Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Debating new Airport Extreme

Debating new Airport Extreme
nickhos38
Feb 27, 2007, 11:34 AM

I want the new Airport Extreme. My main reason for this is so that I can access my USB harddrive wirelessly. I also like the fact that I can hook-up a USB HUB.

I've noticed that some people have reservations about the new product 802.11n product. Most of these I am not concerned with. (I know my printer will be compatible, etc.)

I am, however, curious as to the following "fine print" that Apple seems to so consistently post on its webpages for 802.11n products: "Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network."

I currently have the old, flying saucer Airport Extreme, which I would ditch to get the above-mentioned features in the new model. I also currently have two old Airport Express devices on my network. (I use these frequently to play iTunes on different stereos.) However, I do not want to have to pay to update those Airport Express devices to the new 802.11n interface as well.

What would be the overall effect of the presence of these older 802.11g Airport Express devices on my network? Any opinions on whether it is worth it to upgrade my Airport Express devices (when an upgrade becomes available)?

(Note: I do not have any 802.11n computers on my network... yet. )
( Last edited by nickhos38; Feb 27, 2007 at 11:50 PM. )

Wagman849
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 12:33 PM

Did you mean 802.11n? AirportExpress is 802.11g. I think you have your Ns and Gs switched around?

-Wags

nickhos38  (op)
Feb 27, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wagman849 View Post
Did you mean 802.11n? AirportExpress is 802.11g. I think you have your Ns and Gs switched around?

-Wags
You are right! I did have the Ns and Gs mixed up! Thanks for catching that.

I edited the original post. It should make more sense now.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2007, 01:34 AM

If you're not utilizing the "N" yet, don't bother getting an AE Flat.

You won't be able to use the "N" only and keep your AE Express in your network. It will work if you B/G your new AE Flat, but then the only advantage you're gaining is maybe an increase in range, and it would work like your AE Dome.

Keep your AE Dome until you have need for the AE Flat.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 09:06 AM

I have some questions as well. . . how fast my isp speed has to be for me to enjoy the full benefits of 802.11n? I wanted to try this with my mbp(CD, I upgraded it with the n-card). But am put off by its many issues ...
we are all part of a masterplan.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
I have some questions as well. . . how fast my isp speed has to be for me to enjoy the full benefits of 802.11n? I wanted to try this with my mbp(CD, I upgraded it with the n-card). But am put off by its many issues ...
Your ISP is actually the bottleneck. Even the old school b cards running at 11 megs are faster than most ISP's can deliver. The advantages of g and n are most apparent in local area networks.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Your ISP is actually the bottleneck. Even the old school b cards running at 11 megs are faster than most ISP's can deliver. The advantages of g and n are most apparent in local area networks.
I am using my university's network, which according to the network utility, linkspeed is up to 100mb. Should be fair enough for n??

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 10:36 AM

I am using my university's network, which according to the network utility, linkspeed is up to 100mb. Should be fair enough for n??
Yup!

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Yup!
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am gonna let it sit. Since I ran the speedtest(www.speedtest.net). The upload and download speed could at most reach 3 mb ... doesn't sound like "n" to me, rite?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2007, 12:24 PM

Nope. That's a rate you could easily handle with B. But I don't think anyone expects to ONLY use their wireless network for Internet downloads. Sharing files between computers will be WAY FAST using N, particularly when compared to B or G networks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nickhos38  (op)
Feb 28, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrN79 View Post
It will work if you B/G your new AE Flat, but then the only advantage you're gaining is maybe an increase in range, and it would work like your AE Dome.
So when you say the "Flat" will work like the "Dome," do you mean that adding just one 802.11b or 802.11g device to the network slows the entire network down, or does it just slow down the connection with that device?

I still might fork over the $$ for the "Flat" merely for its ability to allow me to access a USB drive wirelessly. Will this feature be lost or significantly impaired if the "Flat" is operating like a "Dome?" I may buy a new laptop with 802.11n capabilities when Leopard is released.
( Last edited by nickhos38; Feb 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 12:37 PM

No. You're not getting data at 100Mbps. That speed you're quoting is simply the physical connection between your Mac and the network. It is totally unrelated to the speed at which you're getting data.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 12:43 PM

I just got the new Airport Extreme (N) three days ago. Rather than replacing my old flying saucer Airport Extreme (G), I put them side by side. The new base station is N only--I'm running two separate networks, G and N, so that each can achieve its maximum speed. The G base station is the DHCP server and the new base station is set to just be a bridge (it performs better as a bridge than a NAT server--see http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/airportn/).

This setup is fantastic. My new MacBook is getting speed like never before.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Nope. That's a rate you could easily handle with B. But I don't think anyone expects to ONLY use their wireless network for Internet downloads. Sharing files between computers will be WAY FAST using N, particularly when compared to B or G networks.
I misunderstood his network connection. You are right, N will be much faster than B and G on a LAN.

cms
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 04:14 PM

chabig is right. I have two networks running -- g and n -- and have obviously limited the n network to n-capable cards (my MacBook Pro and my daughter's late 2006 iMac). All other comps (Windoze and Macs) in the house run on the G network, as does my Airport Express with iTunes, my EyeHome media device which wirelessly streams movies to my TV, etc. The new Airport Extreme (n) is configured in bridge mode on a D-Link MIMO (g) router, and works an absolute treat. Prior to adding it to the network, my daughter's iMac's internet connection was like treacle. Now it gets a steady 9880 on a 10-meg cable connection, and data transfer between my MBP and the iMac is super-fast. I can see and print to network printers configured on the D-Link router from both g and n networks, and can access the USB network hard drive attached to my new Airport Express from anywhere on either network. I highly recommend limiting the n network to n-capable kit, and running it alongside the less speedy g (and a and b) cards to ensure every device gets the maximum benefit from having mixed ability network cards all running side by side.

mickeymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2007, 10:14 AM

It seems like the replies contain a good commentary on N vs. G, but I don't believe anyone has addressed the question put forth by the original.

Nickhos38, as I understand it, your main reason for considering the new N router is enhanced capabilities in hosting shared storage and printing via the onboard USB drive, but you are unsure if pursuing these new features with the new unit would cause issues with your existing G clients devices. Did I get this correct?

If that is your questions, I can tell you that your network will perform fine in G "mode" on the new router. Certainly, you don't get the speed of the draft N standard, but that doesn't seem to be important to you according to your post. The USB printing and storage features also work the same in this mode as the features are not a function of the wireless network mode.

In fact, this was my same reason for upgrading. I too have no current N devices, but I was intrigued by the new USB capabilities. So, that's why I upgraded to the new router. All my G clients connect with ease, and the USB printing and storage works perfectly. In the future, I'll have the capability to transition to the N side of the router as I upgrade my clients and the standard matures.

Good luck. I hope that helps.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by nickhos38 View Post
So when you say the "Flat" will work like the "Dome," do you mean that adding just one 802.11b or 802.11g device to the network slows the entire network down, or does it just slow down the connection with that device?

I still might fork over the $$ for the "Flat" merely for its ability to allow me to access a USB drive wirelessly. Will this feature be lost or significantly impaired if the "Flat" is operating like a "Dome?" I may buy a new laptop with 802.11n capabilities when Leopard is released.
Yes to your question, it will slow down to B/G speeds.

If you have both the Flat the Dome, and set it up as seperate "N" only and "B/G" only you won't be disappointed.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

plasmatico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 11:46 PM

I am currently using a cable modem which I connect using an ethernet cable; my speed as per speedtest.com is constantly above 3500kbs (d/l). Question is would I benefit, or not, or be the same, if I use a AE? My current router is a Linksys 54, I do not use anything wireless, but I guess with the AE my 24" iMac will connect w/l.

Appreciate your comments.

...Yes, I am new to Mac World.

nickhos38  (op)
Mar 8, 2007, 04:20 AM

Not to bump my old post, but I had a couple more questions that are related to my first post.

1) I know a USB hub can be used with the new Airport Extreme to connect to harddrives and printers. What about other USB devices? Keyboard? Scanner? The memory card reader for my digital camera? The new Pinnacle USB tuner devices (http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/03/...s.tv.tuners/)?

2) A few people have discussed bridging their "flat" with their older "dome." Are there instructions as to how I would go about setting this up?

Thanks.

ctj
Mar 8, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nickhos38 View Post
Not to bump my old post, but I had a couple more questions that are related to my first post.

1) I know a USB hub can be used with the new Airport Extreme to connect to harddrives and printers. What about other USB devices? Keyboard? Scanner? The memory card reader for my digital camera? The new Pinnacle USB tuner devices (MacNN | MacNN | The Macintosh News Network

2) A few people have discussed bridging their "flat" with their older "dome." Are there instructions as to how I would go about setting this up?

Thanks.
1) All available literature discusses printers & hard drives only. There is no reason to believe other USB items would work.

2) Yes, the document "Designing 802.11n networks" talks about this. It's on Apple's site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules