Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Maurice Richard

Maurice Richard
Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 02:27 PM

Who saw the movie and who will see it??

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2006, 05:55 PM

I'd definitely like to, if I can find the time. I haven't seen anything about it besides the trailer, so I hope they've done a good job.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 08:19 PM

I saw it last week at a sneak preview. It's very good. In fact, I'm thinking about paying to see it again. And, I will definitely buy it on DVD.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hmmm, just read a review last night that gave it an almost-perfect rating. I'm thinking I'm definitely gonna add it to the list.

Richard was the ****, too, so that's always good.

greg

Now Playing: Ben Harper – Two Hands of a Prayer

ambush
Banned
Apr 23, 2006, 11:20 AM

Too american

But it's alright. Good movie.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2006, 11:56 AM

Well, C.R.A.Z.Y. was an "alright" film at best – and almost every single non-Quebec review seemed to agree with me – so I'll take your opinion with a large grain of salt.

Consider it's a film directed, written and acted primarily by Canadian-based people, and I'm starting to wonder if your obsession with All Things Quebec® is getting the best of you.

greg

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 10:52 AM

Of course English Canada did not like it; it partly deals with racism against the French population of the time.

I have a question why can't the coach or the assistant coach speak French to the French players; why were their contracts only in English; why were the Frech fans kept in a cage during the games? etc.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
why were the Frech fans kept in a cage during the games? etc.
I can only assume it wsa because of their animal like nature...

...kidding. haven't seen it, but I will.

ambush
Banned
Apr 24, 2006, 03:04 PM

I found CRAZY to be vastly superior. Critics think it's good too. Even The Guardian (UK) liked it.

A great time for Québécois cinema!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:47 AM

Of course English Canada did not like it; it partly deals with racism against the French population of the time.
English Canada does like it. Some love it.

I didn't mind the French-Canadian nationalism angle and the romanticization of Richard. This film doesn't deal with what happened; it deals with how the French-Canadian population viewed and remembered Richard. That's what makes it powerful and important.

I have a question why can't the coach or the assistant coach speak French to the French players?
The same reason so many anglophones don't speak French today: they don't have a need for French.

I'm not against the French language, but, being from Alberta, I don't have a need for it. Therefore, I don't speak French.

Why were the Frech fans kept in a cage during the games? etc.
They weren't; the poor fans were separated from the rich fans by a fence.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by dtriska
I'm not against the French language, but, being from Alberta, I don't have a need for it. Therefore, I don't speak French.
Did they make you learn it at school, as a second language? I think it is important that citizens learn the official languages of their country, which are both French and English, in Canada.

Back to the movie, I find it sad that the anti-French attitude of that era still persists today. When you think about Don Cherry, it's quite pathetic, especially when you consider he was nominated in the 10 greatest Canadian in history, or the case of Shane Doan, who made the Olympic team despite saying "F*cking frog" to an official, and still refuses to apologize for the slur as of today... Things didn't change much since Richard's time...
They weren't; the poor fans were separated from the rich fans by a fence.
I don't want to derail this thread from its original topic, but I wanted to point out that this practice still occurs these days. A few years ago, during Halloween, they locked the fences around some "rich" neighborhood (I think it was TMR or Westmount) so that "poor" kids from adjacent district wouldn't be able to get candies intended for the rich. They literally put chain and locks to segregate the poor from the rich!!
( Last edited by FireWire; Apr 25, 2006 at 04:25 AM. )

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Did they make you learn it at school, as a second language? I think it is important that citizens learn the official languages of their country, which are both French and English, in Canada.
Yup, French was mandatory from grades 4-6. After that, second languages are strongly recommended, but optional. I took Mandarin Chinese for four years.

I should note that schools in my city have considerable flexibility to make certain subjects optional or mandatory. The public education system is pretty much decentralization with a provincial curriculum underlying everything. It's part of Alberta's free choice undercurrent, I suppose, and it's how we have a variety of programs from French immersion to Ukrainian- and Mandarin Chinese-focused schools, to performing arts schools and more technical schools.

Oh, and, yes, many students continue with their French studies through high school. I was the odd one out, it seems.

Originally Posted by FireWire
Back to the movie, I find it sad that the anti-French attitude of that era still persists today. When you think about Don Cherry, it's quite pathetic, especially when you consider he was nominated in the 10 greatest Canadian in history, or the case of Shane Doan, who made the Olympic team despite saying "F*cking frog" to an official, and still refuses to apologize for the slur as of today... Things didn't change much since Richard's time...
I don't get Don Cherry's appeal outside of hockey, and only hockey. Thankfully, he was only the joke candidate for the Greatest Canadian. At least, that's how I saw him.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 10:13 AM

dtriska, the fact that you took Mandarin instead of French which is the second language of your country shows the disrespect you have for the other part of your country. And where do you use Mandarin in Alberta, is there a big demand for it.

ambush
Banned
Apr 25, 2006, 12:00 PM

English Canada does like it. Some love it.

I didn't mind the French-Canadian nationalism angle and the romanticization of Richard. This film doesn't deal with what happened; it deals with how the French-Canadian population viewed and remembered Richard. That's what makes it powerful and important.
IIRC, there were no historic distortions.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 07:50 PM

dtriska, the fact that you took Mandarin instead of French which is the second language of your country shows the disrespect you have for the other part of your country.
Who knew my decision to take an optional class as a 12-year-old would set me on a life of unparalleled hatred? Why, imagine if I took Ukrainian or German instead; the federal government would have hanged me for treason!

Grow up, Monique. That's like saying your name's spelling is anti-English. Guess what? It's not. You can be for something without being against something else.

And, if I did have such a poor opinion of Quebec, why is it that I'm planning, a year in advance, my trip to the province to visit some of my francophone friends? Yeah, I must really dislike Quebec to want to take my vacation there.

And where do you use Mandarin in Alberta, is there a big demand for it.
More demand than for French. There are more visible minorities in the West than French-speaking people. That's why there's such a strong demand for bilingual programs here. Alberta is a lot more multicultural and cosmopolitan than most people think. You'd know that if you looked out from under your frown once in a while.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
IIRC, there were no historic distortions.
Richard was a lot more belligerent toward players and officials than was portrayed in the film. The assault of Cliff Thompson, one of the events that led to the riot, was his "second assault on an official in that season alone." In fact, as he later admitted, he knew who was holding him and still he struck. He had no reluctance to retaliate with his fists, or even his stick.

Maurice Richard wasn't a simple innocent, as he was portrayed in the film. He was as much an aggressor as a victim in real life.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:07 AM

dtriska,
It takes you one year to plan a trip to Quebec; it is not a foreign land.

And it is funny that you think as French people living in Alberta we look differently. And Alberta is not cosmopolitan, it is not because you see a few Asian people that it is cosmopolitan. Now Toronto is cosmopolitan; maybe you should go East and see what cosmopolitan really means.

So you are not 12 anymore, probably 17 so it is time you learn another language, French the other one.

You showed things from high school, are you still in high school?

If you are an adult don't you think that you should learn the other official language?

And you are the one that said you don't want to learn French because you have no use for it in Alberta. So my question remains how useful is Mandarin in your life?

ambush
Banned
Apr 26, 2006, 12:42 PM

More and more reasons to abandon this mini usa (Canada)

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
Well, C.R.A.Z.Y. was an "alright" film at best – and almost every single non-Quebec review seemed to agree with me – so I'll take your opinion with a large grain of salt.

Consider it's a film directed, written and acted primarily by Canadian-based people, and I'm starting to wonder if your obsession with All Things Quebec® is getting the best of you.

greg
Or maybe the movie corresponds to something for which people of Quebec are more sensitive about than others.

Many have criticized Mordechai Richler more favorably amongst the English speaking population than the French ones, and that does not mean he was either good or bad. Sometimes, there is a cultural relationship that makes the appreciation different.

There is that thing called "deux solitudes" and it is real. But it does not mean that one is better than the others. I am certain you appreciate that.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
More and more reasons to abandon this mini usa (Canada)
Not going to happen. And I think your perception of English Canada as a "mini-usa" is wrong too. The similitudes are probably stronger in some of the western provinces, but not for BC, or Ontario, or NewFoundland for that matter. Especially for Newfoundland, which is probably more different than Quebec can be.

Looking forward to watch that movie one day.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 06:46 PM

How might I see what the hell movie we are talking about?

hayesk
Apr 26, 2006, 07:15 PM

You showed things from high school, are you still in high school?

If you are an adult don't you think that you should learn the other official language?
Uhm... why? If he doesn't want to learn it, he doesn't have to.

Regardless, there will continue to be an anti-French sentiment in Canada as long as there is an anti-English sentiment in Québec. When separatists admit that their "distinct" culture is no more special than the distinct cultures everywhere else across Canada, we will see progress. When Québec repeals their draconian language laws, we will see progress.

Acadians of eastern Canada aren't crying out for language laws. They aren't crying that they are special and should separate from Canada, and they got a far worse deal than the French in Québec ever did. They, like everyone else across Canada seems to understand that culture is something that evolves and is defined by the population, not something forced upon people by a law. The separatist government in Québec would do well to learn this.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT
or NewFoundland for that matter. Especially for Newfoundland, which is probably more different than Quebec can be.
That's what I've been saying since birth.

greg

Now Playing: The Weakerthans – Everything Much Go!

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 10:12 AM

Really the Acadians never fought to maintain their culture and their language. How many Acadians have you talked to?

And it is not up to Quebec to please the rest of the country and it is not up to the rest of the country to please Quebec.

But since I have leaved in another country Alberta, I understand 2 things what it is liked to have racist slur thrown at you and the importance of keeping my language alive.

Even though I do not agree with all the language laws in Quebec, I agree with the fact that you live in Quebec speak French or make an effort to speak the language, and when you live in another country, the rest of Canada, learn and speak English because you are not going to get help in your native French.

What many English people resent is that we at last speak out and that put some focus on their racist views and how they see the French population.

And at last we as the French population are allowed and should consider our culture distinct; we were the first in this country and we were the servants long enough. Do you see yourself as a distinct person because you are English Canadian?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 11:39 AM

I don't see you learning to speak a Native American dialect.

You weren't the first in this country. Please don't forget that any time soon.

greg

Now Playing: Blind Melon – Drive

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 11:44 AM

So we should maybe all learn the dialect of one of the tribe where we live. Which tribe was in Edmonton? And what dialect are you going to learn? Someone ready to teach me I am ready to learn.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 02:05 PM

So, I saw this movie a couple days ago.

My opinion: it was well-shot, but only...alright. The stylistic filming was good, but the story as a whole made me scratch my head. I know there's been some comment on here about the focus on Francophone rights in the film, but AFAIK this was less of an issue in Richard's life than it was in the film. In other words, the film seems to distort Richard's legacy; it isn't that he wasn't such a large proponent of French rights, which he certainly did seem to be, but that they dominated his life and career to a far lesser extent than one would surmise from watching the film.

The film itself has many criticisms from me. First of all, I'll tackle the actor who plays Richard; yes yes, I know The Rocket was known for his fierce and competitive glare, but I don't believe there is any point in the movie where he actually smiles. Seriously. It's like they took a snapshot stereotype of him with that intense stare and applied it to his entire life.

Secondly, the hockey itself: well-done in spots, but for many parts it's really unimpressive. If you didn't know better you'd think it was a single-player sport, not a team game. Richard jumps on the ice, and then it's either a single-shot focus on his face as he moves up the ice or fast cuts that don't let you see what's going on. This may be a nit-picking detail in some areas, but I for one would love to see a movie about hockey actually get the "feel" of the game right. Jeez, splice some old shots of him playing in with those train shots or something...!

Next, what really bothers me is that the film is about Maurice Richard...but only focuses on his life with his wife and her family. There is almost zero mention of his teammates (seriously, besides name-dropping "Toe Blake" or "Beliveau," would anyone who didn't know their legacy recognize such hockey heros?? That's like having a baseball movie where this black guy called Robinson wanders around in the background every so often. Even better, there is ZERO mention of anything to do with Richard's past, or his family. Zero. Where did he come from?! What was his background?? Where was his family in all this? And even better...where the hell is his brother Henri, who played hockey and is the NHL's all-time Stanley Cup-winningest player (with 11, or something like that)?!?! Seriously! In the same vein, how can you possibly have a movie about The Rocket without mentioning his 50 goals in 50 games?! I was astounded.

I guess that's my point. A couple of us saw this movie, including my best friend's girl who's from Missouri and my girlfriend, who grew up in Israel. Both of them thought it was just wonderful that this machinist hockey player could have stood up against all the English domination and corruption and made such large statements for the Francophone movement. I don't think that's Richard's legacy at all; I feel that's an image created by the movie. As has been mentioned in the thread already, Richard was hardly the innocent the film portrays him as - that intimidating stare was hardly window dressing; he did anything he could to win, including play very dirty by most accounts. The Rocket's legacy was as one of the greatest hockey players ever, as Dick Irwin mentioned in the film. I came away feeling that this was somewhat glossed over - like his life in general - in favour of trying to emphasize some "lifelong struggles against English oppressors," and I was rather unhappy with such a portrayal.

greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules