Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Enable sharing on hard disc partitions

Enable sharing on hard disc partitions
Carbon
Dec 7, 1999, 04:49 AM

Hi all,

I have 3 external hard discs with a total of 16 partitions (including the internal HD). After starting file sharing (to exchange files over Ethernet with my PowerBook), I want to share *all* the partitions, but on several partitions I get the error message "File sharing is preparing this disc. Wait a moment or two!" But I can wait forever, and the partitions will not be shared. I have no problems sharing the other partitions (the problem persists both under MacOS 8.6 and 9).

Is there a maximum number of shareable partitions or am I doing something wrong?

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 1999, 07:02 AM

Carbon,

as I had similar problems before, I suspect that there is a limit for the number of files and folders File Sharing can utilize for a given partition.

Does the partition that gives you troubles have significantly more folders and files (also keep an eye on a more complicated file structure built up by folders in folders, etc.) than the other ones?

Another idea of mine is the number of items on the top level of a partition - may be this one is limited (which would point into the opposite direction for a remedy).

Although I have been looking I could not find any explicit information about such a limit.

I do not think the total number of sharable partitions is an issue here.

Hope this may help you a little bit.

Regards,

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 12-07-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 12-07-1999).]

Carbon
Dec 10, 1999, 06:39 AM

I have checked the partitions for similarities, but found nothing: they range from 700 MB to 2 GB, from one single top level folder to a dozen or so, from almost full to half empty.

I tried rebuilding the desktop file, zapped the invisible AppleShare files and folders, reinstalled System software, started with a minimal extension set, tried with OS 8.6 and 9.0, all with no success.

This is really weird and I remember that file sharing worked on a partition where it now refuses to work several weeks ago, but there is *nothing* major that I changed since then.

As this seems to be a rather common problem, I wonder what else I could do (besides reformatting the whole disc)?.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

[This message has been edited by Carbon (edited 12-13-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules