Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Weird USB Card Reader problems with Powerbook

Weird USB Card Reader problems with Powerbook
lewisyu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 12:29 AM

Hi,

I�m new to Mac and have just got my PB17 (Rev. D) for a month.

I have experienced very very strange USB 2.0 card reader problems with my Powerbook.

I have a generic brand USB 2.0 8-in-1 card reader, which I have used for 1.5 years with my PC. The reader is perfectly ok on my PC. However, the same card reader would occasionally �hang� during transfer when connected to the Powerbook. The problem is not card-related because it occurs on all my SD/CF/MS-Pro.

After put up with it for two weeks, I bought a new SanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 USB 2.0 cardreader which is certified for Mac. Well, the �hang during transfer� problem disappeared! But�. another strange new problem surfaces � the SD card volume becomes �Read-only� in Finder. I can no longer copy any file onto my SD card with my Powerbook! But using the same SanDisk card reader and the same SD card on PC, everything becomes normal (no more readonly). And to be even more weird, the SD card volume returns to normal if I plug the SD Card in my old generic card reader and connect it to the Powerbook. What the hell is going on!

Sorry for a long message and my lousy English, to sum up in short:
Card reader A: Generic 2.0 8-in-1
Card reader B: SanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1 Mac certified

Reader-A and Reader-B both work normally with Dell notebook.
Reader-A + SD/CF/MS-Pro would �hang during transfer� occasionally.
Reader-B + SD would becomes a �Read-only� volume (as shown in Finder and Disk Utility)
Reader-A + same SD the volume would return to �Read-Write� again

Any helps?
Just switched.
PB17, 1.67G, 1.5Gb RAM, 100G HD, Superdrive Pleiades 800+ w/ 250G HD, iSight, Apple BT mice, Logitech MX900, RadTech PowerSleevz & ScreensavRz, iSkin ProTouchPB, STM Brink Shouldbag, Waterfield iSight Case
iPod G4 40G, Shure E2C

Forum Links
Forum Rules