Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Yahoo CEO okays iPhone 5 or alternative as employee perk

Yahoo CEO okays iPhone 5 or alternative as employee perk
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 17, 2012, 07:54 PM

According to emails collected by Business Insider, CEO Marissa Mayer has offered every Yahoo employee a new Apple, Samsung, Nokia, or HTC smartphone. The plan, called "Yahoo! Smart Phones, Smart Fun" is intended to provide employees with the same class of device that Yahoo users are using.

By way of the obviously morale-boosting program, employees get to pick from the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X, HTC EVO 4G LTE, or Nokia Lumia 920. In addition to the phone, Yahoo will also pay for the employees' data and phone plans as well. Unfortunately for RIM, the move also will discontinue support for the more than 10,000 BlackBerry phones currently in use at the search engine. [via Business Insider]

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2012, 08:00 PM

Ummm..Yahoo doesn't provide anything for smartphones except 20 MB POP e-mail for $20 / year, right?
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2012, 11:31 PM

No, that's not correct. For starters, take a closer look at the default weather widget on your iPhone.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 04:11 AM

I agree. Yahoo still greedily charge POP and yet Google charge $0. The only work around is using Push Notification on smartphone which is free.
I don't think weather app is free either because Apple had signed some payment deal with Yahoo just like how they did with YouTube on Pre-iOS 6.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 05:01 AM

My @yahoo.com email address has IMAP connectivity, and it's free... I've never paid a dime for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules