Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 3)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Care to link? A quick Google didn't turn anything up for me.
Can I host a Minecraft Server?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That surface lava field yielded 30 Obsidian.

Mine #2 revealed a huge lava fall / waterfall combo, tons more redstone (damned if I know how to use it), and a decent amount of diamonds.

Suppose sleep is in order...
What is a decent amount of diamonds? Whatever it is, I'm sure I hate you.

And several lava/waterfalls just happen to be in the mines right under your property? More hate.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Ouch. My 12/1 connection is only good for three players. Even if I upgrade to the highest 20/2 available in my area it's still only 6 people. I just talked to Qwest and they said there's fiber going in all over town right now but nothing in my area in the next 60 days.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 10:25 AM

Will you have a better connection at your new place?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2011, 10:41 AM

Sorry, the 12/1 is my new place. I'm on 7/0.8 right now, actually getting 6/0.7.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 10:51 AM

I have 2 diamonds right now, I've brought 9 or so buckets worth of lava back to the surface, but there are several lakes of it down there, I've dipped a dozen buckets worth out of one and it has only gone down a little so I'm all set for lava, I just have to wipe out the slimes each time I go there.

If we get above 8 or so it would probably be best to switch to a colo facility for better latency. But thats $$ but probably still cheaper than a high upload home connection.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What is a decent amount of diamonds? Whatever it is, I'm sure I hate you.
6, in total. Used them to create my first diamond pickaxe and shovel.

And several lava/waterfalls just happen to be in the mines right under your property? More hate.

Yep, I've only scratched the surface of that mine as well. I have over 70 redsrone thanks to it so far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 12:44 PM

6, in total. Used them to create my first diamond pickaxe and shovel.
That's not too awful great. I think I've discovered 6 so far, and I'm keeping three in reserve.

ep, I've only scratched the surface of that mine as well. I have over 70 redsrone thanks to it so far.
Bah, not jealous of redstone. I've probably ignored that much in my travels. It's not that useful, and when it is, creating circuits is ugly as ****.

Speaking circuits, I created a steel door for my Borgia Tower last night but I couldn't control it from the inside for some reason. Baffling.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 12:58 PM

Borgia tower?
Pictures are required

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 01:05 PM

I spent an hour trying to control double steel doors. I failed so hard.

Right now I'd kill for more iron ore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:11 PM

You're damn right I do. It's not finished, but it beats the tar out of your tower:

Still need to work on the roof (not even sure how yet) and add some finishing touches.
(Also, note the waterfall I installed to run into the reflecting pool, and a nice little bridge to traverse the small stream it creates)

From the view point. The tower stands over 35 blocks tall, giving it a commanding view of the surrounding land (I maxed draw distance and could still see past it) and is more than half-way to the stratosphere (ceiling is 64 blocks from sea-level)

From the opposite side. From left to right, Path to the Quarry, Stone bridge and underground dock tunnel exit, White Castle (including the never before seen rear forest exit with moat-feeding waterfall), and the exterior wooden supports of my mine-like Tunnel to Nowhere.

Oh and mostly hidden by a tree, a little to the north of the tunnel is my Apple Store Glass safe-house.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 01:20 PM

Tower looks awesome, how did you do the windows?
For my roof I used a mix of wooden planks and wooden stairs plAced back to back for a pointed top.
Edit: did you go 4x4, do you have a center staircase?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:23 PM

Windows are as follows:

Code:
XXXXXXX XOOIOOX XOOIOOX XXXXXXX
X=Wood
O=Open
I=Fence Post

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:27 PM

I may make some adjustments yet. Believe it or not, I built half the wooden top at 30 before deciding it needed to go higher and had to tear it apart. I'm also not complete sold on the cobblestone layer at level 35 – it's just too close to the other that occur at 10, 20, & 30.

I really was despising the tower by level 20, but I have to admit I might make one on a mountain somewhere if it means I get to the very top of the map.

---

Also, I didn't exactly have bouts of vertigo, but I got very, very tense while building some of the higher layers while balancing on one block wide paths. Odd phenomenon.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 01:29 PM

What about those indents in the side of the stone? Those look much smaller than a single block.
Where do you get all this coal to convert your cobble

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
What about those indents in the side of the stone? Those look much smaller than a single block.
You'll have to be more specific. You may be misunderstanding that the base of this behemoth is 7x7.

Where do you get all this coal to convert your cobble
Well, relatively abundant coal s the one thing I have been blessed with, though I did burn through my personal home's stockpile during this job (and most of my cobblestone reserves which I had tucked away in chests for just such an occasion).

As Blaze noted, if you're in a pinch, you can convert wood into charcoal, which is interchangeable with coal. I don't know how efficient it is to do it, but it's certainly better than just using wood as fuel straight up.

---

I forgot to mention a lone wolf did stop by while I was doing construction. I also always stopped at night; While I'm safe in the tower, it seems like any time I work late the next morning there will be a creeper nearby that inevitably sneaks up on me and blows me some piece of my landscape to hell.

The creepers are really annoying. Not a fan of the gameplay there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:41 PM

Furnace - Minecraft Wiki

You can use lava as fuel?! I gotta try that. Though I wonder if once you start an operation it remains "in use" until its time is spent. Either way, would have been clutch for my mass operations last night.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 01:48 PM

With the lava pit in my current mine, coal is almost obsolete , good find

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 01:52 PM

You may want to hold up there. I'm reading on some forum you lose the bucket in the process, which is horseshit. Iron is way too valuable.
Also, it's overall heating time is equal to 14 pieces of coal, which isn't that hard to come by. (Unless the numbers have been tweaked since that thread)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 01:53 PM

One a piece of fuel is used it disappears and the furnace keeps burning regardless of anything in the furnace. So if your have 100 something to cook just come back half way through and add 36 more. Oh and you don't get the bucket back.
When starting you use 1 plank to cook a log, that charcoal will cook 8 more logs, look geometric progression. Only takes 8 to cook 64 blocks. So your better off with multiple furnaces instead of a long lasting fuel. Especially since cobble is easier to come by than iron.

The top two floors of my keep fill with clouds when a cloud comes by. Can be annoying.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 01:53 PM

I could care less about the heating time but losing the bucket is detrimental

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 02:25 PM

Also, I didn't exactly have bouts of vertigo, but I got very, very tense while building some of the higher layers while balancing on one block wide paths. Odd phenomenon.
I've had a sinking feeling in my stomach while working on the edge of super high walls.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 03:21 PM

When I was clearing out the massive shaft that housed the lava and waterfall I got so tense I had to take a break or two. Course that was mostly because I had such awesome items at the time.

Creepers are the only enemy that has ever managed to kill me. Just now I was exploring 'round my island, found a sweet ass coal reserve (over 30), 6 blocks of iron ore, and a huge sand pit. Creeper comes out of nowhere and destroys me, I am unable to find where I was.

Exploring outside for long stints is super dangerous.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 03:22 PM

I should take a picture of my "campsite."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 03:45 PM

I'm also having difficulty staying on one task at a time. Now that I'm starting to expand my influence and am using all materials I can think of, I tend to go off on tangents and forget what my initial goal was.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 03:52 PM

That's natural. Early on I built a path to what I thought would be a mine where I marked altitude. Then I discovered the Crevasse and Bottomless Pit.

When I finally hit Adminium and lava I neglected to go down in search of more diamonds until after I remodeled my home and got so carried away I added the moat.

Somewhere before that I built the dock.

And my need to build a Borgia Tower overran three days of not having visited the netherworld yet.

It's hard to stay on point, but that's a good thing. Without a doubt I'm doing something with carts this weekend.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 04:24 PM

With the changes to the bed / spawning i'll be adding "camps" close to the area i'm exploring to increase chance of item recovery.

Building at high elevations doesn't bother me due to liberal use of the shift key, you get used to hanging over the edge. My monster spawner started out with a 14 block overhand around the roof. Just keep track of that pinky finger.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 04:29 PM

It ain't the shift key that's keepin' you from being nervous.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 05:00 PM

I've been pondering the supplies required for a minecraft version of Leomund's Tiny Hut for when you plan on wandering about.

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2011, 05:38 PM

Anything other than coal, flint, and iron is mythical, AFAIC. I'm still living in the dark ages. Although it was fun to set fire to some trees.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 08:23 PM

PM me with your minecraft ids and i'll add you to the whitelist and send the URL.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 08:39 PM

Minecraft ID:
KevinBogues

Also PM Sent

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 10:46 PM

I have a less-than-legitimate version of Minecraft, does that cause problems?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 11:12 PM

yup

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2011, 12:17 AM

Hrm, seriously considering selling Homefront, and using the proceeds to buy Minecraft then.

Am I able to transfer my map to the legitimate copy?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2011, 09:06 AM

As an FYI the contents of the chests in my castle transferred as well. Dampened the shock of changing maps. Now I just have to start a new mine. I made the mistake of importing with air off so I had to dig out the bottom two flores.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2011, 07:49 PM

Been very busy the last two days.

Fire off, I set sail for a new sand island, made a 9x9 pit mine and started heading down. Enormous amounts of coal and iron. Hit a lava pocket, flooded the pit, another 30 Obsidian. Cleared out the laval area only to find a pocket of 5 diamonds, and my first hidden dungeon with spider spawner. Some metal buckets, riding saddles, feathers and string, eh... Not that great when compared to what I mined around it with.

Completed my first set of tracks, from original set to the new sand island (which is now more like a giant fortress. Made my first cart booster which works nicely as well.

Pit mine may still hold riches, but I've switched to building mode now, seeing as the pit mine yielded well over 2000 cobblestone.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2011, 07:54 PM

View through the glass ceiling downwards. Current depth is probably a good 20 blocks lower.

Just one example of the rich clusters of coal. Minutes after taking this picture I uncovered the lava room, diamonds, and dungeon.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2011, 09:51 PM

I just found 2 wolfs. Managed to tame one. Then it went bouncing around on my bear skin rug and jumped into the lava, my nearest water was downstairs and it died. sniff.

hart
Senior User
Apr 3, 2011, 02:02 PM

I just found 2 wolfs. Managed to tame one. Then it went bouncing around on my bear skin rug and jumped into the lava, my nearest water was downstairs and it died. sniff.
Awww, poor wolf. I'm careful not to take my wolves with me where it's dangerous. They tend to shove you around.

My resident Minecraft expert maintains that buckets are in fact no longer (as of a recent update) destroyed when using lava as fuel but I'm not eager to test it with any of my buckets.

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2011, 02:33 PM

I tried taming a wolf with a bone, but accidentally hit it, so it killed me.

I gave up on the Snowy Foggy World, and am in a new world. This world has sun, birch trees, pumpkins and water. Much nicer, although I haven't found any iron yet I did manage to get enough string and arrows to make fighting creepers much easier.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 3, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
My resident Minecraft expert maintains that buckets are in fact no longer (as of a recent update) destroyed when using lava as fuel but I'm not eager to test it with any of my buckets.
Tell your resident minecraft expert he owes me a bucket...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2011, 04:03 PM

/give KevinBogues 325 1

hart
Senior User
Apr 3, 2011, 04:14 PM

better you than me. :/ OK, NOW he says buckets are still destroyed in SMP but not singleplayer. (I always take his pronouncements with a large grain of salt. And coal.)

penultimatey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2011, 04:33 PM

That would be me. Sorry about the iron, but in my defense in SSP you get the bucket back but not in SMP and I don't play SMP.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2011, 06:49 PM

I tamed a wolf, then discovered that he drove me absolutely crazy. Every time I'd start cutting down trees, I'd have this bump from behind or the side that would misalign me. I finally surrounded him with dirt blocks and then ran away as fast as I could.

I'm still not ready to post my images yet, but maybe later tonight/tomorrow.

penultimatey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I tamed a wolf, then discovered that he drove me absolutely crazy. Every time I'd start cutting down trees, I'd have this bump from behind or the side that would misalign me. I finally surrounded him with dirt blocks and then ran away as fast as I could.

You do know that if you right click him he will sit and stay put right?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by penultimatey View Post
You do know that if you right click him he will sit and stay put right?
Whoops...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2011, 10:21 AM

I spent an hour trying to control double steel doors. I failed so hard.
They're glitched. Just control one and leave the other for "decoration"

PM me with your minecraft ids and i'll add you to the whitelist and send the URL.
ID: DakarZero

The animal AI in this game is, for lack of a better word, terrible. It's one of the reason I have the moat around my place; I take sweet, sweet pleasure in hearing some cow bumbling about there, splash, and then moan in agony as the cacti chew him up. Better luck next time, cow.

Suck it up, Buttercup.

---

Finished a lot of projects this weekend (though, hilariously, not the Borgia Tower, as it's too damn stressful). Dug my mineshaft to Adminium, which went way better than expected even after scouting for location. I hit zero pockets on the way down, and managed to connect to my lava chambers on the second try. I also created a water elevator, but it's a little shaky as I'm not sure the proper way to exit at the top (I think I know the problem and I won't want to fix it).

With quick access to the lava mines, I did some exploratory work and was well rewarded. After a marathon session down below I actually garnered over a full stack of Iron and a diamond or two (Surprisingly zero gold). This worked out well as this fed my other project this weekend, a rail system between White Castle and the newly constructed pit(I dare say I now have more iron than I need). The system works pretty well,but I've found entering/exiting the minecart to be a little hairy, which begins a process of cursing as I try to manually reset the carts.

Going back to mineshaft, one of the more pleasing aspects is int he morning you'll often hear some pained screams by animals who decide to jump to their death from the far above ground. The downside is I think they also spawn in the railway station and have jumped in my minecart, triggering it.

Everything went so well this weekend I finally set sail to make a new far-off home. I scouted a location with an above ground lava-pit to construct a villainous volcanic lair. Upping the ante, I constructed a shallow trail for the lava to trace before dumping into the sea. This particularly pleasing when I arrive by boat and the game inexplicably spawns a cow right in the molten river, to its displeasure.

Once I set up a camp, I explored the surrounding area. I found pumpkins (One of the few items I had not yet found) and a few caves which seem to be interconnected, but more importantly, seem rich in ores and descend quite deep. They are also the first caves I found mobs actually spawning in (I had encountered mobs before in my previous diggings, but only in small contained chambers).

Plans for the future include finishing my lava fortress, exploring said caves, burrowing into the landscape to create tunnels for quicker travel by boat to and from home, and finally, a railway system interconnecting the two far-flung areas.

Side note: I did finally go into the Nether, but the ambient soundtrack was so creepy (and effectively masked all other sound) that I found it too harrowing to explore. I grabbed some Netherrack and got the fudge out of there.

I'll be posting pics later.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2011, 02:33 PM

My first completed set of track, leading from my home courtyard to the Pit mine. Exiting the cart without it rolling down my two starting points can be tricky, but I'm getting better at leaving the cart undisturbed.

Now my trip back and forth takes no time at all!

Forum Links
Forum Rules