Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Microsoft issues RTM build of Windows 10, USB distribution revealed

Microsoft issues RTM build of Windows 10, USB distribution revealed
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 17, 2015, 09:40 AM

Microsoft has reportedly completed its Release to Manufacturing (RTM) build of Windows 10, in preparation for the operating system's July 29 launch. The RTM launch is one of a few items surfacing as Microsoft gets closer to the launch, with the company also making it easier for customers to use and install Windows 10, by making it available on USB drives in stores shortly after the launch takes place.

The RTM milestone has the build number 10240, reports ZDNet, a reference to the recurring number that appears in storage and other areas of the computing industry. The build has also been released to Windows Insiders, on both the fast and slow update rings, with Microsoft warning that future builds will only be available through Windows Update.

The process of updating the OS has also changed, with The Register noticing in the EULA that Microsoft will force updates on Windows 10 systems, except for Enterprise Edition users. While the requirement to accept the installation of automatic updates in theory makes Windows 10 more secure from online threats, it does have the potential issue of breaking installed software in some cases, something which users will no longer be able to avoid by deferring updates to a later time.

Lastly, VentureBeat has confirmed through Microsoft that a rumor it would be offering Windows 10 on USB drives as true. The option will be available in stores "shortly after launch," advised a spokesperson, with retail prices said to be the same as for Windows 8.1. The addition of USB drive distribution allows users to bypass the need for a DVD drive to install the software, something that many notebooks now lack.

Pre-order pages for Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Pro on USB flash drives have been spotted on Amazon, with a release date of August 30, and a price of $120 and $200 respectively.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2015, 09:49 AM

I certainly hope the free, online upgrade to Windows 10 for existing Windows 7 and 8 users allows creating USB install media somehow -- otherwise, a wipe-and-restore (something every power user is familiar with) is going to involve going through an entire reinstall of Windows 7 or 8, then another download-upgrade-install back to 10.

aroxnicadi
Jul 17, 2015, 10:32 AM

I'm not a Windows user per-say, but has MS got rid of DLL's on their OS?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 17, 2015, 10:33 AM

By name, but not by feature. The concept still exists.

aroxnicadi
Jul 17, 2015, 10:59 AM

I would have thought by now they would have redesigned the OS altogether and got rid of them (dlls or what ever they are called). I moved to Mac's in 07 because the OS was such a piece of crap even though I was running XP Pro and they have had eight years and they wasted it on the same old design. I do have it 8.1 installed on one of my Mac's with Parallels but hardly ever really fire it it up and have never dug deep into it to see what might have changed over the years but for what I have seen it's not very intuitive to get around in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules