Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Home network printing trouble with HP 2600n.

Home network printing trouble with HP 2600n.
nickhos38
Aug 28, 2006, 12:01 AM

I have a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 and a 600MHz iBook (G3).

Both computers have the latest drivers for my 2600n and both are running OS X 10.4.7.

The printer is connected to my 5-port Linksys Ethernet Hub, which is connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station. The Airport Extreme is the router for my home network (wired and/or wireless).

I have no trouble printing to the 2600n from my PowerBook, either wired or wirelessly.

My problem is that the iBook will not print. Both wired and wireless attempts to print to the 2600n from the iBook seem to fail. The printer app that opens when I try to print from iBook briefly reads "Looking for Printer 'HP Color LaserJet 2600n.'" Then it seems to time out and automatically stops the print queue for the printer. If I try to (re)start the print queue, it basically does the same thing.

One bit of information that may or may not be helpful: I can access the printer utility at the 2600n's IP address (10.0.1.5) in Safari from the iBook.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 12:31 AM

Is the iBook on the same subnet as the PowerBook (in your Network settings)? Does your printer require AppleTalk, and if so, is AppleTalk enabled on the iBook?

nickhos38  (op)
Aug 28, 2006, 07:28 AM

Selo, thank you for trying to help me with this. As far as I can tell, both computers are on the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). I do not know if the printer requires AppleTalk. Nevertheless, AppleTalk is not active on either computer.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by nickhos38
Selo, thank you for trying to help me with this. As far as I can tell, both computers are on the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). I do not know if the printer requires AppleTalk. Nevertheless, AppleTalk is not active on either computer.
My pleasure. OK, so neither of those would appear to be the problem.

Perhaps the problem is that you've attached the printer to the hub but the setup lacks a print server, which is either present internally on the printer or is a separate, external device.

Have you tried deleting and re-adding the printer using the Printer Setup Utility? If the printer is attached to one machine via USB (as opposed to via the hub), you may need to enable Printer Sharing on the machine to which it is attached physically (System Preferences --> Sharing) before adding the printer on the iBook. Try that instead and see if it works.
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 28, 2006 at 08:06 AM. )

nickhos38  (op)
Aug 28, 2006, 08:17 AM

The printer's USB cable is not connected. It is only directly connected to the hub via a CAT5.

This is a network printer designed to be used by multiple computers (I paid extra money for the 2600n than the standard 2600 model to have this networking option). I am assuming it has an internal print server. I could be wrong.

I just removed and re-added the printer on the iBook. Same problem.

I did enable printer sharing on the PowerBook. Then I removed the printer and re-added it from the "Shared Priner" connection (as opposed to "Bonjour" connection) on the iBook. SUCCESS!

Does this mean that there is no print server in the printer?

When I click add printer and it brings up the printer browser on the iBook, I see two listings for the 2600n. The connection for those two listings reads "Shared Printer." There is also a third listing for the 2600n, but its connection is "Bonjour." Does anyone have any additional information about all this so that I can understand it better? Thank you.
( Last edited by nickhos38; Aug 28, 2006 at 08:32 AM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 08:34 AM

The printer's USB cable is not connected. It is only directly connected to the hub via a CAT5.

This is a network printer designed to be used by multiple computers (I paid extra money for the 2600n than the standard 2600 model to have this networking option). I am assuming it has an internal print server. I could be wrong.
Apple changed the named of its zero-configuration networking system from Rendezvous to Bonjour a few years ago (thank the lawyers for that one). I imagine you probably *do* have a print server in there somewhere, but it is not configured in such a way that Bonjour can detect it automatically.

Ultimately, a printer-server setup is superior to what you now have because that way you can print from the iBook even when the PowerBook is off. But at least you have it working. Check your printer's manual. It may listen IP address you can point your web browser to in order to configure it via a browser-based control panel.

nickhos38  (op)
Aug 28, 2006, 08:53 AM

Selo, thanks again for all your help. Yes, I can access the utility/control panel through Safari. Is there something there I can do to make the printer usable with Bonjour?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 09:19 AM

Selo, thanks again for all your help. Yes, I can access the utility/control panel through Safari. Is there something there I can do to make the printer usable with Bonjour?
Well, Bonjour isn't what will help you the most, I think. Better you should figure out how to assign an IP address to the printer's internal print server (or set it for DHCP), then create a new "network" printer at that address, making sure that the IP is in the same range as the IPs for your two laptops and that it has the same subnet, too. Be sure to write down the IP address that you pick, because you will also need it to access the interface again once you've done it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 09:47 AM

The printer needs a static IP to be findable all the time. Otherwise Bonjour will have to search for it just about every time you try to use it. The 2600n DOES have a print server, but it's generic, not Apple specific, so it may not be shouting "I'm a printer here!" in a way Bonjour can hear. A fixed IP (not in the same range as the DHCP server's addresses!) should straighten things out for you. And as seolwitch says WRITE DOWN THE ADDRESS. I've made the mistake of "expecting to remember" the address of several devices I've set up in my home network, and of course I was wrong every time!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
WRITE DOWN THE ADDRESS
Yeah. Ever get the feeling that I've failed to do that in the past and regretted it big time?

nickhos38  (op)
Aug 28, 2006, 12:16 PM

UPDATE on this issue:

I turned off Printer Sharing and forced myself to find an alternative solution. Setting a static IP for the printer was unsuccessful. I hate static IPs anyway for the very reason that you have to write them down and guard them like your children, so I'm glad it didn't work.

While deleting and adding the 2600n under Printer Setup Utility, I ran into a problem with the application locking up when I tried to add a printer. I went to index and downloaded their utility to fix Printer Setup Utility. This did not help resolve any of my problems. I deleted the program.

Then I created a new test user on the computer. Both problems (can't print and can't add printer) occurred under the new user. So, under the new user account, I reset the Printer Setup Utility (which I had done multiple times before under my original user account, but to no avail) and completely removed all files in the Library folder, Receipts folder, and Frameworks folder pertaining to printers or printing. Then I restarted my computer, restarted my printer, reopened Printer Setup Utility, reinstalled the printer driver, and added the 2600n printer through Printer Setup Utility. This solved my problem. I can now print from both computers with Printer Sharing turned off.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I hope this update helps everyone else as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 04:27 PM

Wow. That was a lot to do-but actually a simple fix. I assume you can use the printer in ALL user accounts now?

Great job!

nickhos38  (op)
Sep 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

ANOTHER UPDATE on this issue:

After the elaborate fix, printing was working fine from both the iBook and my PowerBook (under all user accounts). Last night, however, my wife tried printing something from the iBook. This was the first attempt to print from the iBook since (we assumed) the problem had been resolved.

The print failed. The same problem was occurring.

I removed the Printers folder, the 2600n's file in the Receipts folder, and the framework file, all from within the hard drive's library file. Then I re-downloaded hp's latest driver for the 2600n from their website, installed the driver, and tried to print. This did not work.

Long story short, I eventually repeated that some procedure, only this time I used the hp driver from my original install disk. Now my printing appears to be working as I would like it to.

So, at some point, I must have installed the newer driver from hp's website on the iBook. The new driver must not work properly-- that is, at least on the iBook, because it works fine on my PowerBook G4. I contacted hp about this and told them everything that had happened. They opened a case number for me and are going to follow up with me tomorrow to make sure the problem does not occur again using the older driver.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:15 PM

Last night, however, my wife tried printing something from the iBook.
Funny, that happens to me too, but only when my wife really needs to print something important. Otherwise, it works flawlessly. Murphy's Law, I guess. Who the heck was Murphy, anyway?

viaumaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by nickhos38 View Post
I used the hp driver from my original install disk. Now my printing appears to be working as I would like it to. The new driver must not work properly-- that is, at least on the iBook, because it works fine on my PowerBook G4.
Just wanted to confirm that this problem still exists. I ran into the same problem as above: my G3 iBook would not print to a networked 2600n when using the latest driver from hp.com. Trashing the new driver and installing from the CD worked fine.

Thankfully, I only had to beat my head against the wall for about ten minutes until I found this thread. That'll teach me to think I can save time by downloading a driver instead of digging for the install CD.

Thanks for the help!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Who the heck was Murphy, anyway?
Murphy was an optimist. In my experience, stuff works flawlessly until a) the boss wants to see it demonstrated, b) the deadline, which wasn't a problem and so you put off using the hardware to fulfill it, is now looming, or c) large amounts of money and/or life and limb depend on the hardware. This is why there are multiple, redundant systems in truly mission critical applications.

And remember, Mrs. Murphy is a mother. [QUOTE=viaumaster;3400333]That'll teach me to think I can save time by downloading a driver instead of digging for the install CD./QUOTE]Unfortunately, downloading the latest and greatest driver SHOULD be the best way to go. This means that HP has a lot of work to do to fix their current drivers. PLEASE report the problem to them so they can get started!

Forum Links
Forum Rules