Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more. (Page 7)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 06:40 AM

I posted this in the iOS forum but that thread seems to have gone cold.

Does anyone else think the Watch will provide a platform for some much more interesting companion apps? By companion I mean apps that go with big movie releases, console games or special events.

I can see a Silent Hill game making excellent use of the Watch to scare the crap out of you even more effectively by monitoring your heart rate so it knows when its lulled you into a false sense of security.
Same trick could potentially make for some interesting interactive Smart Movies©. Not necessarily changing the plot by letting you vote or anything like that, just having extra shots to hand so they can adjust the pacing and tailor it to their audience. Might not work in theatres but could be a nice driver for Apple TV.
A chase sequence in a horror or thriller would be perfect. Shoot the different scenes with a variety of different lengths, have a couple of rest scenes where the here gets to take a breather (again for a variable amount of time) and use the app to determine how to drag the chase out (or not) and when to insert the breathers for maximum shock value.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2014, 07:48 AM

That sounds simultaneously super interesting and utterly terrible
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2014, 08:17 AM

I think Apple will open its Watch very slowly to developers, starting with what they believe a smart watch should do (actionable notifications, etc.). As the capabilities of the hardware expand and the OS (Watch OS?) matures, developers get more and more access.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I was just looking at Apple's iPhone6 site and almost all the side-profile pictures of both sizes dont have the protruding camera lens. It's almost like they were just photoshopped out. Very misleading and dodgy IMHO
Apple is hiding an embarrassing iPhone 6 camera bulge(The Verge)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think Apple will open its Watch very slowly to developers, starting with what they believe a smart watch should do (actionable notifications, etc.). As the capabilities of the hardware expand and the OS (Watch OS?) matures, developers get more and more access.
I know the NFC equipment is off limits at the moment but I was under the impression that everything else is fair game. you need Apple to allow your app access to anything they consider health data so I'm not sure what they will allow or not but my guess is that harmless entertainment apps would be fine as long as they demonstrate that they aren't storing data and as long as they give the user the choice of whether to share or not Apple should be fine with that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 10:37 AM

It's almost like they were just photoshopped out.
Technically, nothing was photoshopped out.
All the "pictures" that Apple supplies are HD renderings, not actual photographs. They just didn't include the bulge in the rendering.

Very misleading and dodgy IMHO
Agreed,.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2014, 10:40 AM

I agree that it's shady, but their excuse could be that they are showing you the phone at a 92º angle instead of a perfect 90º angle and that's why the tiny bulge is not visible.

That's stupid as hell and still fundamentally dishonest, but also technically not lying.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Technically, nothing was photoshopped out.
All the "pictures" that Apple supplies are HD renderings, not actual photographs. They just didn't include the bulge in the rendering.
I'm pretty sure that all the pictures Apple supplies are actual photographs, not HD renderings.

The illusion of simplicity: photographer Peter Belanger on shooting for Apple | The Verge

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
That sounds simultaneously super interesting and utterly terrible
I know what you mean. I'm sure someone will come up with something cool though. But there will also be lameness.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm pretty sure that all the pictures Apple supplies are actual photographs, not HD renderings.

The illusion of simplicity: photographer Peter Belanger on shooting for Apple | The Verge
Some "pictures" show parts of the screen, and the resolution seems much higher than what you would get in real life. Maybe a simulated screen was photoshopped in ?

Regardless, I would actually find it WORSE of it was an actual photograph, and then the camera was 'shopped out, as compared to doing a rendering that didn't have the camera included in the first place.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Some "pictures" show parts of the screen, and the resolution seems much higher than what you would get in real life. Maybe a simulated screen was photoshopped in ?

Regardless, I would actually find it WORSE of it was an actual photograph, and then the camera was 'shopped out, as compared to doing a rendering that didn't have the camera included in the first place.

-t
There's something to be said for the amount of effort that goes into a lie, but I don't think this is one of those cases.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2014, 07:02 PM

I had an Apple watch almost 20 years ago.

Limited apps though. Mostly Time.*

* Only Time.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 10:37 AM

Well the first reviews are rolling in. As expected, it's simply bigger and seemingly better in most respects, assuming one is fine with the larger form factor; also as expected, the real route to a "better iPhone" increasingly looks like it will be through iOS itself, as most complaints really seem to stem from interaction, not the hardware itself.

Also, the camera looks phenomenal.

The Verge:
Everything is better and nothing is different.

That’s the story of the iPhone 6. Apple took this opportunity to upgrade nearly everything about the device, from Wi-Fi to LTE to build quality to the already remarkable camera. And since it has a big-enough screen but still works well in one hand and fits snugly in my pocket, this is a device that almost every phone buyer on the planet will at least consider. The iPhone 6 is utterly without obvious problems or drawbacks — it’s going to be a huge hit. I’m going to buy one. (Space Gray, 64GB, Verizon, in case you were wondering.)

Yet there’s nothing truly ambitious here, no grand vision of the future or of a new way of living in the present. Apple doesn’t have better ideas about how to make use of more display real estate, or how to help users navigate a bigger device. It’s not on the precipice of offering a new kind of do-it-all computer, as it might be with the iPhone 6 Plus. The latest iPhones could have been a chance for Apple to really re-examine what smartphone hardware should be, but Apple just built a bigger iPhone. Because that’s what people wanted.

For a variety of reasons, from the camera to the app ecosystem to the hardware itself, the iPhone 6 is one of the best smartphones on the market. Maybe even the best. But it’s still an iPhone. The same thing Apple’s been making for seven years. A fantastically good iPhone, but an iPhone through and through.

mindwaves
Sep 19, 2014, 08:08 AM

I played with the iPhone 6 Plus today and came back impressed. I didn't play with it for more than 2 mins, but I loaded some Safari windows (3) along with another app and saw whether or not Safari would reload its windows due to the 1GB (just about confirmed memory) of the phone. Suffice to say, the windows did have to reload, which was disappointing, but probably no more than what my current iPhone 5 does.

But when playing a game and then switching to Safari and then back to the game, the game will almost definitely have to reload. None of the reviews touched on this fact, which is odd.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 08:11 AM

Very disappointing.

You'd think a brand new iPhone would not have 2010 like refreshes.
If Apple can't / wont put more RAM in it, they should at least optimize the software.
User experience with Safari is going to continue to be subpar.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 11:24 AM

Just had an idea for an Apple ad....

After seeing Samsung's rather poor attempt to ridicule and stereotype Apple's customers who wait in line for a launch, etc...

I'd like to see an ad from Apple
-that starts out by highlighting a meticulous design process, and obsession with details
-and then talking about the goal being a product people will "want".
-and then thanking customers for their patronage and enthusiasm and that every company wishes they could have such customers. (a subtle dig at the competitors)
-maybe mention that some other competitors spend a lot more on advertizing, but in the end its about the product.
-"only exceptional products can create such enthusiasm"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2014, 11:33 AM

Joan Rivers has endorsed the iPhone 6 from beyond the grave

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:17 PM

Nice. Just like all of those "spur-of-the-moment" tweets that popped up during the keynote.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 PM

You'll NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED at the FIRST iPHONE UNBOXING in Perth, Australia:

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You'll NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED at the FIRST iPHONE UNBOXING in Perth, Australia:

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
Spoiler Alert: There was an iPhone inside

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 12:54 PM

You'll never believe what happens at 1:27!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
You'll never believe what happens at 1:27!
1:28 comes next?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
1:28 comes next?
Dude, no spoiler tags? WTF?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Dude, no spoiler tags? WTF?
It was a guess

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2014, 09:57 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2014, 10:37 AM

Yup, that's an iPhone alright

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2014, 12:03 PM

Two iPhones, in fact.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2014, 12:19 PM

Some guys at work got theirs, and the "space gray" back reminds me a lot of the original iPhone's back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 PM

After being beaten with the ugly stick.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 01:24 PM

They're rather bulky and bloated in person. Compare the 6 to the new Moto X, same size but the 6 has a substantially smaller display (and the 1080p AMOLED display on the Moto is freaking drop-dead gorgeous).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2014, 02:33 PM

I was thinking about getting the new X, but then the Nexus 6 is rumoured to be a re-badged X so I'll be waiting. I still might pick up a 6 Plus, to play with the camera.

mindwaves
Sep 22, 2014, 11:00 PM

I'm going to get a regular 6, but I am hesitant about the 1GB memory ceiling. If the 6 plus had 2GB, I would be getting the 6 plus.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I'm going to get a regular 6, but I am hesitant about the 1GB memory ceiling. If the 6 plus had 2GB, I would be getting the 6 plus.
I was hoping for a bump in RAM too but I'm over it. Still going with 6+ with 128GB.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2014, 09:36 AM

Agreed - the 1Gb memory issue is really the only significant problem I can point to in iOS devices at the moment. My new iPad is awesome in every way - except for the incredibly frustrating and highly annoying page refresh problems.

(I tried Chrome as someone else here recommended - seemed a bit better with the refresh problem, but at the expense of many more crashes. Can't win for losing, yadda yadda yadda.)

mindwaves
Sep 23, 2014, 10:29 PM

I've noticed that Opera mini (or is it Opera) for iPhone refreshes less than Safari, so you can try that. It caches (or fetches differently), so it can hold more pages in memory, at least from the user's perspective.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2014, 01:33 PM

I put iOS 8 on my iPad 2. Regretting it so far, definitely slower and more app refreshes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I'm cutting mine off at 7. I don;t use it anymore anyway. It is now "the children's iPad".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2014, 05:09 PM

I'd love an excuse to get a new iPad Air (or even a refurb 4) but I have no good reason. The 2 works great and the battery still lasts forever. Plus wifey had my name engraved on the back so resale value is a bit diminished...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I put iOS 8 on my iPad 2. Regretting it so far, definitely slower and more app refreshes.
I reverted back to 7.12 on the iPad 2. First time in over 20 years with Apple that I've gone backwards.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2014, 07:53 PM

The ipad 2 is close to 3.5 years old, isn't it? In "mobile years" that's probably ~150.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd love an excuse to get a new iPad Air (or even a refurb 4) but I have no good reason. The 2 works great and the battery still lasts forever. Plus wifey had my name engraved on the back so resale value is a bit diminished...
Dat screen doe...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I reverted back to 7.12 on the iPad 2. First time in over 20 years with Apple that I've gone backwards.
I just did the same. Luckily I hadn't backed up with iOS 8 yet so I was able to grab the IPSW from here and restore from my last backup.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The ipad 2 is close to 3.5 years old, isn't it? In "mobile years" that's probably ~150.
It originally came with iOS 4, but even iOS 7 works perfectly with no noticeable issues or slowdowns. That's why I'm surprised to find iOS 8 so completely unusable. I was trying to copy a URL from Safari and paste it into Facebook. But each time I switched apps, the app had to completely refresh, and even after copying the text in Safari several times, whenever I'd switch back to Facebook, the clipboard's contents would revert to what was last copied before the Safari text.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2014, 10:24 AM

Yeah, iOS 8 is more bloated compared to 7, and that's the difference between 512MB of RAM vs 1GB. The iPad 3 is likely just as bad, if not worse, due to the higher res being even more of a resource hog.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 11:00 AM

They kept the iPad 2 around a little too long I think. Great device but if you don't keep pace with the tech you end up having to hobble the software.

P
Sep 25, 2014, 02:55 PM

They still sell the iPad mini, which is the same internally (except for the camera and some finicky details in the radio chip, I think the WiFi iPad 2 has GPS but the mini doesn't and things like that). That has to work. Apple needs to fix iOS 8 performance on the A5.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They still sell the iPad mini
Probably not for long, though. iPad event coming up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2014, 06:09 PM

When has a new OS been smaller than the previous version.

"iOS 8 is bloated compared to iOS 7". No kidding?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
When has a new OS been smaller than the previous version.

"iOS 8 is bloated compared to iOS 7". No kidding?
I know it's a revelation, but some OSes streamline and become more optimized from one version to the next, ie. Android 4 compared to 3 (and 4.3 compared to 4.2), Windows 7 compared to Vista (and 8.1 compared to 8). iOS obviously didn't.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 08:01 PM

Windows 7 seems pretty bloated a lot of the time. The genius move to only remove extraneous software update files when you apply a service pack (and then only release one service pack) seems to be a common reason but by no means the only one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules