Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New SSD, clean 10.9.1 install?

New SSD, clean 10.9.1 install?
MrsLarry
Senior User
Dec 29, 2013, 09:58 PM

In order to keep my 6ish year old iMac kicking for a bit longer, I'm taking it apart (been there, done this once before) to put a new Samsung SSD 840 EVO inside, and maxing out the RAM. Here's my question:

Install Lion, which I'm currently running, then upgrade to Mavericks? Or start fresh with Mavericks? I feel like a clean Mavericks install seems like the best choice, but I'm not quite sure how I'd even do it.

Any tips?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2013, 09:53 AM

I upgraded to Mavericks on my 2007 iMac and it was slow so I upgraded to an SSD. I put the SSD into an external enclosure and installed Mavericks on it and then installed the SSD into the iMac. Huge improvement in speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules