Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 13)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 04:36 PM

No doubt that'd be better and easier, but Jawbone seemed set on some type of underwater crossing, so why not enlist him to work on something we'll all utilize?

I'm more than willing to build an elevated bridge that meets sek's approval.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 04:44 PM

Submerging the railway seems like way to much work. Though under the ocean would be pretty freaking sweet.

Right now I'm more interested in a connection back and forth, since there are a lot of resources I'd like to switch over, namely wool and dyes. So the initial effort will be to link home base with the lodge, after that, however, I am more than willing to let Jawbone slave away submerging a section of the track.

The second wing being constructed, that is, the South Wing, is the ski lift area where the rail will end up. An East Wing will be constructed last, and will most likely be a common area for use of Chests/Furnaces/Crafting tables and perhaps the start of a giant pit mine. Where my current work space is now is only temporary.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Right now I'm more interested in a connection back and forth, since there are a lot of resources I'd like to switch over, namely wool and dyes.
Leaving neighbor?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 05:16 PM

Not leaving, just need more decorations. Like I said, I've been pining for a large scale building project and I think this qualifies. I still hold a special place for my Obsidian Water Fortress, and plan on returning in the future.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 05:20 PM

Oh, okay.

"Hey guys, party at sek's old place this weekend!"

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 05:56 PM

It's all fun and games until someone trips into a cactus.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 06:16 PM

It's track-laying time, and that means a trip back to home base.

I have a shopping list of items that will most likely fill my entire inventory. All I'm heading back with is the clock, sword, and bow + arrows.

The track bed will be cobblestone, simply because I don't believe any other material will be remotely feasible to use in such massive quantities. Focusing on the lodge side for now, until some of you guys sing on and discuss what's to be done for the water passage.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 02:51 AM

Due to outstanding luck, the track continued on its straight path until it arrived in my back yard. That's right, 1024 rails long and it ends up pretty much exactly where I wanted it, not friggin bad. One small bend in front of my house, and then straight down into my basement garden.

First booster brings me about 2/3 of the way towards my house. From my house, powered rail brings me past bogues slightly before slowing down. I figure two more 'booster houses" should complete the track nicely.

Final tally is a little north of 8 full stacks of iron used in rail making. No iron remains at my Main House, only 1 1/2 stacks at the Lodge, one of which Dakar gave me today. I think I have enough rail left over for the two booster houses.

obligatory image

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2011, 09:09 AM

Yeah i have prom tonight but i decided to stay up with Sek and finish up the SUPER long bridge and support struts! I think i used about 7 or 8 stacks, maybe more to finish it (that includes support struts). I have to admit that the railway track is pretty impressive!
NEWS FLASH** Reports claim that a new resort is being built!
The McBlobicus company seems to have headed out of its direction of underground architecture! To create a McBlobicus resort! Only two rooms left so hurry!

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2011, 12:29 PM

Mc.Blobicus resort now includes its own, Mc.Blobicus Mine!

Even has cabins for memebers of the Mc.Blobicus Resort!

Start mining today!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 12:58 PM

Did you build that with wool or snow? I'm afraid to think what a creeper will do to it. I'll probably be on around 9 and i'll add / fix the boosters. Unfortunately passing lines like trains use wouldn't work because theres no way to synchronize the carts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2011, 01:12 PM

Heh, I was excited byt he prospects of what a creeper could do to that thing.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2011, 01:55 PM

Yeah it is made out of snow but i brought back some of my obsidian and i will eventually replace it with obsidian, the structure isnt big its mainly underground.

andi*pandi
May 6, 2011, 02:04 PM

leave the snow, line it with obsidian. Reverse oreo igloo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 02:30 PM

I might be on later tonight, but either way I'm done in large part with the building phase, going to focus on prettying up the exterior. The guest lodging wing is woefully boring on the outside so I need to spruce that up.

Blaze. I marked where the first booster house should go on My Main House side with a small bump-out of cobble and torches. From the Lodge side a quick ride down the rail will let you know where the other booster house needs to be. I think with those two in place the entire line will be quick and efficient. I'd offer you gold or something for your troubles, but you already have so much I dunno if it would be even worth it. Either way, 10 gold is all yours for completing these cart boosters and linking the far-flung areas.

Link, as long as that house gets no bigger I am ok with it, but that is the only structure I want in front of my lodge. The view must remain un-tainted, in fact, if it was all snow on the outside that would be great. Where it turns to forest biome, behind the lodge, and anywhere along the track are completely up for grabs for anyone. Just as long as the view from the Master/Guest suites, and my Presidential Suite remains majestic and natural.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 02:31 PM

If you notice the valley entrance in below the lodge is screened from view above by the slope of the hill.
I would move the entrance to the side opposite the lodge. Probably make it look more like a small hill.

Depending on how far the booster at your house takes you I may put the middle booster at the boat house.
First: less buildings or disruptions.
Second: will make switching easier I think.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 6, 2011 at 02:45 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 02:47 PM

Hotel connection sucks, and have barely had a free moment so far. Maybe late, late tonight...

Looking forward to checking all this stuff out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If you notice the valley entrance in below the lodge is screened from view above by the slope of the hill.
I would move the entrance to the side opposite the lodge. Probably make it look more like a small hill.
This. Not to rain on your parade link, but I didn't travel a billion miles to look at someone's building in front of me, quite the opposite in fact. Keep the underground area and connect it to somewhere else, or make a mound of dirt and let snow cover it. Either way, make it disappear from the landscape.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2011, 02:53 PM

Either way, make it disappear from the landscape.
Or we'll make you disappear.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 02:59 PM

Let's all remember who has two stacks of TNT waiting at the ready.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:01 PM

I'd also like to re-iterate how serendipitous this whole project was.

I wandered an unknown amount of distance and built at the first viable location. With one bend in the rail it ended up at the back of my house. If the track was 3-4 sections longer (another 60-80 blocks) I wouldn't have had the iron to finish it off.

All in all, pretty damn lucky actually, having to stop shy of my goal and start mining for more iron would have stung.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 03:02 PM

Lets all remember who has 12 stacks of gunpowder and access to the following commands: give, boot, ban

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:04 PM

I feel a little like the pope acting badass in front of god...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:06 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm feeling quite vulnerable right now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:10 PM

Blaze is a kitty-cat, with razor-sharp claws two miles wide.

Repent all ye sinners! Time to tithe 10% of your gold to Blaze or fear his wrath!

andi*pandi
May 6, 2011, 03:15 PM

10% of nuthin', is what, carry the zero... nuthin'

(well, almost nuthin')

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2011, 03:19 PM

I wandered an unknown amount of distance and built at the first viable location. With one bend in the rail it ended up at the back of my house. If the track was 3-4 sections longer (another 60-80 blocks) I wouldn't have had the iron to finish it off.
Speaking of which I'll go ahead and pledge drive some donations to you and ask that if everyone can donate a stack or half stack to sek for the rail way you will be utilizing it'd be a nice contribution.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:26 PM

I'll take a couple in total, but past that I'm fine. I've got one stack left at the lodge, enough for tools and such. And after the exterior decorations I am going to start my newest, biggest mine to date. Which will net me plenty of iron I'm sure.

I'd be more interested in donations of white wool to be honest.

If i get, in total, one stack between everyone I'd be perfectly happy, before this rail I didn't have a use for it anyways.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:27 PM

oh yes, also, there will be a new system of calling out before using the rail. A simple "Lodge Rail Clear?" message will suffice. Losing booster momentum and walking the rest of the way is not preferable.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

oh yes, also, there will be a new system of calling out before using the rail. A simple "Lodge Rail Clear?" message will suffice. Losing booster momentum and walking the rest of the way is not preferable.
At least you can walk to the closest booster and push start the cart. Not saying much considering how far apart they are.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 04:08 PM

I feel a little like the pope acting badass in front of god...
There aren't any good screen caps from Dogma readily available.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

YHeyy sorry I just got over excited with my project and thought it would be a ok idea, i didn't know you wanted it a natural view. You can get rid of it its all good sorry about that.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 10:48 PM

Okay boosters are all in, check your achievements because the ride is long enough to get the track one. 2.5 minutes long.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alex901 View Post
YHeyy sorry I just got over excited with my project and thought it would be a ok idea, i didn't know you wanted it a natural view. You can get rid of it its all good sorry about that.
It's ok where it is, just remove the orange tips and it'll blend in with the snow just fine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 05:49 PM

Can't wait to get on tonight and see what you guys have been up to. I've been going through serious withdrawls. I logged on for about 5 minutes last night, got my front and back doors blasted away by creepers, and signed off in frustration. I'm just warning you: Monday I'm off work, and it's gonna be on. All day.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 06:29 PM

A lot has been added since you last visited Mcblobicus lodge. Rail takes off from my garden area, up on the wooden platform.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 8, 2011, 06:28 PM

Alright, I have a huge backlog of images to clear out. Image bomb incoming.

A comforting morning view.

Derp derp – that's a nice dock you've got there...

Zombie Apocalypse

Andi's grass grower reminiscent of a key.

My renovated property and bridge.

At least 4 creepers, 2 zombies, and 2 skeletons.(And there were at least 3 more creepers to my left)

Temple of Time at night.

I still can't figure out how this guy got here. The light is too bright to spawn and there's no slots above him or behind him.

blaze's island destruction

Finally, sek's new steps receive their first snow.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
blaze's island destruction
LOST?

Finally, sek's new steps receive their first snow.
Gotta see. Going now.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 8, 2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nice you got a shot of it mid explosion.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2011, 12:39 AM

I was wondering where you guys host your pictures at?
Oh and today was pretty eventfull, Fatty, Dakar, and i we ended up meeting up exploring the same cave accidentally. Found some awesome looking rooms and tons of iron and some diamond. But no dungeons ><.

Thats the first sprite i made, i think i replace it will wool in the future.

This is us spliting up the spoils, and i was trying out a texture pack i like it but i usually stick to the default look.
I think my current main project is (while im gathering up enough wool to finish the main room of the temple of time) im going to make some visuals and stuff on the railroad to make the ride more enjoyable.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 02:51 AM

Yeeeesh...that texture pack...I don't think I'd stick with that one. I've seen much, much better. Love your big sprite Link though.

I just had an unfortunate accident turn into a stroke of colossal good fortune. This is crazy, but I put my primary bed into storage while I dug up my checkered obsidian, and forgot that if I died, I'd respawn back at the original island/hotel. After spending too much time on the water at night, getting peppered with arrows, dying, and hating myself for a few minutes, I ran into a boatload of clay. I now have around 200 brick blocks, and I'll definitely be using them in the current project.

[EDIT] Scratch that -- over 225 now.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; May 9, 2011 at 03:20 AM. )

andi*pandi
May 9, 2011, 08:57 AM

Anyone have any luck burying notes? I can't get the current to go down.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I ran into a boatload of clay. I now have around 200 brick blocks, and I'll definitely be using them in the current project.

[EDIT] Scratch that -- over 225 now.
What the hell man.

Time to organize a dawn raid of your compound. Hope those defenses are up.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2011, 09:58 AM

Everyone get out your bows and your swords time to pillage!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 9, 2011, 10:07 AM

Finally got a chance to log on,
The snow lodge is fantastic, claimed my room down with my brother and andipandi.

Looking forward to exploring this area, really impressed with the railway to the lodge/alex's sprite along the way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 10:10 AM

Speaking of which, right before I logged last night, my minecart petered out again on the way to the lodge, only this time instead of failing a stone's throw from the boathouse, it failed around Link's.

A subtle reminder that we're using glitched technology, I guess.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Anyone have any luck burying notes? I can't get the current to go down.
I was fiddling with that last night, what can i say you inspired me, and I couldn't get it to work how i wanted either. The way my castle is set up there aren't many places I can hide the redstone. What can I say i'm not an architect and the piecemeal construction without an overall plan creates limitations.

Things I found don't work:
block on top of note
note next to detector rail
powering the block under the note

Things i need to experiment with:
fully encased note (can you still hear it)
redstone torch under note (you'd always get the same instrument though)

If I get to work I want the close encounters tones for my doorbell.

This will pass it from a pressure plate strait down. a button or switch on the upper block will work too.

Pressure Plate
Block
Air
Block w/Redstone

If you need to pass a signal down more than 3 or 4 (like to the bottom of my water elevator)
check the wiki they're both a series of inverters though so you may need to add or remove one to get to be the right setting.

andi*pandi
May 9, 2011, 11:18 AM

You cannot put anything right above a note, that I know for sure. Some examples I've seen do have power (red torch) under the note.

I have

Plate
Block
air
block with redstone

but due to notes needing space, they are one level deeper. I will try another air/block with redstone to see if that travels.
I may need to go a level deeper to get this done. And yes, then there's the question of will anyone hear it? As it is, notes are pretty light for me.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 11:36 AM

I hope the sound travels through materials fairly well, otherwise your stuck with air underneath and 1 "instrument"

I think the rain is to loud compared to the rest of the sounds in the game. keeping the volume loud enough to hear mobs means constantly turning down and up with the rain. Then theres the fact that thunder reaches all the way to bedrock.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 11:40 AM

Haven't noticed the rain (ah, probably because I'm on Fast graphics), but I noticed iTunes drowns out the game way too effectively.

The obvious solution is Notes Blocks should be the size of slabs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules