Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX Vers. of Remote Desktop?

OSX Vers. of Remote Desktop?
pixelperson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 04:38 PM

Greetings,

I am wondering if there is some Mac-specific tool that is similar to the Remote Desktop that I have seen being used by Help Desk/Support people. This Remote desktop allows a Help Support person (with permission of the user) to connect to a Mac via the internet/network.

I am in college and I use Mac at Home and work in a PC/Mac environment at school. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cold Warrior
Jul 19, 2007, 04:55 PM

do you want to connect from OS X >> Windows, OS X >> OS X, or Windows >> OS X ?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 05:15 PM

Timbuktu is cross platform and very well featured.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 06:39 PM

Apple have the "Apple Remote Desktop" application which is the nearest equivalent. The server (or end user) portion is included in Mac OS X on every Mac. The client (or administrator) part is a commercial application and rather expensive.

(Please note that depending on your definition of 'client' and 'server' you may not like that way I've stated these above, but I'm a systems admin).

VNC is a good cross-platform remote control solution, and is free and open. Again, VNC server is included in Mac OS X on every Mac (and can be enabled withing the Apple Remote Desktop preferences).

Timbuktu is a good cross-platform solution, but is commercial and expensive.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 09:26 PM

There is Remote Desktop that is the same client as the Microsoft Remote Desktop available on Mactopia (Microsoft's Mac downloads). This is for using terminal services to other machines. I use it all the time - and in my opinion it beats VNC hands down.

But, you can't really do any sessions with the user there at the desktop - it's a terminal services deal of 1 person logged on at a time (at least for remote administration of xp boxes, not servers)
So basically you will need to use a VNC solution for true help desk help the user remotely activities. Apple's Remote Desktop is based on VNC technology also, not Terminal Services. You might check out some of the website based solutions where you have the user go to a website for you to connect to their machine if you have loads of cash for the fees. $$$$$

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:48 PM

Microsoft's Remote Desktop Application (link above) is not just for connecting to Windows Terminal Servers, but for connecting to any Windows machine via RDP, Microsoft's remote desktop protocol that is built into all versions of Windows.

Apple's "Apple Remote Desktop" implementation is Apple's own VNC based remote desktop technology. You have to pay for the Apple client, like Brass said.

There are a number of free VNC clients that can be used to replace Apple's client if you wish, and even some replacement VNC servers. VNC is an open protocol.

VNC functions over port 5900 - 590x, depending on how you have it setup, so you will need to open these firewall ports on the server you are connecting to.

My favorite OS X VNC client right now is called "Chicken of the VNC".

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Microsoft's Remote Desktop Application (link above) is not just for connecting to Windows Terminal Servers, but for connecting to any Windows machine via RDP, Microsoft's remote desktop protocol that is built into all versions of Windows.
Correct. I hope I didn't come across as saying that it was only for servers. TS and RDP is used interchangeably in my world.

Oh.. and the box used as the 'server' in RDC is only available in XP Pro, not XP Home. The client is available to all, but not the server side app. Vista TS side server... err..I know you can in Ultimate.. not sure about the Vista De La Hoya's.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by PartialPants View Post
Correct. I hope I didn't come across as saying that it was only for servers. TS and RDP is used interchangeably in my world.
That's cool, it would be nice if Apple could make their own terminal services available. This is a great feature!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

Does the Apple Remote Desktop have any advantages over the Chicken of the VNC in terms of speed or features? I imagine it must, or else Apple wouldn't sell any....

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Does the Apple Remote Desktop have any advantages over the Chicken of the VNC in terms of speed or features? I imagine it must, or else Apple wouldn't sell any....
Yes. VNC is merely remote control, viewing and clipboard sharing.

ARD includes all the admin tools such as mass distribution/installation, monitoring, etc.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 12:22 PM

There is a new Remote Desktop (not VNC BTW but I've heard it does support VNC connections too) out by someone else (not M$). It's called TSclientX and you can get it here: TSclientX - An alternative RDP Client for Mac OS X

After downloading it I learned it uses X11 (I don't like), but I installed X11 anyway and fired it up. It looks and feels pretty good!!! I've been using it instead of the M$ version for a few days now. Hey... guess what? They have mapped the Command key to the WIndows key!!! I love the WIndows R and WIndows D commands in WIndows boxes.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 03:32 PM

Personally, I have and use SpyMe 2. SCO have a programme or two on how to use it:

SCO0091 - SpyMe 2 - Remote Access & Monitoring | Remote Access | ScreenCastsOnline

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 03:51 PM

I watched the screencast and SpyMe 2 looks awesome. But, it doesn't support the monitoring or remoting into PC's (which some of us have to support).

It's still really nice - and not much $$$$$ to buy.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 05:07 PM

Natch, that I hadn't realised, but I don't need to access PCs. However, the single most important and fantastic feature of SpyMe 2, IMO, is the ability to set yourself up as a Support Centre for other Mac users based anywhere in the world. All they have to do is click a button to request support and you can patch into their system. They don't have to have the full programme themselves, only the free Preference pane/daemon. The only major drawback with this is that it is quite tricky trying to explain to them how to install the freeware and set it up, before you can access their systems, when they aren't very computer literate in the first place

Incidentally, Leopard will have this feature built-in, but I don't know how well it works over the net.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 05:36 AM

As JKT mentioned the next OS version 10.5 has this built in to the Finder and it works very well over the net, you can copy and paste between machines which is useful too.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 06:48 PM

There's another remote desktop app out there I just found: CoRD: Remote Desktop for Mac OS X

It's called coRD and looks nice but I've not played with it yet. I also read somewhere that M$ was going to update there's for the Mac too (but I don't put too much stock in that).

Somebody check out coRD before I do and let us know about it ok?

dawho9
Senior User
Jul 29, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by PartialPants View Post
I also read somewhere that M$ was going to update there's for the Mac too (but I don't put too much stock in that).
According to the MacMojo blog from M$, there is going to be a UB Beta of a new RDP Client for OSX available this week. Along with a beta of their file converter for Office 2007/08 file format.

All this week. Yeah!

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 07:31 PM

Apple Remote Desktop is by far the nicest tool. It's buggy, but it has functionality other programs don't have.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 02:19 PM

The Remote Desktop client for Mac by , errr, Microsoft is out for Beta:

Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.0 (Beta)

Forum Links
Forum Rules