Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 15)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 11, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Should I destroy the spawner, or try to create a real grinder? It's not possible to move a spawner, is it?
It all depends on what type of spawner it is, if its skeletons or spiders then it may be worth the risk. You can't move the spawner though and you need to be within 16 of it for it to spawn mobs so it ends up being a destination of its own.

In my SSP game I put water channels around the outside leading to one corner were I put the lava knife.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 10:45 AM

I saw skeletons and zombies, although the skeletons were much less prevalent.

It's actually close to where I'm digging rooms, I could hear them groaning, pressed f3 and followed the numbers down.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 10:52 AM

I found an old dungeon someone had already plundered but helpfully left the spawner. Should I destroy the spawner, or try to create a real grinder? It's not possible to move a spawner, is it?
That's probably from me. I left it there with that express purpose in mind. If you have the will to set-up a trap around i, it's all yours.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If someone did, that's mighty, mighty sneaky.
What would be awesome is if you found a line of redstone leading to the middle of no where and a pressure plate that mobs had been activating.

pressed f3 and followed the numbers down.
Cheater!

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 11:11 AM

Hey, I just learned that trick.

Have we reached the practical joke stage of the game?

In honor of the Overlook, er, McBlobius Resort, we should put a hedge maze in back over there. Multiple entrances, above ground, well-lit, with a gazebo in the center with a treasure chest. Race to the middle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 11:15 AM

Hey, I just learned that trick.

Have we reached the practical joke stage of the game?
Wait... Laminar was on the other night.

In honor of the Overlook, er, McBlobius Resort, we should put a hedge maze in back over there. Multiple entrances, above ground, well-lit, with a gazebo in the center with a treasure chest. Race to the middle.
Hedge maze doesn't strike me as apropos in a winter resort, but whatever fatass likes.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 11:23 AM

Oh, winter is apropos.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 11:28 AM

Make sure we can find the exit, otherwise:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 11:31 AM

Can't wait till a creeper finds its way into the maze and you're desperately trying to find the exit.

Also, how do you build a hedgemaze? (Add hedges to my wishlist)

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 11:34 AM

a ton of green wool, or out of wood or cobble if we had to... what happens if you plant pine trees very close together?

cactus would also work, but not look quite right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 11:36 AM

a ton of green wool, or out of wood or cobble if we had to... what happens if you plant pine trees very close together?
If you're willing to do the latter, that would work. A lot of effort, but it would work.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 11:41 AM

cactus would also work, but not look quite right.
...and we'd die 30 seconds in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2011, 11:44 AM

We'll definitely need a an observation deck for it.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 11:48 AM

Walk carefully. Maybe there are traps.

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Creeper City, to take back the diamonds that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great... "

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 11, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What would be awesome is if you found a line of redstone leading to the middle of no where and a pressure plate that mobs had been activating.
Ninja'd.
I was thinking a 5x5 room with the pressure plate along the wall. Just far enough away that the mob noises aren't obvious.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 12:59 PM

I can see things are going to get interesting.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 11, 2011, 02:05 PM

At one point in my SSP game I was trying to find out were the zombie near my house was. Turned out it was the multiple creeper crater outside my door that I have just covered over instead of filling in.

mobs movements are the only source of randomness that I can see in the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 11:30 AM

Oooo, bad news, fellas. They're fixing the minecart glitch. (Blaze, I know you'll ask for a source, it's Notch's twitter)

Powering that ride to McBlobicus Lodge is going to be expensive.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 11:41 AM

BTW, andi, I am not gearing up for an assault of your lands, even though it very much looks like it right now.

andi*pandi
May 12, 2011, 12:11 PM

Well, good news is Maps are coming, right?

DId I pick the wrong night to go to bed early? Curious. I was on this morning but didn't explore.

I'd be up for extending that nice walkway you've got to the Temple of Time.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 12:20 PM

Oooo, bad news, fellas. They're fixing the minecart glitch. (Blaze, I know you'll ask for a source, it's Notch's twitter)

Powering that ride to McBlobicus Lodge is going to be expensive.

Theres a way to get the same affect from powered track. Its ugly and/or dizzying. We'll see if they remove or just nerf the glitch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 12:22 PM

Well, good news is Maps are coming, right?
Eh, it's cool and all, not sure how useful it will be.

I'd be more interested in Notes I can leave in people's chests or on their walls (not signs, which need to be destroyed to re-write).

DId I pick the wrong night to go to bed early? Curious. I was on this morning but didn't explore.
Oh, I don't think you'll need to explore...

I'd be up for extending that nice walkway you've got to the Temple of Time.
Ok, I'd leave that for a later date, however.

---

FYI, finally giving up on the current iteration of my internal cart system has finally given me the solution to Hub cart station dilemma(s). Look for me to start constructing minecart connections to andi and JBs in the coming week.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Theres a way to get the same affect from powered track. Its ugly and/or dizzying.
Really? The big problem I've read is that rate of "decay" for speed is so significantly lower using the glitch.

We'll see if they remove or just nerf the glitch.
I was thinking that too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 12:39 PM

You build a loop thats all powered track and go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and then off to your destination.

But thats obviously non optimal for a rider.

Now if he's fixed double boosters and the "glitch" boosters neither of which I've used then i'm fine with that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 12:41 PM

You build a loop thats all powered track and go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and then off to your destination.

But thats obviously non optimal for a rider.
Half the reason I abandoned my internal cart system was while it was compact, the side-effect was I was getting semi-dizzy from the spiral layout.

So yeah, I wouldn't love it, but that's fatty's call.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 01:02 PM

"* Made booster tracks speedier"
May make them an affordable solution now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 01:05 PM

"* Made booster tracks speedier"
May make them an affordable solution now.
I think the word you're looking for is effective.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 01:52 PM

You know, assuming this bugfix is in 1.6 we're overlooking an interesting option – The Nether will be enabled in SMP, and assuming there aren't any unexpected caveats, we can create an entry portal at sek's isle that takes you to minecart tracks in the nether which lead to a second portal that exits within the lodge (Creating a trip 1/8th the length).

---

FYI, sek, I made a modification in our minecart station on your side. Since I started wrecking into your empty cart frequently when I was visiting (I won't blame you for not "priming" it upon exit), I've linked up the powered rail to the detector attached to the second note box so that as I arrive, it'll activate that spot and prime it for me (if there's a cart already located there). Haven't tested it in a use situation, but it looks to work fine. You shouldn't notice anything different, as I hid the wiring.

---

Also, i swear every other time I log on sek's place slowly creeps towards Dakarlands. Someone added what looked like a pool from my tower. Expansionist and creatively bankrupt. Keep an eye on that guy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2011, 02:25 PM

Just had a crazy ass idea: An item operated dispenser (i.e, a vending machine). First, fill the dispenser with the item to be dispensed. Then in a separate box, place the item (in quantity) which needs to be inserted for it to dispense the item. Player comes by, places the appropriate payment and the machine spits out the desired item.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2011, 08:40 AM

Cool idea.

If anyone needs feathers, there is now an outlet store in the Sand Temple. Cheap as free! Thanks to Blaze for the grinder tutorial!

A few pix:
A creeper waiting for me to install a door:

A creeper relaxing in the whirlpool (soon to be expanded)

Surveying the work yet to be done on the sand castle:

Foggy

Like the caption says

Involuntary screenshot taken in mad scramble to find weapon after discovering this:

A lovely sunrise, featuring Dakar's new addition, which I now realize is going to be a fortress:
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 25, 2015 at 11:25 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 09:42 AM

A lovely sunrise, featuring Dakar's new addition, which I now realize is going to be a fortress:
The great wall of Dakaria?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2011, 10:30 AM

Yeah, it's definitely not a fortress, but the great wall is quite apt (It certainly had some influence on the design). Sadly, Andi's pic is way out of date.
(Also, the wall is taking a long time to build because it's hard to see straight through all the tears as I chop down those trees I love so dearly).

Surveying the work yet to be done on the sand castle:
Yeah, I was wondering what the hell was going on there from my tower. I was going to bring it up at the next homeowners association meeting.

I wasn't digging the use of stone slabs with the sandstone on your place, but now that you know of sandstone slabs, might you convert it? Perhaps we could do some slab trading?

andi*pandi
May 13, 2011, 11:14 AM

I ran out of sandstone, and the stone slabs were a way to stretch what I had, while kind of adding more structural strength. <creepers laugh at this notion> Sandstone slabs would be handy, definitely.

All donations of sandstone welcome, and I can cook some cobble in trade.

I also have plans for the lawn at the top that involve an obsidian gazebo. Trial run for the hedge maze centerpiece. That should be interesting. I have lava, and I'm not afraid to use it!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2011, 12:13 PM

I ran out of sandstone, and the stone slabs were a way to stretch what I had, while kind of adding more structural strength. <creepers laugh at this notion>
The smooth stone slabs I spotted were on the roof, where the least of your problems are integrity.

Sandstone slabs would be handy, definitely.

All donations of sandstone welcome, and I can cook some cobble in trade.
I honestly can't figure out what a fair smooth stone slab to sand stone slab trade ratio is.

The maths:

smooth stone slab
64 Cobblestone (superfluous) + 8 coal (uncommon) = 64 Smooth stone = 64 Smooth slabs

sand stone slabs
64 Sand (semi-common) x4 = 64 Sandstone (uncommon) = 64 Sandstone slabs

Arguably, Sandstone slabs require way more uncommon and raw material. Anybody wanna weigh in because my smooth stone slab need precludes me from an objective analysis.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2011, 12:23 PM

Well, I can take it as sand if that saves you on labor, as I need a fair amount of glass too.

two stacks sand = one stack smooth cobble? Or more?

I can also throw in all the feathers you could want. Too bad you can't make a feather pillow out of them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 12:37 PM

I've got several hundred sandstone is storage, but i mined it out from under the sand on the island before i made it go away. The x4 sand per sandstone makes me hesitant to craft it when i can mine it. glass is more valuable to me than sandstone. I do have a SSP world done with the Primordial Desert generator were I have no qualms about making crafting sandstone. The whole world is covered 12 deep with it.

Your forgetting
64 Cobblestone (superfluous) + ( 8 wood (common) + 1 Charcoal = 8 charcoal ) = 64 Smooth stone = 64 Smooth slabs

At this point I could probably cook all my cobble into smooth stone is a day. I'd just have to place the furnaces I have in storage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2011, 12:44 PM

No need to go nuts here. I just figured I could replace some of andi's slabs with sandstone ones and figured I'd take them off her hands in the process if she had no future plans for them.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2011, 12:46 PM

I'll probably leave the porch as slabs, but take out the floor divider line for the rest.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 05:24 PM

So, after fatty logged last night, I was walking the corridor from his "park" to the hub and I heard the familiar noise of a zombie. I hear this all the time walking this corridor; 9 times of 10 when I'm walking it, it's nighttime, so I never thought much of it, other than it was probably coming from the surface, fatty's lawn.

This time, it seemed a little louder, like there was more than one zombie. Not wanting to waste time, I went into andi mode (F3) and quickly located their general direction and began mining down. There I was greeted by an onslaught and had to quickly retreat. I then recruited Jawbone for the mission and went and outfitted myself.

Come dawn we were ready. I dug open the passage I had blocked with gravel and descended. Immediately they were upon us. I quickly parted left, into the dark, to further light the area in case we had to retreat. Jawbone burst forth into the fray and cut right, leaving swaths of zombies in his wake. COming to a quick dead-end and hearing a raucous melee occurring, I quickly did a 180º to join Jawbone, as he chopped his way towards the dungeon. Ever the dexterous (and cowardly) one, I darted by his left, and the zombies right the light the spawner.

The dungeon was ours.

We quickly stripped it of its mossy cobble as a vulture picks the bones of the deceased. I split the spoils (nothing of note, other than a pig saddle, maybe), and resurfaced the area, a museum to our triumph.

I have no idea how we never realized there was a dungeon between us for a month.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 05:28 PM

This time, it seemed a little louder, like there was more than one zombie. Not wanting to waste time, I went into andi mode (F3) and quickly located their general direction and began mining down. There I was greeted by an onslaught and had to quickly retreat. I then recruited Jawbone for the mission and went and outfitted myself.

Come dawn we were ready. I dug open the passage I had blocked with gravel and descended. Immediately they were upon us. I quickly parted left, into the dark, to further light the area in case we had to retreat. Jawbone burst forth into the fray and cut right, leaving swaths of zombies in his wake. COming to a quick dead-end and hearing a raucous melee occurring, I quickly did a 180º to join Jawbone, as he chopped his way towards the dungeon. Ever the dexterous (and cowardly) one, I darted by his left, and the zombies right the light the spawner.

The dungeon was ours.

We quickly stripped it of its mossy cobble as a vulture picks the bones of the deceased. I split the spoils (nothing of note, other than a pig saddle, maybe), and resurfaced the area, a museum to our triumph.
Dan Brown watch out !!!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2011, 05:31 PM

Dammit, I wish I stayed on for some of that sweet, sweet moss stone

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 05:33 PM

Yup, I have enough to do another face of the Creeper if I want.

andi*pandi
May 14, 2011, 05:47 PM

Again I went to sleep early and missed it all!

Dakar, I have a present for you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2011, 05:47 PM

Does it hiss?

andi*pandi
May 14, 2011, 06:19 PM

Maybe.

Also, my grinder does appear to serve arrows and bones as well as feathers, but low in proportion.

I can see a spider in there too, but I didn't make the waterway wide enough for them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 14, 2011, 06:52 PM

What's happening is their spawning along the opposite wall in the dark, because room is just large enough. You help making it spider comparable.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2011, 07:40 AM

It is now compatible with spiders. I am working on getting my house up to code.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2011, 09:36 AM

Zombies aren't known for their intelligence or manual dexterity. And creepers don't even have arms. When they both make it through your front door, I don't think "up to code" quite covers it.

On a more serious note I think its the bit of water next to your door. Its the only thing I can think of that would let them glitch through.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2011, 10:27 AM

I had been digging outside to get sand and possibly there was a corner open. Now there is a whole lot of cobble there. It did look like that creeper floated through the closed door though. :/

I've thought of putting a button on the inside of my door instead of a plate, so animals wouldn't kindly open the doors, but buttons are more of a pita to time right. Possibly what I'll do is put doors at the top of the stairs to keep animals out, or maybe get rid of the grass.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2011, 10:48 AM

I can show everyone an circuit that will keep the door open for a set amount of time. I'm using 2 of them myself at the moment.
On the wiki there are diagrams for RS-NOR latches, you split in input signal, run it through a couple of repeaters and then to the other end of the latch. To control how long the door stays open you add or remove repeaters. On the cart track to the pyramid I'm using 9 repeaters to control the stack switch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 16, 2011, 11:05 AM

Apparently hatches are coming. Pretty awesome, though I worry about ease of use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules