Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple hit with second Immersion haptic feedback lawsuit

Apple hit with second Immersion haptic feedback lawsuit
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 6, 2016, 11:30 AM

Apple has been hit with a fresh lawsuit from Immersion , a company that has specialized in haptic feedback technology for over 20 years. The new suit alleges that Apple's 12-inch MacBook and MacBook Pro models with Force Touch trackpads violate one of its patents. Immersion also alleges that the iPhone 6s violates another three of its patents.

Immersion is asserting its intellectual property rights against the 12-inch MacBook with US patent 7,336,260 "Method and Apparatus for Providing Tactile Sensations." Against the iPhone 6s, Immersion is asserting its IP rights relating to US patent 8,749,507 "Systems and Methods for Adaptive Interpretation of Input from a Touch-Sensitive Input Device," US patent 7,808,488 "Method and Apparatus for Providing Tactile Sensations," and US patent 8,581,710 "Systems and Methods for Haptic Confirmation of Commands."

Immersion first filed suit against Apple in February, alleging that the Force Touch technology found in the Apple Watch, and the 3D Touch technology in the iPhone 6s also infringes on its intellectual property. All of the Apple devices concerned utilize Apple's Taptic Engine technology to provide haptic feedback to users using force sensors to detect pressure applied to a display that is confirmed by a vibrating response.

In the case of the Force Touch trackpad found on the 12-inch MacBook and Apple's newer 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros, force sensors are also used to detect pressure, and provide a confirmation by a vibrating response. However, the Force Touch trackpad also utilizes haptic feedback to simulate the sensation of a 'click' as well as a secondary 'force click.'

In addition to a jury trial and compensation, Immersion is also seeking an injunction from the US International Trade Commission to stop Apple from selling the named devices. Further, Immersion also alleges that Apple has willfully infringed on its patents. If Immersion is successful in its suits, and Apple is found to have willfully infringed on Immersion's technology, any damages awarded could be tripled. Immersion has previously successfully sued Google as the one-time owner of Motorola, while it also lists smartphone manufacturers LG, Huawei, Meizu, Kyocera and Gionee as official licencees of its technology.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 6, 2016 at 01:52 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2016, 01:16 PM

"Immersion , a company that has specialized in haptic feedback technology for over 20 years." I'm no fan of most legal disputes, but I'm sympathetic with them in this one. They're not patent trolls lurking under bridges while others design products and take risks. They've been putting "rumble and force feedback in gaming controllers" since 1995. If Apple did what they've patented, Apple should have paid. Details about their products here: http://www.immersion.com/technology/#products
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2016, 07:43 PM

Agree with Inkling here 100%. I've been using FFB technologies developed by Immersion for years (racing sim wheels), and they are a legit company doing a great job. The tech they've managed to squeeze into FFB racing-sim wheels alone is fantastic. I have zero sympathy for Apple in this case. They should have licensed the tech (and, frankly, if they had, it would have been better. I know a lot of people "love" the new FFB trackpads, but I can't stand the things. Something licensed from Immersion would probably have been far better.) For those with a way-back machine, the reason the PS3 didn't come out with feedback in the controllers was reportedly because they were still ironing-out the licensing with Immersion.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
May 8, 2016, 03:24 AM

My question is whether there is any application of haptic feedback not patented. It sounds like it's a closed technology.

Forum Links
Forum Rules