Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > App for storing sensitive information on iphone, syncs with mac.

App for storing sensitive information on iphone, syncs with mac.
superapplegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

Hey boys and gals, happy new year to you and your families.

I am looking for a stable and extra safe platform for my iphone and mac to store sensitive data (bank account no.s, passwords, receipts, certificates, ids, cc etc.). It will have to sync preferable over the air, have super strong encryption and allow a variety of files.

I ve really looked deep and hard for this, but I haven't come away with an impression that one is better than the other, or that enough users are vouching for it, hence I am posting to the forums for experience.

Off the top of my head what seemed to stand out was meo, lockbox and 1 password (sp?), but none was all around convincing or had enough good references.

If there are any users that have a contrarian approach to safety (the people who think a laptop with no wifi that never connects to the network being the only solution) I would love them to chime in, because it's important that we try to establish a realistic but practical approach to our data that will safeguard them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 02:40 PM

What you could do is put your sensitive information on another Unix/OS X based machine into a simple text file, and SSH into this machine via your iPhone to access this data, thereby creating a secure tunnel. If you feel iffy about having these files on a computer in plaintext you can encrypt them with GPG.

This sort of technique is a pretty standard way to store sensitive information securely, and in doing this you'll certainly remove a lot of doubt and legitimate reason for questioning your security providing you feel good about your iPhone SSH client.

Then again, I realize that an SSH client on an iPhone is a bit of a pain, although you can simplify this by setting up your SSH keys and perhaps setting up an alias command within your Unix shell to access this information - perhaps the letter "s" to cat your file or something like that.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 06:07 PM

I've been using 1Passwd for over a year and love it. According the them (worst reference but I'm lazy), their encryption is very strong.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I've been using 1Passwd for over a year and love it. According the them (worst reference but I'm lazy), their encryption is very strong.
Looks good, uses OpenSSL.

hab
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2010, 02:46 PM

I have been using SplashID [<http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/index.asp>] since my Palm days and have found the iPhone version to be a convenient and robust application.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2010, 08:44 PM

So this sort of app is two parts, right? Something on the device to keep the information protected, and a secure way to sync it. I've been wondering about something like a password protected "list of all my important stuff," but I seem to lack the vocabulary to describe it beyond what this discussion has managed. Beyond that, keeping the data up to date would have been my next question to ponder...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 08:49 PM

1Password FTW.

In connection with Dropbox, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2010, 09:58 PM

I second what Turtle said. Use 1Password and Dropbox together.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Yeah, both those apps kick butt, but 1Passwd is available for iPhone as well as for Mac. I assume you could sync them but I dunno (and I'm too lazy to look too - packing house in prep to move from west to east coast...ugh).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2010, 11:50 PM

Yes, the desktop app and the iPhone app sync with each other.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2010, 01:52 AM

Yes, the desktop app and the iPhone app sync with each other.
Yes, they sync via WiFi.

-t

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2010, 08:12 AM

I use both these apps on my Mac and iPhone. Are you implying they can work together in some way? They are two separate, standalone apps, right?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2010, 09:15 AM

Yes. They are separate apps. But they complement each other perfectly. I keep the 1Password database file on my Dropbox. That way it's always available on my Mac, and DropBox automatically keeps it backed up online after any change. Your account usernames and passwords are valuable and Dropbox is a great way to automatically keep them safe. Furthermore, since you can get to your Dropbox from computers other than your own (like work, friend's, and public computers) you always have secure access to your information even when your computer is not around.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 09:41 AM

Access of 1PWD via Dropbox on any PC is called 1PasswordAnywhere.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules