utilized my Forest Biome for wood yesterday so I could manufacture some reserve charcoal for torches. The irony being after last night, I'm set on coal again for a while (got two maybe even three stacks to add to the dwindling reserves).
One really good mine a week can pretty much take care of you, huh? Charcoal is just so easily replenished, even if I stay above ground for a while.

Potato/potato, I guess (whoops...that doesn't work in text).

What do you mean?
Eh...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 11:55 AM

Also, I think you just see crosses when you look at all my structures. You must be coming around to the whole God idea. Good for you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 12:01 PM

Speak for yourself. I was so close to dying, I lost a good ten minutes making my way back up to my ground floor and cooking up some pork.
Didn't you idiots keep going into explored mines?

One really good mine a week can pretty much take care of you, huh? Charcoal is just so easily replenished, even if I stay above ground for a while.
I disagree with all of this, but it's not even worth clarifying.

Eh...
Looks more like that than a wang, if that's what you're implying.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 12:32 PM

I though you meant it was lacking in the railing department. Dirtier minds than I, I guess. Laminar's sand sculpture is still there though.

Didn't you idiots keep going into explored mines?
explored or unexplored? I'm not seeing how you get hurt in an explored cave or any mine except Sek's chronically dark mines. (This said by the guy who died from lava twice is his mine 2 days ago. The second time was intentional)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 12:35 PM

The term I should have used was "Discovered". They kept hitting caverns that already had torches. The rest... well you already explained it. Not to mention slimes spawning is impossible to cock block after a certain depth.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 02:08 PM

My particular cavern that I already had some torches in was only half-discovered. I ran into several skeletons there.

Also, some skeletons spawned along with the slimers in my main mine, and I'm not sure why. That's never happened before. Looks like I might have some untorched areas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 02:59 PM

After most people were off link said he had found some Obsidian-laced caves he suspected were mine.

Turns out it was that lava corridor area you and I discovered a couple of weeks back, Dakar. I let him know that all the Diamond was most likely gone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
After most people were off link said he had found some Obsidian-laced caves he suspected were mine.

Turns out it was that lava corridor area you and I discovered a couple of weeks back, Dakar. I let him know that all the Diamond was most likely gone.
Under the Creeper totem. Makes sense.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2011, 03:02 PM

Yeah but i figured ill keep the obsidian so i can make the tile floor for my Temple Of Time, and i think its about time to start on just that!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 03:07 PM

I wish there was an Obsidian-harvesting bot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:09 PM

I'd love to build some Obsidian stuff, but I have better (or at least, less tedious) uses for my time.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2011, 03:11 PM

Well i don't want to use black wool cause A. its not an easy find all the time. And B. the black wool will burn if anyone accidentally lights it on fire its all gone

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alex901 View Post
Well i don't want to use black wool cause A. its not an easy find all the time. And B. the black wool will burn if anyone accidentally lights it on fire its all gone
No shit. I was working on a mural for my desert biome, placed like 40 blocks of light blue wool, left, came back and it was gone. I can only assume some lava I had in the room (sealed) somehow got to it, though after seeing sek's place I practically hoped he had stolen it.

The new mob spawning made the loss of cotton all the more painful.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 03:15 PM

I burned most of my building to the ground a few weeks back.

Lost 50+ wool....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:16 PM

This thread is now about stuff you have lost.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 03:28 PM

Between diamond tools (not worn out, lost) and actual diamond lost I've probably flushed about 20 down the drain.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:30 PM

You've lost more diamond than I have ever had.

Of course, you've also mined a shit ton.

Edit: Cotton is probably the most that I've legitimately lost, but I've wasted tons of glass and slightly less smooth stone (made) due to mistakes and redesigns.

Forum Links
Forum Rules