Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.8 out!!

10.2.8 out!! (Page 3)
JayTay
Sep 23, 2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
On a late '01 iBook with 640 MB RAM...

The update took longer than anticipated as I have not restarted my iBook in nearly two weeks. Somehow I mysteriously regained nearly a gig of HD space.
That will have been caused by the OS deleting any and all swapfiles that may have built up over the last two weeks.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 09:24 AM

more...
on my pismo, opening apps seems faster...anyone else see this?

emptying the trash is faster.
my battery (see the powerbook forum) is reading 1:10 at full charge...repaired permissions, reset the pram...we'll see...

my sound balance was far right after installing 10.2.8. no other weird stuff (so far)

upgrading is fun, scary. no wonder we all can't wait to do it!

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
more...
on my pismo, opening apps seems faster...anyone else see this?
Just wait till you install Panther on that Pismo. I actually can enjoy using mine with Panther now.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 10:25 AM

I got about 2:15 remaining at 100% charge on my PowerBook G4 12" 867 Mhz.

Really poor, but not very strange since I hardly can get 3 hours. My battery and/or PB must have something wrong.

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by delete:
Yes! Very Weird. Same thing happened with my 12". I waited along time until I didn't hear the hard drive anymore and forced a restart. It booted fine, but maybe it's why my permissions got all wacked.
Hi!

I told a freind in Hawaii about the update to 10.2.8. She was running Software Update, and sometime during the process her screen went black and all that was there was the mouse arrow. She restarted her computer without completing the update. Everything seemed fine but she can't open Classic.

It tells her she had a Resourse Update Error- when attempt to update the System Folder with Classic specific resources.

Can she download the 10.2.8 Combo updater and run it again over the first bad install? When she tried to run it through Software Update, it told her she was up to date. If not what would you suggest? It sounds like the installation did not properly complete. Thanks for any help!

Peter
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I lost a few preferences (LogiTech keyboard prefs, some keychain stuff, and the clear Dock of course).

No biggie.
Same here.. LogiTech mouse, keychain..and the transparent dock. I reapplied transparentdock...big mistake.
The dock disappeared and I coudn't get it back I had to restore the OS..
Other problem with Candybar: system icons (monitor, ichat, sound..) from the menu bar are gone!!
I had to reverse to the backup icons and restart.
I also had other minor issues easily fixed..
First time that an update gives me so much trouble..
I hope Panther is coming out soon.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 11:50 AM

Count me as another person who had big trouble with 10.2.8 and TransparentDock. After the upgrade, the dock lost it's transparency. Presumably because the Dock.app was updated to a new version. I then fired up Transparent Dock and attempted to "re-apply" the settings. It asked me if I wanted to make a backup of the Dock but I passed because I had already made one months ago when I first installed the software. Big mistake! The Dock simply refused to launch. I have my desktop picture set to rotate once every minute and it just went crazy and started rotating once a second! The only way I could get my system back was to use Transparent Dock to restore the Dock backup I made before installing 10.2.8. So I'm running an older version of the dock for now and it seems to work, but once Apple releases a standalone 10.2.8 I plan on reinstalling it to get the latest version of the Dock again.

Bottom Line

Do NOT attempt to use Transparent Dock with 10.2.8!

OAW

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
I can confirm:

- MIP has been broken. The checkbox to turn it on is still there, but cannot be activated.
I can confirm:

- MIP was never an official feature, and you were probably using the Jagar beta dock.

WindowShade X works fine.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by OAW:

Bottom Line

OAW
Agree but you can use Cleardock. It worked for me.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2003, 01:37 PM

No doubt... I'm leaving THIS update alone.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
No doubt... I'm leaving THIS update alone.
So far, I've only experienced the battery level dropping by a magnitude of unreasonable. It'd be nice to get a final update for Jag before Panther, which tied up all the previous security, patches, etc. and actually sorted out all the little bugs; purely for easy reinstallation of Jag in the future.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 02:19 PM

i closed & reset transparent dock, and it's been working fine...
i also had the battery weirdness on my pismo, zapped the pram, redid permissions...we'll see.

but some definite speed enhancements in the finder, and everything else works great.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 07:41 PM

I've found 10.2.8 re-establishes airport connections after waking from sleep far quicker than previously.

In the past waking my PowerBook would result in the airport sitting there for a short while, then disabling itself, then reenabling, and then a few moments later again it would establish a connection. This means around a 5 second delay from waking my PowerBook to my internet connection via airport base station working - resulting in several applications, like Entourage, going ape.

Now with 10.2.8 I wake the machine and the airport connection sits there for a short moment and then is instantly active - no watching it disable/re-enable/etc.

Yay

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 09:02 PM

Ummm, Sorry to dis the update but i need to read the manual or something....

Apparantly, the ambient light level was dropped to low after the update, and I NEVER noticed the F8, F9, F10 keys to control the level of the keyboard light.

So, after a couple of presses of F10
WE'RE BACK TO NORMAL!!!!

Sorry Apple, although apparently YOU know your update sucked.....

But my Battery life still sucks,, WTF!!!!?????
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 09:06 PM

Where is the update? It's no more in Versiontracker or at Apple...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75150

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Count me as another person who had big trouble with 10.2.8 and TransparentDock. After the upgrade, the dock lost it's transparency.

<snip>

Bottom Line

OAW
FWIW, Transparent Dock has already been updated by its author. Just don't use version 2.02.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

andybrawer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 09:39 PM

I'm having this exact issue - any suggestions much appreciated. I backed up before the upgrade, but I flew this morning and it will be a week or so before i can get home to restore.

thx - andy

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Hi!

I told a freind in Hawaii about the update to 10.2.8. She was running Software Update, and sometime during the process her screen went black and all that was there was the mouse arrow. She restarted her computer without completing the update. Everything seemed fine but she can't open Classic.

It tells her she had a Resourse Update Error- when attempt to update the System Folder with Classic specific resources.

Can she download the 10.2.8 Combo updater and run it again over the first bad install? When she tried to run it through Software Update, it told her she was up to date. If not what would you suggest? It sounds like the installation did not properly complete. Thanks for any help!

Peter

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 10:04 PM

Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro Software not detecting my trackball after update.

other than that, no other problems.

Apple PowerMac Mirror Drive G4 1.25 mhz

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 11:49 PM

Man... I thought I escaped the 10.2.8 debacle unscathed... but I may NOT have. I came-home today to see my screensaver still on (after 8+ hours?) and realized it was "frozen"... when I approached the montors, I noticed my center display had a translucent box... yep... a good ol' Kernel Panic.

I know it's is POSSIBLE that it's coincidence and NOT related to updating to 10.2.8 when it came out, but my guess is that they ARE related considering I haven't had a KP in over a year or more... I think it was pre 10.1.X.

*sigh*

Cest la vi (sp?)

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Just wait till you install Panther on that Pismo. I actually can enjoy using mine with Panther now.
Very true, it's so fast it isn't funny. It feels like OS 9 now, Photoshop screams along. God knows what it'll be like on something faster than a 400mhz PB. Happy days.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 11:23 AM

New KB article about 10.2.8 and Ethernet: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107669

Forum Links
Forum Rules