Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Petition for Rage Pro and IIc support in OS X

Petition for Rage Pro and IIc support in OS X
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 11:37 AM

As a result of the frustrations expressed by many beige G3, iMac, and iBook owners, I have started a petition to encourage Apple to develop real and working drivers for Rage Pro and Rage IIc graphics cards. True support on Apple's part should include 2D and 3D hardware acceleration for all machine's they have promised to support for OS X. If you feel this way, go to http://gopetition.com/info.php?petid=386 and sign away. Please pass it on to others.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2001, 11:54 AM

Thanks for starting this.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
<STRONG>As a result of the frustrations expressed by many beige G3, iMac, and iBook owners, I have started a petition to encourage Apple to develop real and working drivers for Rage Pro and Rage IIc graphics cards. True support on Apple's part should include 2D and 3D hardware acceleration for all machine's they have promised to support for OS X. If you feel this way, go to http://gopetition.com/info.php?petid=386 and sign away. Please pass it on to others.</STRONG>
This is also for wallstreet users as well.
Let's sign it.

<hashboy0519>
Aug 27, 2001, 01:02 PM

Rage Pro support is in 10.1 so don't waste your time.

<dasdasein>
Aug 27, 2001, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by &lt;hashboy0519&gt;:
<STRONG>Rage Pro support is in 10.1 so don't waste your time.</STRONG>
...and for Lombard users.

as for 5G24, there is NO GL driver.
Even a DVD driver is missing (radeon and rage128 have a seperate kext file for DVD playback)

<eddie vedder>
Aug 27, 2001, 01:52 PM

<STRONG>Rage Pro support is in 10.1 so don't waste your time.</STRONG>
uh... no there isn't ass.

just because there is 2 files called ragepro.kext doesn't mean **** . they both do nothing. Obviously you don't have a rage pro or IIc based machine or you would know this.

shut up now

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 02:22 PM

If anyone gets any flack, here's a good argument why Rage Pro and Rage IIc cards should be supported in beige G3s, iMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks. SCSI cards have received support and drivers in OS X. This standard was phased out in favor of FireWire around the same time (if not earlier) that Rage Pros and IIcs were placed in our machines and sold to us. The difference is that SCSI cards were often third party add-ons or BTO options. The GPUs in our machines were neither third party add-ons nor were they options. Asking for support for something Apple has stuck us with, therefore, is perfectly legitimate.

BTW, thanks for all the support so far. Let's keep up the good work!

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2001, 03:14 PM

My beige G3 has RageIIc, built-in SCSI, and floppy drive. All should be fully supported if the OS claims to support that machine.

<hashboy0519>
Aug 27, 2001, 03:23 PM

Hey Vedder

Nice to see how adult you guy's discuss these matters. Are you a developer? Do you have contacts at Apple? I am just wondering because you seem to be privvy to more information than I. These are developmental builds, the DVD is stated as non functional even in 5G27 ass. This means that the kernal extensions and video drivers for the player have not been built yet, or not included for stability purposes. Rage Pro is a definate go for both 2D and 3D acceleration in 10.1, the IIc remains to be seen. The drivers that are included in the developmental builds are very limited, but that is why they are pre release builds dumbass, not fully functional. So next time you spout off know what you are talking about and possibly react in a constructive debate instead of being a child.

ddukes
Aug 27, 2001, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
<STRONG>If anyone gets any flack, here's a good argument why Rage Pro and Rage IIc cards should be supported in beige G3s, iMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks. SCSI cards have received support and drivers in OS X. This standard was phased out in favor of FireWire around the same time (if not earlier) that Rage Pros and IIcs were placed in our machines and sold to us. The difference is that SCSI cards were often third party add-ons or BTO options. The GPUs in our machines were neither third party add-ons nor were they options. Asking for support for something Apple has stuck us with, therefore, is perfectly legitimate.

BTW, thanks for all the support so far. Let's keep up the good work!</STRONG>
GPU?? I didn't know the Rage IIc in my Beige was even considered a GPU--the closest thing to a real GPU is the GeForce 3.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: ddukes ]

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Milio:
<STRONG>My beige G3 has RageIIc, built-in SCSI, and floppy drive. All should be fully supported if the OS claims to support that machine.</STRONG>
Right on Milio. I haven't had the chance to try a recent build of Puma (no broadband over the summer), but I hope that it supports everything that Apple built into the "stock supported" systems.

hashboy, what evidence do you have that Rage Pros work in 10.1? I'm not being critical, but I would like you to substantiate the claim. What are the names of the drivers? Are they different than 10.0.4? Can you post benchmarks?

And let's keep it clean guys. We don't need this thread to get closed.

HamSandwich
Aug 27, 2001, 03:43 PM

I posted this at our news site macinplay.de, it was posted at MacNN which is a very good thing, hoever 109 are way to less.

<Lemon Ice>
Aug 28, 2001, 01:45 AM

"My beige G3 has RageIIc, built-in SCSI, and floppy drive. All should be fully supported if the OS claims to support that machine."

Exactly. I've been saying this since OS X 10.0.0 came out.

It's amazing what people allow Apple to get away with. Selling a product with false advertizing.

<eddie vedder>
Aug 28, 2001, 02:19 AM

<STRONG>Hey Vedder

Nice to see how adult you guy's discuss these matters. Are you a developer? Do you have contacts at Apple? I am just wondering because you seem to be privvy to more information than I. These are developmental builds, the DVD is stated as non functional even in 5G27 ass. This means that the kernal extensions and video drivers for the player have not been built yet, or not included for stability purposes. Rage Pro is a definate go for both 2D and 3D acceleration in 10.1, the IIc remains to be seen. The drivers that are included in the developmental builds are very limited, but that is why they are pre release builds dumbass, not fully functional. So next time you spout off know what you are talking about and possibly react in a constructive debate instead of being a child.</STRONG>
actually I am a developer. Not only am I part of the Apple Developer Connection I am also part of Apple's Software Seeding program (formerly CQF).

there are no working rage pro drivers in 10.1. and this late in the game I would say that they won't be there in 10.1 final. and as for the DVD player, the DVD Player isn't working because the app still sucks.

I'd like to see how you say that 2d and 3d for rage pro is a definite. I can see 2D MAYBE but 3D is certainly not shaping up well now.

facts rather than what you think will happen often help

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2001, 08:35 AM

Great petition. I'll sign it. In return, why not check out this petition for 3Dfx support? This one goes to NVidia, rather than Apple, but it's the same general idea.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

<Tagada>
Aug 28, 2001, 10:05 AM

<STRONG>My beige G3 has RageIIc, built-in SCSI, and floppy drive. All should be fully supported if the OS claims to support that machine.</STRONG>
Rigth on Milio.
I am wondering what would be the cost/risk in actually sueing Apple for false advertising. Here in France I would not do it, but in the US?

Anyone wiling to try? ;-)
(after 10.1 is out of course)

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 10:56 AM

Millennium, I checked out your petition and it certainly seems fair. Consider it signed .

As for suing Apple, I'm not a lawyer nor am I a law student. Plus, I think we'd have to see exactly what Apple said before we open that can of worms. Not to sound like a jerk, but at this point I am merely interested in grabbing Apple's attention and hopefully getting the drivers included through user support. If others want to pursue this venue, that is up to them.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2001, 12:19 AM

Nice work people! So far we are up to 308 signatures. That's pretty good. If we keep letting everyone know, I think we'll have a good thing going!

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 12:58 AM

yep, I have the same machine with the optional A/V card which sits there doing noting... I can't even select one of my 6 sound input...
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules