Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > fastest cpu for the mini

fastest cpu for the mini
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 02:03 PM

I have a 1.6 intel mini, very happy wiht it. I run aperture on it, and while overall the performance is ok, sometimes its a little pokey. Since I've read that the cpu is on a daughter card, what is the fastest cpu that the mini will take. Also will the core 2 cpus be compatible - I kind of doubt it, but I figured I'd ask.

Also were would I find a place to buy said CPUs.

I'm waiting on WWDC and Nikon before I spend my hard earned money. Its either going to be a new desktop, i.e., "mac pro" if apple unveils it, or a new camera if I like what Nikon unveils. Both are occurring next week, though I'm not sure if that makes my decision any easier.
Michael

Jeff Lebowski
Aug 4, 2006, 02:12 PM

Buy them off newegg buy them off newegg buy them off newegg

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to buy your computer parts off newegg. They're one of the highest user ranked sites in the world.

As for your upgrade question: yes you can upgrade a mac mini, here are a list of the supported processors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ice=&maxPrice=

Personally I suggest waiting for the Core 2 Duos to come out, but I don't know if the Mac Mini's Northbridge will support it. Intel is stupid about these things.

*edit* not it's not on a daughter card, it's socketed into the Mini-ITX mobo.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 03:07 PM

The fastest CPU currently available for the mini is 2.16Ghz Core Duo (I think the 2.33s are still for major OEMs only). As the previous poster said, buy it from Newegg.

Yes, the Core 2 Duo works in the mini (and the iMac). You can find someone who put a pre-release C2D chip into a mini on Google.

Jeff Lebowski
Aug 4, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The fastest CPU currently available for the mini is 2.16Ghz Core Duo (I think the 2.33s are still for major OEMs only). As the previous poster said, buy it from Newegg.

Yes, the Core 2 Duo works in the mini (and the iMac). You can find someone who put a pre-release C2D chip into a mini on Google.
Yes, thanks for confirming. I'd suggest waiting and getting a fast Core 2 Duo, although I'm unsure of whether the existing heatsink in your Mac Mini can handle that kind of load.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 04:41 PM

They can handle any Yonah or Merom chip. I have a 2ghz Yonah (Core Duo) in my Mini. The next models, the Core 2 Duos, aka the Meroms, have been confirmed to work in the Minis. They have 4mb of l2 cache instead of 2mb and go up to 2.33ghz. Supposedly a 20% performance increase over comparable Yonah chips. It all boils down to what your budget is.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Yes, thanks for confirming. I'd suggest waiting and getting a fast Core 2 Duo, although I'm unsure of whether the existing heatsink in your Mac Mini can handle that kind of load.
The mobile Core 2 Duo chips (Merom) are designed to use about the same amount of power as the current Core Duos... I think it may be a 4W increase at most.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 06:16 PM

Cool thanks guys.
Michael

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
I have a 1.6 intel mini, very happy wiht it. I run aperture on it, and while overall the performance is ok, sometimes its a little pokey. Since I've read that the cpu is on a daughter card, what is the fastest cpu that the mini will take. Also will the core 2 cpus be compatible - I kind of doubt it, but I figured I'd ask.

Also were would I find a place to buy said CPUs.

I'm waiting on WWDC and Nikon before I spend my hard earned money. Its either going to be a new desktop, i.e., "mac pro" if apple unveils it, or a new camera if I like what Nikon unveils. Both are occurring next week, though I'm not sure if that makes my decision any easier.
Nikon kicks butt!! Have fun with it if you choose to buy one.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules