Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini with 23" ACD or imac 20"

Mini with 23" ACD or imac 20"
waluigi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 09:36 AM

Hi!
I'm thinking about getting new setup, and there is two options : a Mac Mini with 23" Apple Cinema Display, or iMac 20" 2.0GHz. I don't have enough money to go for a 24" iMac (I can get this ACD monitor in a good price, I think), and I can wait some times for a better configs of iMac and Mini (maybe with the better graphic card, like X3100).
I see that many of you, have Macbook hooked up to ACD 23", but yeastrday I was playing with 2.0 mini with 1GB of ram on 23" (1920x1200) screen, and when I open more then 10 windows on on Space, expose didn't work fine (I can't tell that It was working smooth and well).

I want to use this setup about two years, than probably I will need some mobile machine (I'm sure it will be Pro mobile computer, like Macbook pro), so when this display will be enough in that time, i can stay with him hooked up into the MBP. What do you thing, will 1920x1200 be still a good resolution ?

I will work on it on some webdeveloper tasks (textmate), with small graphics (in CS3, web gfx or some pictures), watching movies (I hope in HD). But I'm thinking about playing with graphics more, in the begining hobbistic, just to learn something (some icons, small pictures, wallpapers)

So, tell me, which is the best choice for me, and will be 23" enough in 3-4 years (I know its looks like stupid question, but I would to use expensive display more then just 1-2 years )

Cheers guys, and sorry for my English

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 11:00 AM

Just to point out, the mini uses shared memory and the mini maxes out at 2gb. The iMac maxes out at 4gb memory and has its own graphics card. Anything graphics intensive will suffer under the mini. The iMac will serve you well for years. To save a little bit, would suggest you check out the refurbs apple offers. Those systems are repaired in the USA and come with the same warrenty as new. I have had 2 refurbs, 1 mini and a mac pro, and both run flawlessly. Bottom line is what you can afford and what your comfortable with. Good luck.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

waluigi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 11:35 AM

In my country (Poland) there isn't something like refurbs...
Apple Computers are also very expensive there, so thats why I'm looking for long time investment.
After two years, I'll go to collage, so probably I'll need an mobile computer - so after 2-2.5year, I'll go for MBP, and big screen. Do you think that prices of LCD will go down? And computer like MBP, will work fine for me for 3-4 years?

Cheers!

Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2008, 11:46 AM

It may not be the most modern, but the ACD will be fine in a couple years.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2008, 04:37 PM

the current mac mini can house 3gb of ram, get you facts straight before reporting them.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
the current mac mini can house 3gb of ram, get you facts straight before reporting them.
Apple - Mac mini - Technical Specs

You need to know what the hell your talking about before correcting someone!
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 08:40 PM

Yes, and we all know better; all Core 2 Duo Macs support at least 3GB (with 800Mhz FSB they support 4GB).

waluigi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yes, and we all know better; all Core 2 Duo Macs support at least 3GB (with 800Mhz FSB they support 4GB).
Have you got only Macbook Air, and it's plugged to ACD 23"?
How does this guy works?
Its smooth?

Cheers !

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't buy a mini now. They could be updated any day.

Or not.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

TravisReynolds
Mar 11, 2008, 02:15 AM

Go with the iMac, it's more powerful. plus you can use the feature Spaces to increase productivity with more screen space
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:05 AM

Instead of waiting for another two years and then trashing whatever you buy now, why not get a portable right now and start saving for an additional large external screen? A MBP with a 23" ACD is a killer combo. And if you're on a budget a MB with an inexpensive 24" Dell is still quite a nice setup.

But if it all boils down to mini vs. iMac I think you should go for the iMac. The mini is fine for headless use (like a media server in your basement) or to drive a TV or projector. I have one for just that purpose and I love it. But I would never use it as my everyday desktop Mac.

If you're looking for a desktop computer you will be using for hours every day the only thing going for the mini is that you could use a large high-quality screen you might already have. But seeing you don't have such a screen, why consider a mini when an iMac gets you much better performance (faster CPU, much better graphics performance, bigger and faster disk) and a beautiful screen all in a very sleek desktop package?

zjokke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 05:51 AM

Simon, for some people that might just not work. When you buy an iMac 24" and in two years a MBP, there's one big downside. You wouldn't be able to connect the (by then) very advanced MBP to that lovely 24" screen of the (by then) much slower iMac.
The Mini is outdated at this time, but most of us are very convinced an update is coming very soon (maybe even today). That one will have good enough specs to consider the Mini + ACD combination. That would give one the opportunity to use that lovely 23" screen once the MBP comes along.
( Last edited by zjokke; Mar 11, 2008 at 06:17 AM. )
zjokke
=:-)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by zjokke View Post
Simon, for some people that might just not work. When you buy an iMac 24" and in two years a MBP, there's one big downside. You wouldn't be able to connect the (by then) very advanced MBP to that lovely 24" screen of the (by then) much slower iMac.
Certainly. But you sell off that iMac at a decent price because in two years from now people will still like 24" screens and 2.5 GHz Penryns (the iMac update will happen soon).

The Mini is outdated at this time, but most of us are very convinced an update is coming very soon (maybe even today). That one will have good enought specs to consider the Mini + ACD combination.
The mini will most definitely be updated (expect something like a T8100: 2.1 GHz Penryn, 3 MB L2, 29W TDP). But even then it will stay what it is now: the cheapest and poorest performing Mac. Especially its slow notebook HDD is just not very encouraging in the desktop area. If you are going for that kind of performance and you would still need to buy a new monitor to actually use it, why not get a MB instead? At least then you have a portable Mac (which the OP claims he will want in two years from now) with easy to upgrade/swap RAM and HDD.

That would give one the opportunity to use that lovely 23" screen one the MBP comes along.
Definitely. But that lovely 23" screen would also work just as well with a MB or MBP today.

The point I'm trying to argue here is that the mini is great if
• you already have a very nice monitor or
• you want to use it as a headless Mac.
But if that's not the case and you want a real desktop computer, you have to invest a lot of money, making the mini by far not as cheap as it might appear in the beginning and even then, you're stuck with the weakest Mac you can buy. Other Macs start out more expensive, but as everyday computers they offer a lot more.

iMac 20" 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 8xSD $1199
Mac mini 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, 8xSD plus a 20" ACD $1298 (obviously a Dell 20" would be cheaper though)
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 11, 2008 at 06:22 AM. )

zjokke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 06:54 AM

Like always, it comes down to personal preference and budget.
Don't forget, Macs are a lot more expensive in Europe than in the US (Cheapes iMac: 1199€ = 1840$ !)
A 23" + MacBook is not a budget solution, certainly not if you don't need portability as of today.
To me, the Mini will be a great computer (once updated). I just don't like to buy a Mac (iMac) which won't give me the choice to update the computer and keep the screen. If Apple would have put a DVI input on the iMac, that would be a completely different story.

To bad, no new Minis or iMacs today. Store is back up - don't know if any updates are available though...
zjokke
=:-)

waluigi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:39 AM

Now I think this way - get an iMac when It'll be updated (I can wait a month or so, because I don't want computer so much at the moment so much - I have time to end of May), work on it for two years and start saving for MBP + 23" or bigger screen, after two years sold and iMac, use saved money to byt MBP and big screen, enjoy It for next 3/4 years.

The Cinema Display looks really perfect and beauty (that's one of the most beauftiful things I have ever seen, especially with a Mac Pro ), but It's pretty old, so maybe in two years, we will get a bigger screens with better resolution in the same price (I'm thinking ONLY about Apple Dispalys - sorry, maybe It's stupid, but I'm really big fan of their design, and look is very important for me ), am I thinking good?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2008, 07:34 PM

I have a 24" Dell display which i have used with my antique 17" G4 Powerbook, which works fine for everyday use, but is getting very long in the tooth. Once the mini is updated I plan to get a mini for home and connecting to the 24" display, boost it to 4GB ram and that should do me fine for home stuff. Later in the year I will replace my 17" PB with something smaller and lighter for my work and travels.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by waluigi View Post
Have you got only Macbook Air, and it's plugged to ACD 23"?
How does this guy works?
Its smooth?
It works quite well for me; search the forums for my posts on it in other threads.

Houston2007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I wouldn't buy a mini now. They could be updated any day.

Or not.
I got my mac Mini on the 2nd of February. I won $750 on Texas Lottery Pick-3 and I been want a Mac the best I can afford is the Mac Mini. I love it the only thing I want to do is put 4GB PC5300 Samsung Memory OEM for Apple. It will not utilize but 3.2GB but I will still have 128-bit address because I have the equal pairs such as (2 x 2GB). Also when I get the chance to put the New 500GB Samsung 9.5mm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive announced in January. I been using iPhoto, iTunes (Buying Music and Videos like crazy) but I been really using Garageband and I have ALL 6 Jam Packs! I made tracks that I'm about to publish soon. I really want to get the 23" Cinema Display but I want to either have that memory installed before or get the monitor at the same time. The Mac Mini is doing it's thing but before the year is over I will defintely move to a Mac Pro, by then I put the Mac Mini in the Bedroom and use it on the LCD Flat Panel. My advice is go do it with the Mac Mini with 23" then upgrade to something more powerful like Mac Pro or MacBook Pro later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules