Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 125)
P
Mar 3, 2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This is actually an excellent point.

I've played Mass Effect 1 and 2, but never tried out the Dragon Age games. Are any of them work a pick-up in 2017 (I'm sure they're on sale all the time).
The original Dragon Age: Origins is still worth playing, and still feels modern. It borrows quite heavily from Game of Thrones, then only a book series and not TV yet, which means it has aged well. The combat system is also a nice system with a few complex interactions between spells. Downside is the engine which puts you completely on rails and then tries to hide it. You can only use the pre-defined corridors, much like NWN or something, but the game tries its damnedest to make you not notice overmuch by giving you environments that are corridor-based anyway.

DA2 should be avoided like the plague. There is nothing good about this game, and the gameplay in particular is non-existent.

DA:I is not bad, per se, but it is more of an off-brand Skyrim than anything else, and the story just isn't very good.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2017, 08:03 PM

Watching a Switch stream and people trying to mimic the video motion controls and failing already. 10 years of this shit.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Who bought a Switch?
I did! Complete impulse buy. It was sold out everywhere but my local Target had 20 in stock. Picked it up with Zelda during my lunch break. You know what I'm playing all weekend... Destiny.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Pogomwg
Mar 7, 2017, 01:41 AM

Not sure if this is against the rules or not. If so please accept my apologies and delete the message.

We are looking for new people to join us in a browser based game. Its a geo-political game. You can run for office, own companies employee workers and fight for your country. The US is pretty weak compared to other companies in the game and are looking to get new players playing. That being said people from all countries are welcome. If it sounds interesting come join us. We will be happy to help you get started. Thanks for your time.

Ref: https://www.erevollution.com/en/register/73131
iBook G4 1.42 60GB 768mb. G5 iPod Video White 30 Gig.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 15, 2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pogomwg View Post
The US is pretty weak compared to other companies in the game and are looking to get new players playing.
Ha.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2017, 03:42 PM

Anyone else play Rocket League's new mode, Dropshot, yet?

I've been playing doubles about 4 nights per week for the last several months, and I didn't give Dropshot much thought, but holy crap, is that mode fun. I was initially skeptical, and I'm not sure how long the novelty will last, but the concept is so much better in practice.

Rumor
Mar 26, 2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I am going to preorder it in a couple weeks. I think it is going to be awesome. The game play videos make it look really good even though that is the point of them.
Playing it now. Combat system is interesting, and a lot faster than previous iterations. Story is okay. Squad mates don't seem to have as much input. Facial animations are bad. The lead character always look like he is about to make a joke during a serious situation or just farted.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Mar 27, 2017, 04:32 AM

Playing it now. Combat system is interesting, and a lot faster than previous iterations. Story is okay. Squad mates don't seem to have as much input. Facial animations are bad. The lead character always look like he is about to make a joke during a serious situation or just farted.
That would be ME:A, yes? What platform are you playing on?

It seems to be suffering from a lack of polish. The facial animations are the joke of the gaming side of the 'net right now. Wonder if they will clean this up with a patch, or if they think it's fine?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Rumor
Mar 27, 2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That would be ME:A, yes? What platform are you playing on?

It seems to be suffering from a lack of polish. The facial animations are the joke of the gaming side of the 'net right now. Wonder if they will clean this up with a patch, or if they think it's fine?
Playing on xBox One. A patch is coming to fix a lot of things. The character creator customization as well. Also to fix some of the jankyness when driving around planets. The game is pretty and there is a lot to do.

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Mar 28, 2017, 04:01 AM

Most people seem to agree that it is DA:I in space. I think I'll pick it up on a sale some time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2017, 09:50 AM

GTA V Has sold 80 million. Will soon overtake pack-in Wii Sports for third best-selling game of all time.

P
May 23, 2017, 11:19 AM

Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild is outselling the Switch, the only console it is available for. OK...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2017, 11:22 AM

Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild is outselling the Switch, the only console it is available for. OK...
I've read the explanation on this: hardcore fans buying collector editions to keep sealed and the edition to play. Makes strange sense

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I've read the explanation on this: hardcore fans buying collector editions to keep sealed and the edition to play. Makes strange sense
It's also available for Wii U.

GTA V Has sold 80 million. Will soon overtake pack-in Wii Sports for third best-selling game of all time.
That's pretty bananas

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's also available for Wii U.
I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to separate by SKU

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2017, 12:17 PM

Which would also indicate a near 100% attach rate to the Switch?

Yeah, it does make sense due to the quality of the game, but holy crap...

P
May 25, 2017, 03:23 AM

There is little other reason to get a Switch at this point, so if you don't like Zelda, you might as well wait. I guess that the Mario Kart port is out now and someone might buy that, but Zelda must be the main draw still.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2017, 02:24 AM

So uh, new Xbox? E3? This thing on?

P
Jun 12, 2017, 03:51 AM

Xbox One X. Seriously? I mean I think it is a good design focused on the right things, but the naming is abysmal.

So the thing Bioware seems to have been working on is a Destiny ripoff. Don't care.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2017, 09:59 AM

Haven't seen this many Xs since BMX XXX

P
Jun 12, 2017, 11:18 AM

The name is actually meta - the initials are "XBOX".

So a new Assassin's Creed, let's see if they can rescue that series. Bethesda reheats old stuff for VR.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2017, 11:40 AM

That just makes it more confusing. XB1 and XBOX

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2017, 02:00 PM

New Metro game has raised an eyebrow for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbqlv...ature=youtu.be

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2017, 02:47 AM

Haven't seen this many Xs since BMX XXX
Xbox One X... gone give it to ya!

Cuphead finally got a release date of Sept. 29th. It feels like this game has been in development for almost as long as Gang Beasts.

The Last Night looks interesting. It has that Blade Runner vibe going for it.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks amazing. It makes me want to go back and finish the first game - Ori and the Blind Forest.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jun 13, 2017 at 03:22 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2017, 11:38 AM

On the Nintendo front:
- Metroid Prime 4! Release date: some day.
- Switch Pokemon! Release date: some day.
- Mario Odyssey: looks bizarre, but good.
- Rocket League is coming and will feature cross-play with XB1/X and Steam (but, curiously, no PS4).
- Bad: no Smash re-release, no Animal Crossing, few third-party announcements, and generally not a lot to show for the remainder of the year other than Mario and Splatoon 2 (I'm getting a lot of the negatives from a Kotaku article).

That said, I'm still playing BoTW, and the first Splatoon was incredibly addictive, so I'll probably pick up the sequel.

New Metro game has raised an eyebrow for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbqlv...ature=youtu.be
Ahhhh, yes, I forgot you were the Metro guy. The second half of that trailer gives it a Russian Fallout / Far Cry vibe. I know the atmosphere in the previous two games was supposed to be top-notch. Hope it carries over to this one.

From what I've read, it's not based on the novels like the first two titles. This is an original story.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jun 14, 2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Grammar)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2017, 11:45 AM

Oh, and this...

Skyrim on Switch

...is weird.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2017, 12:08 PM

Inert sarcastic comment noting launch 3rd party support on Nintendo platforms has now devolved to remasters

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2017, 12:54 PM

I think Nintendo gave up on third party support.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ahhhh, yes, I forgot you were the Metro guy. The second half of that trailer gives it a Russian Fallout / Far Cry vibe. I know the atmosphere in the previous two games were supposed to be top-notch. Hope it carries over to this one.
This is why I'm half excited and half worried. I don't want the best linear atmospheric story-based FPS since Half Life 2 to turn into Far Cry Russia. I hope the Open Worldâ„¢ plays more like the STALKER series and less like the offerings from Ubisoft.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2017, 06:01 PM

I think Nintendo gave up on third party support.
You're forgetting about "Nindies."

I don't think I can force myself to type that word ever again.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2017, 06:11 PM

So it's nice to see Sony learned nothing – now that they're back on top they're declining to support console cross-play and pretending it's about protecting da kids – which is the most Nintendo excuse made more ridiculous because even Nintendo is allowing cross-play.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2017, 01:56 AM

Steam Sale time! Started 6pm lastnight UK time. So in the UK at least, PayPal had an offer to give £5 discount on Steam purchases paid for through them when you loaded the offer to your wallet, the offer was open until the end of the sale in July. What they didn't shout about so much is that the offer had a fund of £24,000, so once it was used 4,800 times it expired.

T&C's - "The Offer shall not be available if the aggregate monetary amount credited to customers reaches GBP 24,000.00"

It expired lastnight.

I got in and used it while it was live, but for something that was supposed to run for the duration of the sale, it's a bit crap (understatement of the year award nominee #472).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Steam Sale time! Started 6pm lastnight UK time.
Stardew Valley for $8.99 is a great value for fans of Harvest Moon type games. I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of it. Also, Shadow of Mordor: GOTY Edition for $3.99 is crazy talk.

Too bad PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds isn't on sale, but at $29.99, it's still a bargain. It's one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2017, 03:23 PM

SNES mini announced. Big surprise? StarFox II.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2017, 12:09 PM

Well, I reinstalled minecraft. DICEs BF1 support is an abomination

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2017, 07:31 PM

Well, I reinstalled minecraft. DICEs BF1 support is an abomination
How the mighty have fallen...

But yeah, Minecraft?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2017, 11:41 PM

How the mighty have fallen...

But yeah, Minecraft?
DICE or me? There's nothing wrong going back to mine craft. It's a nice palette-cleanser of exploration and creativity. With the mild bonus that vanilla mine craft has made some mild additions since I was playing a few years ago.

Honestly, I'd probably be more into it, but I'm stuck playing it on a trackpad ATM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2017, 12:44 AM

I'm already getting sick of grinding to be able to work on ambitious creative endeavors. Miss tekkit. Miss being able to mine chunks of blocks with a button press or transmuting blocks from one type to another.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2017, 07:11 PM

Just don't look up the Chisel and Bits mod.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 08:04 PM

Neat. Outside of creating slabs for some blocks, it doesn't really lure me.

What I really need is something to speed up the excavating process. And resource gathering, I suppose.

P
Jul 14, 2017, 09:50 AM

Playing on xBox One. A patch is coming to fix a lot of things. The character creator customization as well. Also to fix some of the jankyness when driving around planets. The game is pretty and there is a lot to do.

This game appears to be dead. They removed the DRM on PC, there is now a free demo for everyone, and single-player DLC remains MIA and seems to be not coming.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2017, 04:22 PM

EA sure know how to ruin a franchise. Still bitter about SimCity...

P
Jul 17, 2017, 04:06 AM

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2017, 04:00 PM

Lots of new things in latest vanilla minecraft. A pity it requires a java update, which basically nixes it for older Macs.

I still enjoy the gameplay, but grindmining without automation is tiresome. Playing in a world with the kids now, wanted to build a machine... slimes are apparently fricking unicorns or something.

Kid is teaching me Titanfall 2. Running on walls is both cool and tricky.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Lots of new things in latest vanilla minecraft. A pity it requires a java update, which basically nixes it for older Macs.

I still enjoy the gameplay, but grindmining without automation is tiresome. Playing in a world with the kids now, wanted to build a machine...
No doubt. I've been playing on Switch, and mining feels like it takes years.

The Mario-themed world is interesting, but it replaces all the music with Mario themes, and it feels a bit off.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2017, 03:29 PM

Blah blah blah, Xbox One X, blah blah blah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2017, 03:57 PM

Blah blah blah, Nintendo snes classic assholes, blah blah blah

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2017, 04:53 PM

The SNES Classic is going to be another debacle, obviously.

If any of you don't have OpenEmu on your computer to play all of these titles (sans Star Fox 2), then you need to. If you want the "files," just PM me and I'll send you a DropBox link.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2017, 06:42 PM

I guess when Nintendo said they would make more, they meant two?

If they announce an N64 Classic next year will anyone even bother?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2017, 11:25 PM

I guess when Nintendo said they would make more, they meant two?

If they announce an N64 Classic next year will anyone even bother?
Nope.

I kept my eyes open for an NES Classic at our local Best Buys, Targets, and even a *shudder* Walmart for about a month. After repeatedly striking out, I realized it wasn't remotely worth the hour or two per week.

Just drop $34 on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-SFC30-...eywords=8bitdo

Forum Links
Forum Rules