Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 20)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The end goal is community, but I could use help/opinion setting it up.
I vaguely remember talk of this. Will there be a planning and zoning committee?

After seeing pictures online, I think I'm going to start a graveyard to commemorate all my deaths.
My thought was to place a sign were, or close too were, you died, eventually it would be like the Historic markers scattered around new england.

Do what you need to..
I'll take that as a abstain. I'm not hearing anyone else say they want it to stay.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2011, 03:13 PM

If you wanna share the plans, I'd definitely be up for hearing them, and even donating resources.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I vaguely remember talk of this. Will there be a planning and zoning committee?
No, this isn't the town idea.

I'll take that as a abstain. I'm not hearing anyone else say they want it to stay.
Oh, I thought it was in reference to you doing MCEdit or something. Otherwise I was going to TNT the damn thing myself.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2011, 03:18 PM

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to get access to my remote location. I've built a Nether portal there, but screwed up on one of the obsidian blocks with no diamond pick (doh), and had to trek back home to get another one. I like the idea of a functional underground railway, because I'm getting more and more hesitant to blemish the landscape.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2011, 03:22 PM

Oh, I thought it was in reference to you doing MCEdit or something. Otherwise I was going to TNT the damn thing myself.
I'm partially to blame. I told him that I didn't think y'all would mind a road, but I didn't know exactly what he meant by that. I figured it would be quite different, and didn't know where he was planning on going with it. I figured unseen boundaries would be understood.

I don't want him to get upset and bail on the game though. I screwed up the water between my home and Bonecatrez, if y'all remember. I know it was on the outskirts of the community, but it was just as ill thought out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to get access to my remote location. I've built a Nether portal there, but screwed up on one of the obsidian blocks with no diamond pick (doh), and had to trek back home to get another one. I like the idea of a functional underground railway, because I'm getting more and more hesitant to blemish the landscape.
This is another remote location I haven't visited?

I briefly toyed with the idea of creating a subway outside the Fortress entrance, but the expense in design, work, and resources seemed nearly insurmountable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 03:24 PM

I'm partially to blame. I told him that I didn't think y'all would mind a road, but I didn't know exactly what he meant by that. I figured it would be quite different, and didn't know where he was planning on going with it. I figured unseen boundaries would be understood.

I don't want him to get upset and bail on the game though. I screwed up the water between my home and Bonecatrez, if y'all remember. I know it was on the outskirts of the community, but it was just as ill thought out.
The small line to Bonecatraz was nothing compared to this, though.

I mean, it feels like Fatty's Resort x10.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 04:44 PM

For me it clashes style wise, it encroaches on the neighbors, and it's on the friggin water. If he had done what Sek did and went off someplace to build it, that would have been fine. If I anyone sees him tonight before I do let him know to salvage any materials he wants to keep. He used a bit of colored wool.

I'm also gonna fix the missing water blocks by bonecatrez and the hidden ones I bet are underwater near Dakar that I couldn't fix while skin-diving.

We could TNT it first but I don't like the precedent that sets.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 04:57 PM

For me it clashes style wise, it encroaches on the neighbors, and it's on the friggin water. If he had done what Sek did and went off someplace to build it, that would have been fine. If I anyone sees him tonight before I do let him know to salvage any materials he wants to keep. He used a bit of colored wool.
Its also redundant as hell. There's a bridge from the sand castle/tower 2 area to seks which takes you to a bridge to Bogues which gets you across the bay.

Alternatively, you take the bridge I built hang a right, go to my island, follow the path north and you 'll end up at andi's. So I have no idea what the point was, other than boredom.

I'm also gonna fix the missing water blocks by bonecatrez and the hidden ones I bet are underwater near Dakar that I couldn't fix while skin-diving.
Thanks for that.

We could TNT it first but I don't like the precedent that sets.
I don't actually want to TNT it, but I do find the careless disregard for other people's territory and view pretty flagrant (Ignoring the entire ****ing of the waterway thing). As far as I'm concerned, the water in front of a place is still your territory for a good amount of space. Otherwise I could just carelessly build my wall out north on the water and essentially box in andi's place on two sides, just for the hell of it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 08:57 PM

I don't want people building stuff just to blow it up. Or to get the rest of us to blow it up.

I spent an evening helping him tunnel and lay a cart line between his temple and Seks so the road is super secret redundant.

In other news I've been playing around with redstone to see how I can reorganize the buttons in the castle with an aim to add a bypass button than will allow the cart to bypass the tower and go right to Seks. Inspired by an idea I had to get a signal to propogate with the cart across "chunks"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 09:53 PM

I don't want people building stuff just to blow it up. Or to get the rest of us to blow it up.
Well, I doubt I'd have the cohones to do so without your permission or giving link a heads-up.

I spent an evening helping him tunnel and lay a cart line between his temple and Seks so the road is super secret redundant.
I give him a pass on that, because if I didn't have the archway to andi's in the wall, I wouldn't consider walking through using the hub entirely convenient.

In other news I've been playing around with redstone to see how I can reorganize the buttons in the castle with an aim to add a bypass button than will allow the cart to bypass the tower and go right to Seks. Inspired by an idea I had to get a signal to propogate with the cart across "chunks"
Yeah, if you have time left over this weekend, I wouldn't mind if you could finish off the front gate switch for my place.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 10:02 PM

Not if sek was to come online and break out the TNT I don't think anyone besides link could have grounds to complain.

I was waiting for you to let me know were to put it? Should I just wire it to were the button is now on the end of the bridge? Just a matter of extending the tunnel I started under the moat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 10:23 PM

I was waiting for you to let me know were to put it? Should I just wire it to were the button is now on the end of the bridge? Just a matter of extending the tunnel I started under the moat.
I dug around and put the switch where I wanted it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I'd like to add a second switch on the interior, but I have feeling with how the wiring below is laid out that it's difficult/laborious to circumvent.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2011, 01:14 AM

Wired up the outside switch, and the second switch inside the wall. If you want the other switches doubled you should be able to handle that. The wire underneath is a bit messier now but it works and no one can see it right.

Now I need to figure out how to make the switch outside my front door connect cleanly. I can't put it in the wall even though it's 3 thick there because the wiring for the door and the hatches extends 3 spaces sideways.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2011, 03:42 PM

This is another remote location I haven't visited?
Nah...I just added a new safe house.

I briefly toyed with the idea of creating a subway outside the Fortress entrance, but the expense in design, work, and resources seemed nearly insurmountable.
Your interest in the game might be wearing down

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2011, 09:21 PM

We'll just have to run a line out to the new construction if things progress well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2011, 09:55 PM

I'm sitting in a Starbucks, of all places, and just had an idea for an epic project....

I'm going to have to stock up on red dye...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Speaking ofnred dye, I built a flower factory in the cliff near and is temple. I need to fix the redstone but there should be plenty of flowers left behind when Andi and I were there, otherwise bring bone meal. You just stand there and hold the right mouse button down.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2011, 03:48 AM

Hahaaaa...awesome.

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2011, 09:40 AM

it is. Makes me wish there were blue and black flowers too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2011, 10:44 AM

Okay, edits done, server is back up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2011, 09:56 PM

The creative bug has bitten again, I'm sketching something up. Expect to see my return in the following week.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2011, 08:44 PM

Wired up the outside switch, and the second switch inside the wall. If you want the other switches doubled you should be able to handle that. The wire underneath is a bit messier now but it works and no one can see it right.
Sweeeeet.

If anyone hasn't seen my front gate yet, now is the time to check it out. Blaze did a great job making into an awesome sort of airlock-type room where my interior and exterior gate will can not both be open or closed at once.

Nah...I just added a new safe house.
Ah. That's the one my road is supposedly going to, right?

Your interest in the game might be wearing down
No, the level of commitment to get it just right is too high.

Thank. You. God.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The creative bug has bitten again, I'm sketching something up. Expect to see my return in the following week.
We shall see. Anyway, I recommend just littering the bay with random blocks. (We never did name out Bay, did we?)

---

For those of you following along at home, the Aqueduct is 95% complete, pending a andiland entrance redesign and completion of the moat.

I also added a 4 bed safe house in the most remote tower, connected to the main road.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2011, 09:24 PM

For those of you following along at home, the Aqueduct is 95% complete, pending a andiland entrance redesign and completion of the moat.
This would be the aqueduct that drained all the water from the mountains behind Andi's house. Greedy greedy people in Dakaria.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 09:55 PM

Yay!

Yay again!

If anyone hasn't seen my front gate yet, now is the time to check it out. Blaze did a great job making into an awesome sort of airlock-type room where my interior and exterior gate will can not both be open or closed at once.
Blaze is a beast.

Ah. That's the one my road is supposedly going to, right?
Near the cave system we spent 3 agonizing hours in?

No, the level of commitment to get it just right is too high.
Oh, go for it...

"WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"

I also added a 4 bed safe house in the most remote tower, connected to the main road.
Nice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 10:00 AM

This would be the aqueduct that drained all the water from the mountains behind Andi's house. Greedy greedy people in Dakaria.
To be fair, I did pay her $24 for access.

Near the cave system we spent 3 agonizing hours in?
Agonizing? I had a blast. Lots of good loot. It was getting out that was a challenge.

Oh, go for it...
I realize you're goading, but off the top of my head:

I'd start with an entrance in the ground like this:

Then, I'd have to have it go down to near Hub level (Sub Basement 4, roughly sea level -16) so I could have it traverse under the water without additional construction/design modifications. I'd build the stairs in the style of GTA (sort of like this), so we're looking at a lot of wool.

I'd want to make the actual platform like this:

Then I'd have to recreate each area for each stop (and speaking of stops, there's a system for that too).

Lastly, I'd create two sets of tracks one for coming and one for going.

Sound easy enough?

"WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"
Well, they did kill a lot of Christians.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 10:50 AM

Agonizing? I had a blast. Lots of good loot. It was getting out that was a challenge.
Oh, no doubt. But I also spent what seems like 70% of the time near death. I was convinced I was never hauling all the loot out.

I realize you're goading, but off the top of my head:

I'd start with an entrance in the ground like this:

Then, I'd have to have it go down to near Hub level (Sub Basement 4, roughly sea level -16) so I could have it traverse under the water without additional construction/design modifications. I'd build the stairs in the style of GTA (sort of like this), so we're looking at a lot of wool.

I'd want to make the actual platform like this:

Then I'd have to recreate each area for each stop (and speaking of stops, there's a system for that too).

Lastly, I'd create two sets of tracks one for coming and one for going.

Sound easy enough?
Ha...it all looks like an incredible amount of work...

...but it also looks pretty freaking cool.

Well, they did kill a lot of Christians.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 11:06 AM

Oh, no doubt. But I also spent what seems like 70% of the time near death. I was convinced I was never hauling all the loot out.
Yeah, good thing I loaded up on food for our trip. (Actual pickaxes? Not so much).

Ha...it all looks like an incredible amount of work...

...but it also looks pretty freaking cool.
I'd also use glowstone for ceiling lighting, and probably add emergency hatches/exits between stations.

Then you've got to worry about running into caverns, in which case you'll have to reconstruct the area.

Speaking of glowstone, anyone up for a Nether run? Like many other blocks, I never have enough for my plans...

---

Oh, I forgot I was going to tell JB a story on here. Two weekends ago I was mining Obsidian on my bottom floor of the mine, partially for the obsidian, partially to clear the area and complete the architecture of my place which had been interrupted by the lava there.

I probably worked around an hour, and the obsidian piled up amazingly quick (and I was filling the lava in with sand so it would be easier to mine). As I was finishing up, I was clearing up some odds and ends when I broke a stone that was over lava. Reflexively I just moved ahead and jumped in, dying. Go back down to recover my stuff, most of which I get back. What's missing? A clock, my diamond pick axe, a near full stack of obsidian, a bow, and a pile of sticks. The former three all being the most valuable items I had been carrying. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 12:20 PM

I'll be on today to begin gathering resources for my largest project to date, and to start scouting locations large and flat enough to accommodate it.

I'd like, very much so, to make use of glowstone blocks, so I'm down for a nether trip.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 12:32 PM

I'll be on today to begin gathering resources for my largest project to date, and to start scouting locations large and flat enough to accommodate it.
How mush room are you gonna need? 50 x 50 area? 100?

I'd like, very much so, to make use of glowstone blocks, so I'm down for a nether trip.
We should use the resort as the launching point, as the last time I visited the area that corresponds to the bay was pretty tapped out. So, you know, time to designate a spot for a portal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

The area will be about 60 x 60, I'll probably need some cobble donations to start cooking 5+ stacks of stone to begin work on the main structure. The wall surrounding this area will also be stone. As a teaser, my building will be making use of that circle graph you posted a few pages back.

As for a lodge nether portal, we can shoe-horn it in the basement area, I think I have enough Obsidian lying around for it. This will also allow me to cook resources while we are in the nether. Also, if it's possible, sand donations would also be appreciated 3 stacks or more.

Edit: This will be my first planned building. The lodge was more or less in my head, but I've sketched out not only the building, but the basement areas, the grounds, and the wall. Going to make heavy use of a lot of different materials.

Edit x2: Also also, I'd like to employ Andi to make me a proper doorbell at some point for my new home.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

I foresee needing more glowstone as well. I finally decided on what to use for the altar, borrowing Blaze's idea for 4 different elements. Instead of earth water fire etc, I went with valuable and bright: mossy cobble, nether, obsidian, and glowstone. Then I was on the roof and got pushed off by a spider, resulting in a vicious cycle of dying and grabbing my stuff until daylight came. I had obsidian etc I didn't want to lose. Thus the hill around the temple is terraformed. :/

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 01:13 PM

The area will be about 60 x 60, I'll probably need some cobble donations to start cooking 5+ stacks of stone to begin work on the main structure. The wall surrounding this area will also be stone. As a teaser, my building will be making use of that circle graph you posted a few pages back.

Sadly, I won't be able to donate anything... the crew generously donated tons of cobble when I started on the bridge and between that and the aqueduct I've burned through every last stone and then some (have mined several times throughout). It's a pain when your building material of choice is smoothstone slabs.

As for a lodge nether portal, we can shoe-horn it in the basement area, I think I have enough Obsidian lying around for it. This will also allow me to cook resources while we are in the nether. Also, if it's possible, sand donations would also be appreciated 3 stacks or more.
Ha, all that sand I painstakingly mined terraforming the castle gates into a forest has all but disappeared terraforming a desert oasis into a desert wasteland.

Edit: This will be my first planned building. The lodge was more or less in my head, but I've sketched out not only the building, but the basement areas, the grounds, and the wall. Going to make heavy use of a lot of different materials.
Speaking of planned projects, I might as well relate two failed projects I tested out on SSP one night.

The first was the holodeck: a 20 x 20 x 20 obsidian/glowstone playground I wanted to use as testing ground for project designs (I was using the desert biome double-high room until I converted it and finished the mural)

The second was a Stargate, which looked like complete ass as a plain obsidian circle (before adding a Nether portal), which I was going to add randomly somewhere in the desert, and perhaps litter other parts of the world with.

Oh well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 01:39 PM

I'll probably need some cobble donations
In my castle basement were the tracks are there's a chest full of cobble help yourself. I have 4 more plus the smooth stone i'm stockpiling. Depending on piston behavior all our cobble dreams may come true.

As a teaser, my building will be making use of that circle graph you posted a few pages back.
I've been pondering the possibility of making this. Obviously would have to be in a snow biome.

The second was a Stargate, which looked like complete ass as a plain obsidian circle.
It'd be awesome if you could make nether portal out of other shapes than the one fixed one, then you could make a stargate, it would just need to be large enough to anti-alias. Can't fin a link to the one i'm thinking of.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 03:23 PM

DAAAAADGUMMIT! I was going to use the circle graph after finishing my wall.

Oh well, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I can help with some sand. I'll send some your way.

We should use the resort as the launching point, as the last time I visited the area that corresponds to the bay was pretty tapped out. So, you know, time to designate a spot for a portal.
I wish this game had true portals for quick transport.

Yeah, good thing I loaded up on food for our trip. (Actual pickaxes? Not so much).
Until I donated my last one...30 seconds before dawn when we were leaving.

I'd also use glowstone for ceiling lighting, and probably add emergency hatches/exits between stations.
Are you a city engineer?

Oh, I forgot I was going to tell JB a story on here. Two weekends ago I was mining Obsidian on my bottom floor of the mine, partially for the obsidian, partially to clear the area and complete the architecture of my place which had been interrupted by the lava there.

I probably worked around an hour, and the obsidian piled up amazingly quick (and I was filling the lava in with sand so it would be easier to mine). As I was finishing up, I was clearing up some odds and ends when I broke a stone that was over lava. Reflexively I just moved ahead and jumped in, dying. Go back down to recover my stuff, most of which I get back. What's missing? A clock, my diamond pick axe, a near full stack of obsidian, a bow, and a pile of sticks. The former three all being the most valuable items I had been carrying. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'd rage-quit. Terrible story.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I foresee needing more glowstone as well. I finally decided on what to use for the altar, borrowing Blaze's idea for 4 different elements. Instead of earth water fire etc, I went with valuable and bright: mossy cobble, nether, obsidian, and glowstone. Then I was on the roof and got pushed off by a spider, resulting in a vicious cycle of dying and grabbing my stuff until daylight came. I had obsidian etc I didn't want to lose. Thus the hill around the temple is terraformed. :/
I finally went and took a gander at your temple. Dig it.

In my castle basement were the tracks are there's a chest full of cobble help yourself. I have 4 more plus the smooth stone i'm stockpiling. Depending on piston behavior all our cobble dreams may come true.
Blaze is so generous.

I've been pondering the possibility of making this. Obviously would have to be in a snow biome.
I've got to find a tauntaun skin.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 03:27 PM

DAAAAADGUMMIT! I was going to use the circle graph after finishing my wall.

Oh well, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Not anytime soon. First three steps are... Gather resources, temporary structure to work from, and securing the grounds and lighting them to deter creeper spawns. Then I can build my masterpiece in peace.

I can help with some sand. I'll send some your way.
Awesome to the max.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 03:29 PM

I wish this game had true portals for quick transport.
Aside from the bed glitch, they managed to completely integrate the Nether into SMP without a hitch (in one try!), so that semi-trivial glitch doesn't bother me in the slightest. Quick reverse transport, really.

Are you a city engineer?
It's all about the details, baby. Like the wooden supports holding up my rail tunnels.

I finally went and took a gander at your temple. Dig it.
I think one of the side benefits of the aqueduct is it provides a space to view it from, and a path that indirectly leads to it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 03:52 PM

The thing is I can't make it out of wool. What you say? Oh yeah, lightning. So I'm thinking snow, which is re-nu-able, just slow to collect. I't pretty big making some of the details possible.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 03:53 PM

You could collect some serious snow shoveling the front steps of the resort. sek might even pay you minimum wage.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 04:03 PM

This was my other idea

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 04:05 PM

Love that.

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2011, 04:10 PM

<want>

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 06:04 PM

Beautimus.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 06:49 PM

Be on a little after 8

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 07:36 PM

Ha, just getting off for a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 09:06 PM

…and I can't get back on because they're DDOSing minecraft.net.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 09:18 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 09:22 PM

That's fairly awesome.

Nether portal is ready and I'm clearing land opposite of link's sprite.

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2011, 09:27 PM

That retractable stairway is amazing. The waterway is also a good use.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 09:59 AM

The Portal system is a mess right now.

And glowstone is still too rare, even after the update. I went hunting with both Jawbone and sek last night, and while I don't mind 16 glowstone, that seems a little paltry for 2 hours worth of work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules