Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AV Cable Output Through VCR Solution! (It Works!)

AV Cable Output Through VCR Solution! (It Works!)
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 10:19 AM

I know there are already several topics in this thread about mirroring onto a TV via the Apple AV cable and about the inability to do this through a VCR because of copyright laws... But I think I found a solution and I just wanted to go ahead and throw it up here rather than wade through a hundred or so topics to find a good one to revive...

I discovered this solution of obtaining a mirrored picture on a TV (without RCA jacks) hooked to a VCR (with RCA jacks) by connecting the AV cable to the VCR RCA-in jacks, then turning the TV to channel 3 (or whatever it's setup to talk to the VCR on...you might also want to try the Video/VCR channel), and setting the VCR to LINE mode (or maybe LINE IN mode). This worked great as it allowed me to even play DVDs on the TV. I did have some problems where if I put the iBook to sleep, then woke it up and tried to play a DVD, the counter would just start flying really fast and I couldn't get the movie to play again without quitting and restarting the machine. But with a little tweaking, you should be able to get it to work.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: STAT ]
Apple user since 1987

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 12:17 PM

I will be trying this today and reporting back. I suspected there was a method also, but had not time to check it yet. I bet you are right. I will post back to confirm.
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by eTard:
<STRONG>I will be trying this today and reporting back. I suspected there was a method also, but had not time to check it yet. I bet you are right. I will post back to confirm.</STRONG>
IT WORKED!!!!
IT WORKED!!!!

Sure enough, I hooked the Apple cable to my VCR RCA ports on the front of the VCR (could have done back I suppose) - turned on the VCR and TV with TV set to channel 3 (in my case ti s 3) - and then I had to select Video 1 on my TV (my TV has 2 Video sources and my VCR takes Video 1 input on the backof the TV) - then I selected Line 2 (I have L1 and L2 on my VCR) as Line 1 did NOT work - Bam....there it was on the big screen via the VCR!

Just like Stat claimed...

STAT - you should edit your first post Title and add "it works" to the endso people will see it and read it.
eTard.....don't be one

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 12:40 PM

eTard,

See? I'm not as dumb as you might think from reading that logo hack thread.

BTW, did you try playing a DVD movie using the aforementioned setup? Like I said originally, I noticed some problems pausing, stopping, sleeping, etc. the movie and then trying to resume play. The counter on the DVD Controller would go berzerk and I couldn't get it to play properly without restarting (it might have been possible to eject and remount the disc or something, but I just went ahead and restarted). Anyway, that's the only thing that confused me...

Oh, and guys...don't forget that when you're playing a DVD movie, it's best to have the Energy Savings set to Better Performance and Faster Processor Speed and told not to sleep (although it shouldn't go to sleep on you while you're playing a movie). I noticed that with Better Conservation turned on (I was running it off the battery), the DVD would often pause for a second or two. Also, turning OFF Virtual Memory is said to help... Good luck!
Apple user since 1987

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 01:54 PM

Okay I know you people have been getting excited about being able to do this but really its always been able to do that!!!

Back in Oct 2000 When i got my iBook SE I wanted to watch a DVD on my Room's TV. Of course my TV doesn't have RCA ports so I hooked them to the Line in Ports on my VRC, then when you turn on the VRC most new ones have a specific channel assigned as the AUX/VIDEO source, in my case its channel 1 (zero if u have a channel 1 in your cable/sattelite system) then the TV would go blank... then when u plug the iBook in, voila.. Screen appears on the TV....

I always thought one could do this, I did this the very first day I had my iBook SE and i never noticed it was a big DEAL that you could't figure out how to do it.......

Well congrats to ya'all that now know how to acomplish this and have a great time playing DVD's on BIG screen TV's....... also turn off virtual memory and platinum sounds, you will get a much better DVD output..
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 01:56 PM

Dbl Post.. ((OmniWeb ))

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: RodriCO2000 ]
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 02:00 PM

We aren't as much excited about having found out how to hook the new iBook up to a TV at all as we are at finding out how to hook it up to a VCR that's then connected to a TV. People on here were recently saying that due to copyright, you couldn't watch DVD movies on a big TV via a VCR...WRONG. You can. You just have to tell the VCR to let the signal line go straight into the TV (LINE IN). Anyway...
Apple user since 1987

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 03:36 PM

OMG, I completely forgot I have front ports on my VCR and receiver.. Hrmm maybe now the cable will reach.. Anyway, I use my VCR as a bridge to connect my DVD player to my ancient (1970's) TV.. So I have the old-school coax cable going into the TV from the VCR which has the various RCA style inputs.. Same concept as connecting the iBook. If you want to listen to mp3s, you could just as easily connect the left and right (white and red..or is that red and white..) plugs to your receiver/stereo and just leave the yellow (video) plug dangling..

Btw, is it just me or did Apple put some seriously nice audio hardware into the new iBook? Heck, even the speakers sound pretty darn nice (nevermind bass..) but the headphone jack sounds gorgeous.. Powers my rather big Sennheiser headphones marvelously.

I love my iBook.
-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 07:18 PM

If you just want to get audio out of your iBook and into a stereo, you can buy a cheap little cable at RadioShack or something that has a 3.5 mm minijack on one end and male left & right RCA jacks on the other end. That'll keep you from having to use the expensive Apple AV cable.
Apple user since 1987

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>eTard,

See? I'm not as dumb as you might think from reading that logo hack thread.

</STRONG>
"dumb"...certainly not, "pushy" maybe a tad.

BTW, you also hit it on the head with the RodriCO2000 post in explaining that there were all these posts that claimed it could not be done, and it was not possible, blah..blah..blah. Guess they were wrong.

As for watching a DVD via the process, not yet. I just hooked it up and ran some apps and connected to the web to see if I could even pull it off. I will do the DVd watching tonight to see if I have similar whacky issues as you mention.
eTard.....don't be one

ddukes
Jun 26, 2001, 03:27 AM

<STRONG>

IT WORKED!!!!
IT WORKED!!!!

Sure enough, I hooked the Apple cable to my VCR RCA ports on the front of the VCR (could have done back I suppose) - turned on the VCR and TV with TV set to channel 3 (in my case ti s 3) - and then I had to select Video 1 on my TV (my TV has 2 Video sources and my VCR takes Video 1 input on the backof the TV) - then I selected Line 2 (I have L1 and L2 on my VCR) as Line 1 did NOT work - Bam....there it was on the big screen via the VCR!

Just like Stat claimed...

STAT - you should edit your first post Title and add "it works" to the endso people will see it and read it.</STRONG>
eTard,

Not to be much off topic but if your TV has video sources such as RCA and your VCR is plugged into the RCA then there is no need to put your TV on channel 3. In fact putting in on channel 3 does nothing.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: ddukes ]

motorhead99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2001, 01:41 PM

I don't understant what everyone is talking about, for me it just works. I watched a DVD last night on TV, through the VCR, and I was even able to record it to VHS.

From iBook to VCR (Line Input, RCA connector) and from VCR (Line Output) to TV Input (again using RCA cable). Going through the antenna cable and the TV tunner (cannel 3 or 4) is not a good idea since the signal gets worse (just a tiny bit).

I don't want to be rude, but before you post try to read your VCR/TV manuals. I guess it is true when they say 90% of people do not know how to program a VCR.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2001, 02:38 PM

I've done this dozens of times. Only I've set the tv to use the VCR's tuner to it's always fed from the VCR anyway. Then all I have to do is set the VCR to Front 1 and thats it. Easy!

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2001, 03:15 PM

so where were you all when people were posting a month ago that it was not possible for all sorts of reasons like the encoding on the DVDs? you didn't chime in then. after the fact doesn't help anything (but make us look foolish for our [now diminised] excitement...and that ain't no fun).
eTard.....don't be one

ddukes
Jun 27, 2001, 02:05 AM

<STRONG>so where were you all when people were posting a month ago that it was not possible for all sorts of reasons like the encoding on the DVDs? you didn't chime in then. after the fact doesn't help anything (but make us look foolish for our [now diminised] excitement...and that ain't no fun).</STRONG>
Sorry eTard. Your situation usually happens a lot. I think it's because we suffer from "Technology Fatigue Syndrome".

whodisbe
Jun 29, 2001, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by motorhead99:
<STRONG>I don't understant what everyone is talking about, for me it just works. I watched a DVD last night on TV, through the VCR, and I was even able to record it to VHS.

From iBook to VCR (Line Input, RCA connector) and from VCR (Line Output) to TV Input (again using RCA cable). Going through the antenna cable and the TV tunner (cannel 3 or 4) is not a good idea since the signal gets worse (just a tiny bit).

I don't want to be rude, but before you post try to read your VCR/TV manuals. I guess it is true when they say 90% of people do not know how to program a VCR.</STRONG>

I've tried that method, doesn't always work, it just depends on the DVD you are playing. Or maybe, your VCR is what's allowing the signal through. On my VCR, I can hook up the iBook via the RCAs, and out to the tv via RCAs and it works fine half the time. The other half, if I hit record on the vcr, the tv screen goes blue Guess I shouldn't be hitting record, huh?

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 11:19 AM

Scary.. I was just reading about MacroVisions copyright system in anticipation of my iBook which is coming tomorrow!

Glad someone's got a good solution!

Thanks!

Neil
I no longer have a signature.

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 11:38 PM

My understanding (based on secondhand experience) is that the issue is in the Macrovision copy protection used in some (most?) DVDs. My boss has a Pismo PB with DVD, and when he connected the video cable through his VCR the image would fade in and out. When he connected it directly to the AV inputs on the TV the problem disappeared. I don't have a DVD equipped laptop to try, but I would be surprised if you didn't run into this on at least some DVDs.

$.02

Forum Links
Forum Rules