Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My purchased iTunes music won't play on Panther Install

My purchased iTunes music won't play on Panther Install
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2003, 04:43 AM

So yea, I've installed a fresh Panther on a partition other than my Jaguar partition, and now if I try to play songs in iTunes or on my iPod that were previously downloaded under my other system partition (10.2.6) I get a message asking if I want to authorize this computer.. I'd rather not use up all my authorizations, as this STILL is the same computer as before.. anything I can do to make them play? transfer some preferences or something?

: \

thanks
ice

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 06:10 AM

This is why you are supposed to de-authorize if at all possible before performing a step like this

Scroll down to Note 2 on this page for a step that will hopefully end your dilemma.

Evan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 09:58 AM

I've installed a fresh Panther on a partition other than my Jaguar partition, and now if I try to play songs in iTunes or on my iPod that were previously downloaded under my other system partition (10.2.6) I get a message asking if I want to authorize this computer.. I'd rather not use up all my authorizations, as this STILL is the same computer as before.. anything I can do to make them play? transfer some preferences or something?

Despite the cute curt reply that precedes mine, I'm not so sure this is such a simple task. Does anyone -- who actually has Jag and Panther on separate partitions -- know if the iTMS scheme will allow this to function (booted from either OS) with only one authorization? (Certainly no instructions at Apple will cover that particular scenario).

Seems to me you'd need to use the same iTunes 4 application (with either OS) for starters. Whatever "prefs" Apple uses to store authorization data is very well hidden from the user, and can't simply be "transferred" over... so scratch that strategy.

Evan

betoranaldi
Dec 31, 2003, 03:40 PM

From what i understand eventhough it asks you to authorize yoru computer becuase it is the same hardware it doesnt deduct it from your 3, i have 3 partitions on my power mac all with different os version, and they all are authorized to play music, and i have a powerbook authorized.

I think it uses a hardware sepcific "serial number" ranter then an os version

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 04:02 PM

Authorizations are based on the machine's MAC number. Re-authorizing the same machine will NOT use up one of your 3 authorizations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules