Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Empowering Your video playback capabilities through the ON/OFF switch

View Poll Results: Does any video method allow more ON/OFF control?
Poll Options:
What a totally useless ($%& feature 5 votes (83.33%)
All kinds of video action activities could benefit from this Slo-Mo capability 3 votes (50.00%)
PC's are free I'll go get one today 1 votes (16.67%)
When computers are free the OS doesn't count 2 votes (33.33%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll
Empowering Your video playback capabilities through the ON/OFF switch
SpectateSwamp
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 11:05 AM

Here's the skinny on HOW to quickly capture slow motion golf swing videos for ALL the participants in a tournament. The ON/OFF switch is Key!

We took our 2 camcorders to Hole #2.
That TEE had the best lighting and least shade. The Hole runs to the North North East. Quite good for early morning and noon Tee-time Shoots.

For the quickest results follow this simple Videoing recipe.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*AS each 'new' foursome arrives at the TEE:

-Shoot 1 extremely short video clip (1 or 2 seconds max)
of the tournament sheet or white-board with golfer names and Flight# or video the Golfers as they drive up in their Carts.

-Start recording the action when the Golfer addresses the ball.

-Shut off recording as soon as the swing is complete.

-then the next golfer in that foursome.

That's IT.
==========

The video is offloaded to the Laptop in 5 to 10 minutes. There are 90+ golf swing clips from each of the 2 CamCorders.

The video software program Does-The-Rest.
========================================

The App's cataloging option "GOLF" is selected:

--a text file is created with dual lines that control the video playback.

the 1st text line contains: The Search detail info and video replay controls.
"photo cGOLF_0014.mpg " --- INFO like NAME & SCORE can be added here later

the 2nd line has the physical location of the video files
"xxx.csearch\GOLF_0014.mpg" --- A mpeg video file named GOLF_0014 on Drive C in a folder called 'Search'

The above lines instructs the software to play the short (6 to 8secs) GOLF_0014.mpg clip at REGULAR speed.

What controls the final 3 seconds (the swing) in SLO-MO is the addition of a couple parameters:

The 2nd pairing of lines uses (start point) and (replay speed) settings

"photo cGOLF_0012.mpg start==-3000 speed=125 " -------LINE#1
"xxx.csearch\GOLF_0012.mpg " -------LINE#2

(Start==-3000) is the number of seconds (-3000 indicates -3 secs) So start the playback 3secs before the end of the video.

(speed=125) is the speed where 1000 is full speed. This 1/8 speed is in reality about 1/10 speed due to computer delay time resulting from the rapid video stops and starts from within the Slo-Mo playback controller.

The computer finds all the videos in the specified directories and automatically creates these 2 sets of lines for each video clip captured during the tournament. So these 180+ video files are ready to play Full Speed and Slo-Mo for all swings FS/SM FS/SM....

And the PLAY Begins... On the big screen RANDOM by foursomes... The mini clip that was filmed of the foursome is the BREAK indicator that now identifies each new play group as a SET. The computer randomly selects and plays the foursome's 4 videos. On the BIG screen. All within 10 minutes of leaving the Course. How fast is that.

The mini-clip feature allows for easy synchronizing the video from 2 or more CamCorders. By choosing the Golfer's Seq# along with His/Her video GRP#; (during the auto-catalog; line #1 has " GRP#3 " & " SEQ#4 " added as search details) so playing the videos from CC#1 then CC#2 repeatedly is now a snap.

EXAMPLE of the catalog file:
================================================== =======
photo GRP#3 SEQ#4 ------- (Name and Score can be added here later)
xxx.csearch\GOLF_0014.mpg
photo GRP#3 SEQ#4 start==-3000 speed=125
xxx.csearch\GOLF_0014.mpg
photo GRP#3 SEQ#4
xxx.csearch\GOLF_cam2_0014.mpg
photo GRP#3 SEQ#4 start==-3000 speed=125
xxx.csearch\GOLF_cam2_0014.mpg

BREAK
photo GRP#4 SEQ#0 ------- (short 1-2 sec video clip causes the BREAK line & changes the sequence counts)
xxx.csearch\GOLF_cam2_0015.mpg
photo GRP#4 SEQ#0 start==-3000 speed=125
xxx.csearch\GOLF_cam2_0015.mpg
================================================== =======

The replay was incredible entertainment Value to the golfers as they had their awards meal. They just loved it. What a wonderful momento the monogrammed USB STICKS (with vids set to randomly play) are for Golfers. Everybody will want to SPONSOR a cool timely gift like that....

Spam-o-licious link for video samples from the 2 test tournaments

This method unleashes the full power and speed that was HIDDEN in the "ON/OFF" Switch!!!

Not all Operating System have this video capability but they should or face being left in the digital video dust because of it.

The Mac and Linux fanatics NEED to do a PC landfill rescue (thousands of PCs are going there everyday). Don't let blind loyalty to any OS, hold you back. It's the application software that counts most. Relax; Now we can ALL go to the world of ON/OFF Video power.

If a Camcorder came out with similar ground-breaking Earth-shattering features - You'd go get it, Wouldn't you? This is available here and NOW!

Summary:
By simply turning the camcorder off. A video break point is created. For Golf the last 3 seconds is the swing that can be played back in slow motion. For Politicians it could be that in the last 5 seconds a lie or untruth was spoken. Those parts can be sampled by themselves in slo-mo or normal speed. Very very short videos can also be used to group the videos that follow. A very short video of the outside of a house then numerous others enables property videos to be grouped. These videos can then be randomly selected to play in their entirety. What a neat StoreFront window screen-saver for real estate.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Nov 15, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: change "hidden in" to "hidden in the")

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

WTF ? Reported.

-t

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 11:13 AM

What for! Too much news? Too much bragging? Or being too good?
( Last edited by SpectateSwamp; Sep 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add the ? Or being too good? What for!)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 11:17 AM

WTF do you even want ?

Mods, please don't delete the thread, just lock it, so we can enjoy it in the future.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 11:32 AM

I don't understand the post. Couldn't you just record everyone +/- a few minutes, then edit the video?

It's not like hard drive space is expensive. You can get 1TB for $60 now. Who cares if you're shooting GB videos for only a few seconds of action when you could have 10TBs of space for under $1000?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I don't understand the post. Couldn't you just record everyone +/- a few minutes, then edit the video?

It's not like hard drive space is expensive. You can get 1TB for $60 now. Who cares if you're shooting GB videos for only a few seconds of action when you could have 10TBs of space for under $1000?
The video was for immediate playback. No time to edit anything. Give them the final 3 seconds in slow mo. It would take hours to get the video up and playing in slo-mo using other methods.

I could shoot and be finished with 2 tournaments in a day. No messing around. Very very fast and simple.

Without a doubt the very best at golf video.
( Last edited by SpectateSwamp; Sep 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: more bragging)

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF do you even want ?

Mods, please don't delete the thread, just lock it, so we can enjoy it in the future.

-t
A action video showdown. Oh this thread will get locked and deleted all right. No Mac or Linux app can do this. Maybe they never will.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SpectateSwamp View Post
A action video showdown. Oh this thread will get locked and deleted all right. No Mac or Linux app can do this. Maybe they never will.
VDMX program looks pretty capable.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 12:32 PM

I don't understand the post.
We tried to just capture the swing and missed some completely. The longer (10 to 15sec) clips were just too long and when played back in slow motion the audience would lose interest. With this new feature that plays only the 3sec swing in Slo_Mo there's no more missed swings or bored viewers.
( Last edited by SpectateSwamp; Sep 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: fix the quotes)

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 12:35 PM

Spam with a poll? Innovative.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 12:36 PM

We tried to just capture the swing and missed some completely. The longer (10 to 15sec) clips were just too long and when played back in slow motion the audience would lose interest. With this new feature that plays only the 3sec swing in Slo_Mo there's no more missed swings or bored viewers.
OK, but you can do realtime video manipulation with a lot of different programs. It'd take 1 or 2 seconds to crop that video, then use some video hardware to super impose, picture in picture, or cut to the new video.

I'm not a video person, so maybe there's something I'm missing that makes your features so great.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 12:38 PM

VDMX program looks pretty capable.
It's gotta be fast.

Many action activities would lend themselves to this way of doing video. The 3 second could be mass edited to longer or shorter depending on the event timing.

I use a remote to switch the camcorder On and Off so that there is no jiggle at the beginning and end of each video.

Having multiple versions of video files is messy. Too messy.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Spam with a poll? Innovative.
Not spam. Pure video knowhow

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 12:45 PM

I'm not a video person, so maybe there's something I'm missing that makes your features so great.
The immediacy. No editing required makes it extremely quick and simple. I could do video of barrel racing. Turning the CC off and back on after they round each barrel. The mini clip would enable me to play back those 3 or 4 clips full speed and the barrel turns in slow motion from 2 or more camcorders with no editing. Editing makes it too slow to be of any use.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 01:27 PM

A more random video player I never knew

What I am saying is: If you have a Mpeg CamCorder and you are allowed to have PC friends then RUN don't walk to their place and download the latest feature enabled Golf executable. Totally random makes for even more fun.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 01:42 PM

Who the heck wants to slow golf down? I always want to speed it up so it can be over and done with as soon as is possible. And if possible, stick some Yakety Yak over it.

Boobies, on the other hand, are really very excellent when slowed down. Which is what the "speed" control is for in Quicktime.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 01:57 PM

I concur with Doofy's assessment - particularly the booby part.

Just for the record, I must add that other female body parts are of equal slow motion interest as well.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Who the heck wants to slow golf down? I always want to speed it up so it can be over and done with as soon as is possible. And if possible, stick some Yakety Yak over it.

Boobies, on the other hand, are really very excellent when slowed down. Which is what the "speed" control is for in Quicktime.
That gives a whole new meaning to Video Buffs.
QuickTime is SlowTime

Bet there is lots more delay time involved with replaying your video. Quicktime is't nearly so fast at slowing things down as this app. Not even close.
( Last edited by SpectateSwamp; Sep 9, 2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: video buffs everywhere weird isn't it)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 02:40 PM

You're amusing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 9, 2010, 02:44 PM

A action video showdown. Oh this thread will get locked and deleted all right.
How do you know this? Are you familiar with this forum's policies? If it got locked for any reason, it'd be because you weren't smart enough to put the thread in the correct section.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 02:45 PM

He's probably the Sham-wow guy.

Geez, imagine that guy all coked up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 02:53 PM

This is what set me off:

What Entertainment Value to the golfers as they have their awards meal. They just loved it. What GREAT momentos the monogrammed USB STICKS (with vids set to randomly play) is for them. Everybody will want to SPONSOR a cool timely gift like that....

I'm just waiting for a convenient link to a service that does that.

On the other hand, no real spammer wastes as mch time putting together a convoluted post like that.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 02:55 PM

Okay, I'll ask. How much is it?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 02:58 PM

This is what set me off:

On the other hand, no real spammer wastes as mch time putting together a convoluted post like that.

-t
I think this one is more of a troll, since he/she keeps baiting us with ideas that we are Mac "fanatics" and aren't "allowed to have PC friends."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
aren't "allowed to have PC friends."
I'm allowed to have PC friends. I just don't want to.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 03:04 PM

I eliminated all my PC friends. But I have alibis.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
How do you know this? Are you familiar with this forum's policies? If it got locked for any reason, it'd be because you weren't smart enough to put the thread in the correct section.
I've been banned lots. Arguing with Windows forums on building a desktop search. Insisting video forums shouldn't edit anything. Telling mods that it is all about "the Registrations". Informing OS groupies that it's the app that matters most. Sometimes I don't last long at all. Real Sponsors wouldn't like this thread either.
There is a tune somewhere in there Twang.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 04:19 PM

This is what set me off:

-t
It's all about the Sponsor in some form or another. Where would Golf be without it. The hacks would be poorly paid like rodeo people; without sponsors. Web hosting needs em. Find your sponsor and you'll be OK.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Okay, I'll ask. How much is it?
Free to those that run anything from Windows 95 through Windows 7. There is a PC at a nearby dump that needs you. The Key Golf features will be activated. There is a Sponsors LinK listed at the top of the viewing form. Free and Green all at the same time.

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I eliminated all my PC friends. But I have alibis.
You'll need fake labels and covers for your new powerhouse video machines. I won't tell.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 9, 2010, 05:07 PM

I've been banned lots. Arguing with Windows forums on building a desktop search. Insisting video forums shouldn't edit anything. Telling mods that it is all about "the Registrations". Informing OS groupies that it's the app that matters most. Sometimes I don't last long at all. Real Sponsors wouldn't like this thread either.
There is a tune somewhere in there Twang.
So you fancy yourself to be some sort of rebellious internet renegade cowboy badass?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 05:12 PM

So you fancy yourself to be some sort of rebellious internet renegade cowboy badass?
Well, until you get to the "golf" bit. Proper badasses don't do golf - see "Falling Down" for details.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 05:14 PM

This guy's the Rob of video forums
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie

Roaming from forum to forum, laying down tha truf to the ignorant masses, being persecuted for your genius and badassery...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie

This is the weirdest thread in the history of the Internets.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2010, 05:17 PM

Roaming from forum to forum, laying down tha truf to the ignorant masses, being persecuted for your genius and badassery...
YOUR GOLF HAT IS NOT AS PLAID AS MY GOLF TROUSERS!
Cappy caps cap

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 9, 2010, 05:24 PM

Well, until you get to the "golf" bit. Proper badasses don't do golf - see "Falling Down" for details.
They swear and swing sticks. Bad Bad Bader asses I never knew.
Well maybe the politicians that turfed me for videoing their meetings. They were the badest.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 05:55 PM

YOUR GOLF HAT IS NOT AS PLAID AS MY GOLF TROUSERS!
Cappy caps cap
When did you get an M3?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 06:33 PM

hmm...

Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 09:12 AM

You should submit this to a scientific journal!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 09:26 AM

( Last edited by Eug; Sep 12, 2010 at 09:32 AM. )

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
You should submit this to a scientific journal!
Quite a discovery alright. Using the ON/OFF switch like this should be subject to peer review. I'd probably just get BANNED for spamming!!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 09:51 AM

I'm Robin Leach, I'm yelling, and I don't know why!!

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2010, 09:56 AM

Course designers don't take the angle of the sun into account. At least on the one I was on. Oh well most were done well before camcorders were in wide use.

That swing is a 5 second clip most likely hand held. Could be zoomed in a little more. Probably edited as there is no shake from the on/off button. We use remotes to eliminate that nasty jiggle at beginning and end.

I should graduate to the LPGA there would be way more hits on YouTube...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 02:08 AM

Quite a discovery alright. Using the ON/OFF switch like this should be subject to peer review. I'd probably just get BANNED for spamming!!
I wonder why you'd think so - it's not like you signed up to an Internet forum solely to offer random unsolicited recommendations for a specific, completely unknown product that is of no particular interest to anybody except a handful of scattered professionals not working on the platform this forum is dedicated to, right?

That would be ultimate FAIL.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2010, 02:26 AM

Lock, please.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 07:22 AM

Why lock this? It's a very entertaining thread!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I wonder why you'd think so - it's not like you signed up to an Internet forum solely to offer random unsolicited recommendations for a specific, completely unknown product that is of no particular interest to anybody except a handful of scattered professionals not working on the platform this forum is dedicated to, right?

That would be ultimate FAIL.
There is a big ole World outside whatever "platform" you are dedicated to. Either grab a FREE PC or code up a similar app for the Mac or get dust goggles. You will be left behind. Years back I had a SE then MAC II thank G** I never got the OS fanatic disease that seems to infect then blind most Mac'ies.

Everybody that has a Camcorder should be interested in this non-editing alternative. Editing isn't fast and re-rendering loses resolution. By using the ON/OFF button this way you don't need to do either. I'm here trying to inform some of the more open minded Mac'ies of that fact. Thats too funny "open minded Mac'ies". Ha ha ha

SpectateSwamp  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Why lock this? It's a very entertaining thread!
and very informative.

Another video heads-up
If at some point, you will be trying to sync video from 2 or more camcorders; then get a brand like mine that creates the file names in this format: YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.mpg Making it easy to sync videos, Set the time on one CamCorder to 15 or 20 seconds behind the other. Then dump all the videos into a common folder. That will automatically have them play one after the other; in sync. It's that easy. Maybe even stupid easy.

Having these pointers, I expect to see some of you at future LPGA tournies, with all those athletic young ladies crowding around wanting to see your swing video.
( Last edited by SpectateSwamp; Sep 13, 2010 at 08:54 AM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2010, 08:58 AM

I simply refuse to believe that the ON/OFF button can be used in this way. I will have to find another way to impress the ladies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules